Toronto Neighbourhoods

Vancouver Fan

My wife and I will be attending the Belize match on June 13th and am looking for a hotel in a safe Toronto neighborhood.Preferably near some good ethnic restaraunts and pubs where I could watch some Euro matches.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you are flying into Toronto, there are a lot of hotels around the airport itself, though they can be pricey. If you want to shorten your drive from Toronto to Kingston on the day of the games you might want to pick a hotel on the east side of the city (the airport is on the west side).

Most of the neighbourhoods are relatively safe in Toronto, espcially in the surrounding burbs. Probably somebody who actually lives in the city (I'm live in a subburb that shares a border with Toronto to the north east) might be able to answer that better than I could as to what specific areas to avoid.

Are you going to be sitting on the same side of the stadium as the rest of the Voyageurs? You'll have to introduce yourself when you get to the stadium, I'm sure we'll be easy to spot.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

My wife and I will be attending the Belize match on June 13th and am looking for a hotel in a safe Toronto neighborhood.Preferably near some good ethnic restaraunts and pubs where I could watch some Euro matches.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If you're staying downtown, somewhere west of Yonge street is generally better than anywhere east of that street. Avoid the suburbs if you don't have a car (or don't wanna die of boredom).

Gian-luca,I'll definitely be with Voyageurs as I have my tickets from Tyler.I'm waiting to hear the location of the pregame festivities.I've been waiting almost 7 years for the opportunity to watch the national team on Canadian soil again and to be part of the Voyageurs for the first time(not counting Pasadena with Geoff Wallace and myself)will be special.

I will have a car and I'm not worried about traffic.Can't be as bad as Vancouver.I'm looking for a hotel that is mid priced,maybe older with some character.Perhaps just outside the hub of downtown.We don't mind walking an hour or two to sight see.

Excellent idea!!

In terms of neighbourhoods for Euro, I recommend College St, which is a few blocks north of Queen. College & Bathurst is around the eastern-most point of Little Italy, which will have a good atmosphere, with the downside of the atmosphere being provided by Italy supporters. Further west of there (closer to Ossington) is Little Portugal (which turns into Little Brazil after Portugal get eliminated from World Cups). Both areas should provide good Euro viewing.

Queen and Bathurst is a bit of a dead zone in and of itself. The lively part of Queen is further east, near Spadina heading east towards University. Lots of fun, but not very ethnic. So I'd recommend staying north or east of Queen & Bathurst. Kensington Market and Chinatown also closer to Spadina.

There is no Little Spain, unfortunately. Has anyone figured out where Spanish supporters gather? There's not too much French support, but I recall them showing one of the French restaurants down near King & Spadina during WC98, and that's where we all partied on the street thereafter.

English supporters are scattered all over the city. Several good places to watch on Yonge, generally further north (Wellesley and north).

Also to consider is proximity to the subway line. Spadina is a 10-minute walk to the subway line, whereas you'll probably need to take a streetcar to/from get to the subway line if you're staying near Bathurst.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

There is no Little Spain, unfortunately. Has anyone figured out where Spanish supporters gather?

One is a regular at "Embrujo Flamenco Tapas Bar" and the other Spaniard has been spotted at "Casa Barcelona" on occasion. ;)

Thats a good question. Judging from your requirements, the perfect spot could be hard to find. If you are looking for cultural diversity, then that would mean going out to the suburbs where you risk getting bored since it would be hard to get around without a car. The down town can be extremely pricey but not culturally diverse. I like sstacko's suggestion of something near college and Dufferin, that area has some great cafe's and patios but I don't know what hotel's if any are close to there. the best compromise IMO might be smack in Mid town ( Yonge/Bloor and Bay/Bloor). whereby you would be on the subway line, not in a desolate area, safe, close to cultural neighborhoods, and not excessively pricey relative to downtown and airport. There are accomodation areas in midtown, but not many. good luck

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

In terms of neighbourhoods for Euro, I recommend College St, which is a few blocks north of Queen. College & Bathurst is around the eastern-most point of Little Italy, which will have a good atmosphere, with the downside of the atmosphere being provided by Italy supporters. Further west of there (closer to Ossington) is Little Portugal (which turns into Little Brazil after Portugal get eliminated from World Cups).

