Strategy for dealing with Donovan in O.Qualifying

Gian-Luca

This report indicates he got red-carded in a friendly against a Mexican club side:

CONVEY, BEASLEY PACE U-23s IN 2-2 TIE WITH TECOS ON TUESDAY: In their second exhibition of 2004 and their first of two matches against Mexican club teams while in Guadalajara, the U-23s tied Tecos 2-2 at an auxiliary field adjacent to Tecos Stadium on Tuesday (Jan. 27). The U.S. struck first in the match, with Convey running on to a perfect Eskandarian through ball and providing a clinical finish on the breakway in the 13th minute. Tecos quickly struck back minutes later after Whitbread brought down an Pablo Metlich in the box. Powerful forward Sebastian "El Loco" Abreu slotted home the resulting penalty kick past Warren for the equalizer in the 16th minute. The first half had an ugly end, as Donovan reacted poorly to a foul tackle and exchanged shoves with defender Mario Rosales, resulting in the ejection of both players in the 42nd minute. Tecos took the lead in the 53rd minute when Abreu slipped away from defender Nat Borchers in the box, took a ball off his chest and finished from point-blank range past second-half sub D.J. Countess. Knowing Myernick would make wholesale substitutions around the 60th minute, the U.S. starters pushed to tie the game and got it back to 2-2 in the 57th minute. Marshall played a great ball out of the back to Convey on the right side of midfield, where he quickly turned to see Beasley streaking down the left flank and into the box. Beasley took Convey's pass in stride, touched it out of the reach of the defender and calmly slipped a low diagonal shot past the 'keeper at the far post. [Editor's Note: The Tecos, or owls, of la Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara (U.A.G.) are currently at the top of the recently started Clausura 2004 season with a 2-0-0 record.] Later today, the U-23s will meet the reserves team of Atlas, who just fell to Club America 2-1 last night in front of a huge crowd at Estadio Jalisco last night (Jan. 28) in the second leg of a playoff series to advance to the Copa Libertadores. Below is the lineup:

U-23s (4-4-2): Warren (Countess, 46); Whitbread (Lewis, 61), Marshall (Burciaga, 61), Borchers (Stokes, 61), Wingert (Carroll, 61); Beckerman (Pause, 61), Beasley (Gaven, 61), Davis (Jaqua, 61), Convey (Martino, 61); Donovan (ejected; Testo, 42), Eskandarian (Johnson, 61).

So my suggestion is lets get someone to go out there & get deliberately under his skin. We could get Pozniak to shadow him, and repeatedly say "Fresh, man!" to him in his best surfer-dude accent (with the emphasis on "man" - a word Donovan normally ends every sentence with). That will be enough to send Donovan into a rage, whereby he will foul Poz in frustration to try to get him to shut up, resulting in an ejection in the 27th minute.

[:o)]

I don't think this is the first time it's come up that Mr. Donovan can be put off his game with some rather enthusiastic (or is it fanatical?) man-marking. Especially the chippier, more physical sort.

He's still very young, and playing in the MLS so there's two ready built excuses. Sulking around the pitch 'cause your opposition isn't letting you have your way (heaven forbid!) isn't going to quite cut it as the years get on.

Can you tell I'm no fan of the guy?

P.S. Nice call GL, but I'm more a traditionalist. Calf rakings. Short knee shots to his thigh (accidental of course. Oops! Clumsy me). That sort of thing. A nice long shirt pull away from the play when the ref's eye is elsewhere is not only effective at slowing a man down but tends to crawl right up a guys nose the wrong way after the first time. I'm Landon fu'king Donavan! You can't do that to me, MAN!

Yeah I'm sure the Mexicans have their 'tongues in cheek' saying that. He was totally ineffective against them at the World Cup, wasn't he?? I need some expert opinion here.

He's been called 'baby Jesus' on bigsoccer.com since the U17 tourney in New Zealand. Now that Adu's here I don't know what that makes him. That's the problem with hyperbole, you kind of run out of ways to up it anymore.

I don't think you'll be able to throw Donovan off. In a game that means something, I don't think he'll take a rash red. I would sick Atiba on him though.

cheers,

matthew

Archived