WOQ: Canada vs. Jamaica [R]

DJT

Ends 6-0. Sinclair with a hat trick. Not much to watch. At approximately the 12 minute mark Canada strung together 6 passes. At no other point did they go higher than 3 before launching a long ball or cross. I am sure they will get to Athen's but I wish they would upgrade their playing style.

Some random thoughts after recently finishing viewing the match.

-man you've got to either be absolutely stone-cold hardcore or certifiably psychotic to want to watch this. I'm not sure which category I fall into though my girlfriend has some ideas. Soccer anti-entertainment with Gerry and Heather "Soooo..." Stoumbos canned commnetary! I can barely imagine anything more brain destroying.

-Canada needs to learn how to head the ball. Being "big, tough, and physical" means little when you can't turn a single cross towards goal.

-give me this new 16 year-old wonderkid over "No-First-Touch" Latham anyday. It's embarrassing to watch balls bounce off of Latham in her attempts at control... she even missed the ball completely on her first attempt to strike the ball on her goal and was lucky that it ended up caught in her feet. Credit to her for some actually decent hold-up play and layoff for Moscato though.

-Sinclair shows flashes of real skill. I just wish she looked like she wants to run faster than second gear sometimes.

-I still think that Matheson is the most underrated player on the squad (this goes back to a thread on OntarioSoccerWeb during the WWC) but she needs to stop going to ground so often. Some of her slides were great early but then she seemed to enjoy her success and got too enthusiastic about diving in. She's got the chance to be a real terrier in midfeild for the next decade though.

-in the end not a great ad for women's soccer to those Costa Ricans wandering in at the end (I presume the home nation was playing next).

Mike.

As a televised sporting spectacle it was pretty painful to watch (though I gave up after the first half, given that it was past midnight here & I already knew the score). That's not all down to the quality of soccer on display (and I'm blaming Jamaica more than Canada in this respect), but also due to the excruciatingly painful commentary by Dobson & Stoumbos - I get the impression that no matter how many soccer games they watch/call, they are never actually going to learn anything about it. Somebody might want to tell Gerry to stop using expressions like "To a man, this team feels that...." when talking about the women.

Matheson & Sinclair looked good in the half I saw, but it was pretty non-descript otherwise. Lang seemed to have a bit of an off-night by her standards. Not sure why we should bother playing 4 at the back against teams like this.

They must had to sedate Timko when she found out she wasn't starting.

Smart move though as she'll be needed more in the semi's and final.

Kiss won't be missed as much as some may have thought as the team has more depth as Pellerud has mentioned.

Considering the last match against the USA at the 2003WWC the team has added Nault,Tancredi,Jamani,Maranda and injured players (Hermus,Dennis,Moscato,Morneau) are fit again.

If Chapman and Boyd can also get ready the future will be rosy.

Hooper adjusting to the new spot offers her yet another challenge.

Quebec based players shut out of playing time but I don't see anything political about that.

The only downside is it would help sell the U19 tournament easier with Maranda scoring goals.

Oh, one other observation I forgot:

-it would be nice to think that a ref appointed to an Olympic qualifier would actually know the current rules of the game. Last time I checked - and you see it all the time no matter how inane the rule is - a foul by the last (wo)man on a player advancing towards goal that denies a goal scoring oppurtunity is a straight red not a yellow. Add to the fact that the foul was from behind, obviously deliberate, and violent and a yellow is pretty laughable. It doesn't matter if you feel sorry for the team because you know they're going to get hammered. You can't cherry pick the rules.

Mike

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

Quebec based players shut out of playing time but I don't see anything political about that.

Hey, Mtl fan, if you didn't see anything political in the fact that the Quebec-based players were shut out of playing time, then why even mention it? This bs about Quebec has to stop. Quebec players will make our teams IF they are good enough, plain and simple. What does a Norweigian care about Canada-Quebec bs politics? What does Yallop care, for that matter? They just want to win. They just want the best players for their teams, no matter what province they come from, no matter what language they speak. (I have grenouille blood and live in an anglo province; I want Quebec IN Canada; I want Quebecois to keep their language strong and their culture vibrant, and I detest anti-Quebec sentiment, the sort you hear from the ass-eating former Alliance party, but I am starting to get sick and tired of the prima donna tendencies of Quebeckers and Quebecois.)

On the game itself: What an ugly spectacle! Our women looked rough, out of shape and out of season. Their touches, for the most part, were wooden. I cannot see Hermus cracking the line-up once we get Chapman and Boyd back. She is slow, cannot pass, and only has one idea: lump the ball way up field. Now, to her defense, Pellerud has probably told her to lump it up field at every chance, but still...

