Women's U-19 Draw/Ticket News

Women's Under-19 Team

Monday, April 05, 2004

Field set for 2004 CONCACAF U-19 Final Round Qualification

The field is set after the conclusion of the 2004 CONCACAF Under-19 Women’s Final Rund Qualification draw today, at the offices of the CONCACAF General Secretariat in New York City. The draw was presided over by CONCACAF Deputy General Secretary Ted Howard.

The host, Canada is in Group A along with Mexico, Panama and Jamaica, while the defending FIFA U-19 World Champions, USA will compete in Group B along side Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago and Dominican Republic at the CONCACAF event.

The eight-team tournament runs from 28 May - 6 June in Ottawa’s Frank Clair Stadium and Montreal’s McGill University Molson Stadium in Canada and will qualify two CONCACAF nations to the 2004 FIFA U-19 World Championship in Thailand from 10-27 November.

This is the second time that CONCACAF has staged a qualifying event for the U-19 World Championship the previous one taking place in Trinidad & Tobago in 2002.

2004 CONCACAF U-19 FINAL ROUND QUALIFICATION

Venues:

Montreal - McGill University Molson Stadium

Ottawa - Frank Clair Stadium

Group A: Canada, Mexico, Panama, Jamaica

Group B: USA, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, Dominican Republic

Schedule of Matches

May 28

Montreal

16:30 - Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago

19:00 - Canada vs. Jamaica

Ottawa

16:30 - Mexico vs. Panama

19:00 - USA vs. Dominican Republic

May 30

Montreal

15:30 - Costa Rica vs. Dominican Republic

18:00 - USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Ottawa

15:30 - Mexico vs. Jamaica

18:00 - Canada vs. Panama

June 1

Montreal

16:30 - Trinidad & Tobago vs. Dominican Republic

19:00 - USA vs. Costa Rica

Ottawa

16:30 - Panama vs. Jamaica

19:00 - Canada vs. Mexico

June 4 Semifinals

Montreal

17:30 - Group B Winner vs. Group A Runner-up

20:00 - Group A Winner vs. Group B Runner-up

June 6 Finals

Ottawa

10:00 - Third-Place Game

13:00 - Final

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1689

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Women's Under-19 Team

Monday, April 05, 2004

Ottawa Tickets For Women's U-19 Qualification On Sale Today

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association today announced that 4-Day Tournament passes for the upcoming CONCACAF Women’s U-19 Qualifying Tournament at Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa will go on sale today through Ticketmaster outlets at a reduced price of $39.00 plus handling and convenience charges.

Tournament passes are reserved seats located on the north side and include three Ottawa pool round games and the final. Passes are available at all Ticketmaster ticket centers, the Ottawa Ticketmaster charge-by-phone centre at (613) 755-1166, and on the Ticketmaster website (www.ticketmaster.ca). Purchasing a 4-Day Tournament pass also reduces the convenience charge and handling cost.

Passes purchased online between Friday, April 2nd and Sunday, April 25th will entitle the buyer to enter a draw for various sports prizes including: one signed 2003 Canadian Women’s World Cup team ball, one signed Men’s World Cup team ball, four tickets to the U-19 Canada v Germany game in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13th, five pairs of tickets for the Men’s World Cup Qualifying match against Belize on Wednesday, June 16th, two season tickets to the 2004 Ottawa Fury W-League Season, and four front row tickets to an Ottawa Lynx home game (courtesy of Ticketmaster).

Single game day tickets will be offered at a later date at a price of $9.00 for pool round games, and $12.00 or $17.00 for the consolation/final game day.

South side general admission bulk tournament passes, priced at $10.00 per pass, are available to members of the Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association (EODSA) through Melanie Rutherford EODSA - (613) 233-6561.

Tournament Information

Ottawa will host Group A which includes Mexico, Panama, and Jamaica at Frank Clair Stadium beginning on Friday, May 28th and the final on Sunday, June 6th at 1:00 p.m. ET.

Canada will play its opening round game in Montreal on Friday, May 28th at 7:00 p.m. before moving to Ottawa to play its remaining two pool round matches on Sunday, May 30th at 6:00 p.m. and Tuesday, June 1st at 7:00 p.m.

The defending FIFA U-19 World Champions, USA will compete in Group B along side Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago and Dominican Republic at the CONCACAF event.

