OQ: Canada vs. Panama (R)

Gian-Luca

Oh man, if we lose to Panama...

I can't understand how on the one hand we keep developing better players, yet our results just keep getting worse. There was a time when a game vs Panama was virtually a "gimme"

My link was fading in & out so it might not be the final score - but frankly 2-2 would still put us in last since Panama will have score more goals.

I think Yallop needs to announce a March friendly, and soon, to get this negative feeling exterminated. We had a nice run started there with the U20's doing well & then a first win under Yallop, but this has put an end to that positive vibe.

Going back as far as I can remember, right back into the early 80s, we used to routinely beat everyone in the region except for Mex, and we were probably slightly better than CR and Honduras. Teams like Panama and Cuba were a joke, and Jamaica wasn't much better. This is embarassing and degrading. Losing to teams like Panama and Cuba should never happen. I hesitate to criticize our players, but come on. Something is very wrong here, and has been for several years.

The only way this could be excused is if we find out that Panama's roster is actually made up players who are all with Brazilian & Argentinian clubs or something. And that's really reaching. Otherwise, even without a lot of our better players in this match, looking at where our players play at the club level, this match comes down to our players not playing as well, either individually or together, which comes down to the coach.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Going back as far as I can remember, right back into the early 80s, we used to routinely beat everyone in the region except for Mex, and we were probably slightly better than CR and Honduras. Teams like Panama and Cuba were a joke, and Jamaica wasn't much better. This is embarassing and degrading. Losing to teams like Panama and Cuba should never happen. I hesitate to criticize our players, but come on. Something is very wrong here, and has been for several years.

Well, let's not go overboard. We never actually used to "routinely beat everyone except Mexico". Our full national team had never beaten Honduras until 1985, and it was a draw with Cuba that prevented us from qualifying for the 1982 World Cup.

That's not to say this result isn't unacceptable.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

My link was fading in & out so it might not be the final score - but frankly 2-2 would still put us in last since Panama will have score more goals.

Well I guess I should have stuck around after all. ;) It ended 2-1.

Archived