New Vancouver Whitecaps kit

Vancouver's new home kit on the left; Vancouver's old 1979 kit on the right.

cover1.jpg

11.jpg

5.jpg

"To commemorate [the 25th anniversary of Vancouver's Soccer Bowl victory in 1979] the Whitecaps and Umbro are proud to announce the design of new home and away uniforms featuring contemporary updates to the classic retro-style jersey worn during the Soccer Bowl winning season. Umbro has developed unique features for the new jerseys that include a silver star over the Whitecaps logo, signifying the 25th anniversary of the Soccer Bowl win and a distinctive red maple leaf on each sleeve. The Whitecaps and Umbro will be launching the new jerseys as part of an exclusive merchandising collection that also features a new Whitecaps Women’s jersey. The collection will be available in stores and on-site at Swangard on opening night."

Personally, I would have preferred:

-larger maple leaves on the side of the arms

-a better font (it looks rather bleak)

-a blue, flaired collar, ala 1979 (not a boring, white one)

-five stars, rather than just one

I realize the single star is there to commemorate the 1979 Soccer Bowl victory, but why ignore Vancouver's four CSL championships? Sure, the 86ers were a different club, but that's a sorry excuse, as today's Whitecaps are just the 86ers with a name-change.

I guess four "royal blue" stars would take attention away from the grey star... so why not have two light blue stars on each side of the grey star, and perhaps outline the grey star in a thin black line to help it stand out?

I have to say that I like the blue stripes on the sleeves... gives the kit a bit more presence. Not that I necessarily prefer it to "tubing" on the sleeves from the old jersey, but it's a decent alternative.

And thank god we've gone back to Umbro!

Now that I've had a good look at how the turquoise was used on the 1979 kit, I must say that Umbro sure screwed up with the turquoise "shoe lacing" on the 2001-02 kit. It looks much better when it's not quite at the edge of the royal blue, rather than bordering the blue.

Is that an 'Admiral' kit on the right ? Looks like the old Admiral logo on it. I think the 1979, whoever made it, looks nicer.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Vancouver's new home kit on the left; Vancouver's old 1979 kit on the right.

The only thing I find highly objectionable on either jersey is the huge #5 on the 1979 version. Yuck.

I've twice tried to buy a Whitecaps jersey over the last two seasons and both times they didn't have any large or extra large sizes available. Perhaps that turned out to be a good thing since now I can get this "special edition".

quote:Originally posted by WildboutCdnScr

Who else had one of those as a kid (or at least a reasonable look-alike). It was all the rage when I was young and that was my first soccer ball.

I learned to play with a replica...the good old days of the Montreal Manic. I remember my first pro game. My dad took me to the Big O to watch the home opener of the Manic vs the Blizzard...memories...

quote:

I realize the single star is there to commemorate the 1979 Soccer Bowl victory, but why ignore Vancouver's four CSL championships? Sure, the 86ers were a different club, but that's a sorry excuse, as today's Whitecaps are just the 86ers with a name-change.

Actually the 86ers are the SAME club as the present Whitecaps. When we are talking "franchises" the 86ers and the present day Whitecaps are the same franchise, hence the same club. The only thing different is the nickname change. It's the original Whitecaps from the NASL days that are a different club. Five stars would have been more appropriate as many fans have taken to include all incarnations of Whitecaps and 86ers as the same club. To ignore the achievements of the CSL 86ers (the same franchise as they presently are) while honouring the 1979 Whitecaps (not related to todays club) is really bad form by the club. Come to think of it, certain ex-86ers who were against the name change to Whitecaps were actually afraid of the 86ers achievements being ignored and forgotten.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Actually the 86ers are the SAME club as the present Whitecaps. When we are talking "franchises" the 86ers and the present day Whitecaps are the same franchise, hence the same club. The only thing different is the nickname change.

Yeah, when I said "the 86ers were a different club", I meant different from the original Whitecaps, not the current club.

My point was that the original Whitecaps won the Soccer Bowl once, and the 86ers won the CSL as a seperate club, but that all silverware should be honoured by the current club, especially as the Soccer Bowl was won by a predecessor, while the CSL titles were won by the current club (with only a name change).

• 1 month later...

Archived