Well, given the fact that Vancouver Fan is Italian himself he might not mind "lowering" himself to party with other Italian supporters.

I don't like the wannabes that make up the majority of the azzurri revellers, either, but it's silly to single them out when the Portuguese supporters are no better, and are worse in at least one way (ie. pretending to be Brazilian (the key word here being "pretending", not "Brazilian")).

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Thats a good question. Judging from your requirements, the perfect spot could be hard to find. If you are looking for cultural diversity, then that would mean going out to the suburbs where you risk getting bored since it would be hard to get around without a car. The down town can be extremely pricey but not culturally diverse. I like sstacko's suggestion of something near college and Dufferin, that area has some great cafe's and patios but I don't know what hotel's if any are close to there. the best compromise IMO might be smack in Mid town ( Yonge/Bloor and Bay/Bloor). whereby you would be on the subway line, not in a desolate area, safe, close to cultural neighborhoods, and not excessively pricey relative to downtown and airport. There are accomodation areas in midtown, but not many. good luck

Thanks a lot Free Kick(and everyone else).I will be renting a car and don't mind being outside the city centre if it means saving money and getting better sleep in a quieter neighborhood.Do you recomend a nice area outside the downtown core?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:

Excellent idea!!

There is no Little Spain, unfortunately. Has anyone figured out where Spanish supporters gather?

The fact is that there is really no such thing as Spanish support except where emmigrant workers ended up in Germany, Switzerland, the Lowlands, France, in the 1960s. In all of the Western Hemisphere the immigration from Spain is pretty well divided by regional cultural centres, like Catalan, Gallego, Basque. So there is no really cohesive Spanish community, as even those without their own pervading linguistic tradition, like say Andalusia and Asturias, don't have enough cultural bonds to want to get together and cheer for la furia. And of those mentioned only the Gallego's might really be Spain fans after decades away from home.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Well, given the fact that Vancouver Fan is Italian himself he might not mind "lowering" himself to party with other Italian supporters.

I don't like the wannabes that make up the majority of the azzurri revellers, either, but it's silly to single them out when the Portuguese supporters are no better, and are worse in at least one way (ie. pretending to be Brazilian (the key word here being "pretending", not "Brazilian")).

DJT,like most Italians I enjoy celebrating important Azzurri triumphs and look forward to doing so in Little Italy next month.Like yourself however,I'd like to think that I am a bit more sophisticated than the obnoxious wannabes that turn up every 2 years.

Anyway,my main objective for the trip is to help the Voyageurs cheer Canada to victory.Any extra culture I might encounter will be a bonus.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Thanks a lot Free Kick(and everyone else).I will be renting a car and don't mind being outside the city centre if it means saving money and getting better sleep in a quieter neighborhood.Do you recomend a nice area outside the downtown core?

If you have a car, then I would recomend this place.

http://www.odeoda.com/Hotel+-+Inn+On+The+Park+Toronto,+Toronto,+Kanada.html

very nice area right next to sunnybrook park. very centrally located but not downtown. close to Yonge Eglington ( midtown). roughly a km fro the Don Vally parkway which can take you to north to 401 ( ie.: towards Kingston) or downtown which is roughly 15 minutes. plenty of green space. I can't imaging it being as pricy as downtown but I really don't know how much it will cost. I've been to this property for a corporate function once and I was quite impressed.

only two drawbacks:

1) not much in the way of dinning and entertainment immediately outside the property but if you have a car you should be fine.

2) I don't know about the price It could be expensive

If you have a car you mite as well stay in mississauga 110% cheaper its a clean city and its a 10 min drive to downtown. Center of the city is a major highways taht get u to kingston rite under your nose. Novotel on Hurontario(Highway10) and burnaphthorpe rite across Square 1 Ontarions BIGGEST MALL. @ minutes away from the 403 whoch takes u rite into downtown. or 5km south to teh QEW (queen elizabeth way) which takes u rite towards teh CN tower skydome and the ACC. Well if you need more info just ask. I serioulsy sugguest Missisauga unless u want to stay downtown.

Thanks everyone but we made the decision tonight and booked 4 nights at the Courtyard on Yonge St near Maple Leaf Gardens.It's expensive but we do get buffet breakfast included every day.We like to walk a lot so I'm sure we'll get a good chance to visit the many different neighbourhoods nearby.

Archived