Somebody was knocking Latham's touch: I say, fair enough for most of the first half, but did you watch the second. No, she wasn't silky-deft, but she was much much better. Clearly, even our best players are rusty. Sinclair was good but showed signs of rust. And, to her defense, she DID run hard and fast in the first half and for the better part of the second. As soon as the game was in the bag, she took it down a notch or two, did not go into 50-50 challenges like she'd done earlier in the game. I think this is wise of her.

Moscato looked good. She needs more time on the pitch. Her passing and poise is perfect for the mid.

Hooper looked lost in mid, though she performed well enough, as usual. Learning how to play in the midfield will take some time. It is possibly the hardest position to learn, center mid, but if anyone can do it--and excel--then Hooper is the one. Still, I can't help but feel she'd be better off at center back. Push Nonen out left and sub Hermus. Tancredi can jump and Hooper can sweep. That isn't a bad combo. Or, let Timko jump. Her ball skills, speed and strengths in the air would be great down the middle of the pitch.

Matheson was good, but would even be better if the team learned to show support. She wins the ball and then lumps it forward--like most everyone--but often shows signs that she'd like to lay off short passes and lateral passes. Moscato showed these signs, too, scored a lovely goal, and was even more precise in her long passes. With a few years of US college soccer, she should quickly become a key component of her midfield. She is damned smart, and will replace Kiss in a flash. (I still want Kiss around, though).

Nonen is awesome. The only good defender we have right now. Dennis could become a good defender, but she still looks timid and uncertain. Chapman and Boyd must come back soon. Chapman is perhaps the best all-round player we have after Hooper. Imagine this line-up:

Swiatek

Chapman Nonen Boyd

Tancredi

Lang Moscato Hooper Timko

Latham Sinclair

-----

I wouldn't mind seeing Dennis take a run at right mid. Lang is still not in game shape after her injury. That was clear last night.

We should show better against Panama. Better passing, better finishing, much better touches. We will get stronger every game. By the time we play Mexico (too confident?) we should be in decent shape.

I get the vague, perhaps naive, impression that Pellerud is trying to introduce a more sophiticated game to this team. Just a feeling.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Hey, Mtl fan, if you didn't see anything political in the fact that the Quebec-based players were shut out of playing time, then why even mention it? This bs about Quebec has to stop. Quebec players will make our teams IF they are good enough, plain and simple. What does a Norweigian care about Canada-Quebec bs politics? What does Yallop care, for that matter? They just want to win. They just want the best players for their teams, no matter what province they come from, no matter what language they speak. (I have grenouille blood and live in an anglo province; I want Quebec IN Canada; I want Quebecois to keep their language strong and their culture vibrant, and I detest anti-Quebec sentiment, the sort you hear from the ass-eating former Alliance party, but I am starting to get sick and tired of the prima donna tendencies of Quebeckers and Quebecois.)

Take it easy!

I mentioned it from a marketing perspective period.

Maranda, Morneau and Nault are more marketable in Quebec than any of the others including Wilkinson (West Island of Montreal).

Eric Gagne is a bigger draw for baseball in Montreal than the home team is.

I never believed that politics played a role in the selection of players so I made my point.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tancredi with a little pressure on her. It's easy to look good when you have all day on the ball. I liked the flashes Jamani showed. It's nice to have some real pace available up front and though Wilkinson is quick, Jamani looks like she can really move.That's only going to create more space for the pure finishers like the Christines.

It wasn't pretty and we're going to need to shore up our finishing, but hey 6-0 is 6-0 and we absolutely dominated without playing great. Let's get better against Panama and keep building.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Oh, one other observation I forgot:

-it would be nice to think that a ref appointed to an Olympic qualifier would actually know the current rules of the game. Last time I checked - and you see it all the time no matter how inane the rule is - a foul by the last (wo)man on a player advancing towards goal that denies a goal scoring oppurtunity is a straight red not a yellow. Add to the fact that the foul was from behind, obviously deliberate, and violent and a yellow is pretty laughable. It doesn't matter if you feel sorry for the team because you know they're going to get hammered. You can't cherry pick the rules.

Mike

What can I say, you are totally right. The ref by issuing a caution (yellow card) to the player screw it up. If a card was to be shown, it should have been the red one and the offending player ejected. The ref would have been better off just giving the PK and no caution. And did you see all the hand balls? I don't think even one was called. Many other offenses were just ignored. The ARs missed a couple of calls, strange enough apparently on our favor. The Canadian girls always say the refing down south is bad. Guess they are right.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

Take it easy!

I mentioned it from a marketing perspective period.

Maranda, Morneau and Nault are more marketable in Quebec than any of the others including Wilkinson (West Island of Montreal).

Eric Gagne is a bigger draw for baseball in Montreal than the home team is.

I never believed that politics played a role in the selection of players so I made my point.

Okay, your last point makes little sense in light of what I was saying, but fair enough. I see what you are saying.

Habs just got Kovalev. Saku and Kovalev and Zednik. Now that is a good line.

Archived