2004 CONCACAF U-19 FINAL ROUND QUALIFICATION

Venues:

Montreal - McGill University Molson Stadium

Ottawa - Frank Clair Stadium

Group A: Canada, Mexico, Panama, Jamaica

Group B: USA, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, Dominican Republic

Schedule of Matches

May 28

Montreal

16:30 - Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago

19:00 - Canada vs. Jamaica

Ottawa

16:30 - Mexico vs. Panama

19:00 - USA vs. Dominican Republic

May 30

Montreal

15:30 - Costa Rica vs. Dominican Republic

18:00 - USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Ottawa

15:30 - Mexico vs. Jamaica

18:00 - Canada vs. Panama

June 1

Montreal

16:30 - Trinidad & Tobago vs. Dominican Republic

19:00 - USA vs. Costa Rica

Ottawa

16:30 - Panama vs. Jamaica

19:00 - Canada vs. Mexico

June 4 Semifinals

Montreal

17:30 - Group B Winner vs. Group A Runner-up

20:00 - Group A Winner vs. Group B Runner-up

June 6 Finals

Ottawa

10:00 - Third-Place Game

13:00 - Final

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1690

• 4 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Do these stadiums have grass surfaces? Last I saw of Frank Clair stadium it was astroturf but that was a couple years ago...

Both Frank Clair and Molson have FieldTurf pitches.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Do these stadiums have grass surfaces? Last I saw of Frank Clair stadium it was astroturf but that was a couple years ago...

Ticket prices seem steep nonetheless. Do they not realize the age of the majority of people who'll be attending?

Well, they did have a sale for several months for members of the local and provincial soccer associations at the two venues, which still may be available, so most of the "soccer families" with kids have had an opportunity to buy cheap passes. I know from a poster on GoBigRed that $10 passes for all the matches in Montreal are still available to members of the Quebec Soccer Association, and probably the same situation exists in Ottawa. Check.

That being said, the prices are indeed steep for the level of soccer (not an insult, I'd gladly go and pay if I lived in that area). By comparison, for the WORLD U-19 Championships in Edmonton in 2002, I (not being an Alberta Soocer member) bought an outside pass for the SIX days of double matches (12 games, as opposed to the 8 games for these passes) for just $24 (I think, I sent the ticket stubs to that guy in Belgium). Compare that to the $39 for the four match dates at each site. I think the walk-up tickets (regardless of whether it was a grup or layoff match) was only 6 dollars (I think). Further, I think that the families involved in local soccer got passes for the whole Edmonton series for only about $8. It was probably cheaper for several reasons:

1. The city which owns Commonwealth was probably cooperating well, because such an event usually is seen as more important to civic image than in the East or the Left Coast. Again, that's not an insult, it's just a prairie thing.

2. Alberta Soccer is one of the best organized soccer associations anywhere, and probably got a lot more local financial support by various means.

3. The larger number of both guaranteed tcikets/passes and walk-ips probably meant more financial income. There is no way the crowds in

Ottawa or Montreal could approach what was/is achieved in Edmonton.

4. Given that it was a World event, as opposed to a continental event, meant that the image of attendance to the CSA (who probanly did somesubsidizing, along with FIFA)on down was more important than financial success. The attendance or lack thereof next month will have very little bearing on whether Canada gets major sports events like the U-20 Men's WYC in 2007 (whereas Bladder[:o)] and various other FIFA brass were blown away by the crowds they witnessed in Edmonton).

Good luck to our girls in Ottawa and Montreal! I wish I could go. It will be some exciting football, and I encourage everyone to go!

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Well, they did have a sale for several months for members of the local and provincial soccer associations at the two venues, which still may be available, so most of the "soccer families" with kids have had an opportunity to buy cheap passes. I know from a poster on GoBigRed that $10 passes for all the matches in Montreal are still available to members of the Quebec Soccer Association, and probably the same situation exists in Ottawa. Check........

Good luck to our girls in Ottawa and Montreal! I wish I could go. It will be some exciting football, and I encourage everyone to go!

Every soccer club in Quebec still have access to the $10.00 passes.

Anyone can call their local club to buy tickets or

email soccerinmontreal.com

There is also an interesting twist to buying the tickets from admission.com

They have the venue map for McGill stadium but they will not make it available to soccer supporters over the internet.

Therefore unless you are a Montreal Alouette season ticket holder you will have no idea where your seats are.

I have spoken to the sales staff on the phone and they will not give any reason for this but admit they have the venue map in their own hands.

Archived