Toronto Lynx Supporters club?

François

Here's the release. Looks to me like the Ultras are being marginalized in favor of a more "family friendly" group. Just look...fan club socials!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO LYNX SUPPORTERS CLUB MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LYNX FANS UNITE TO FORM OFFICIAL SUPPORTERS CLUB!

January 7, 2004 (TORONTO, ON) - Under the leadership of Drew Kellas and other “super fans” of the Toronto Lynx, Toronto's A-League Pro Soccer Club now has an official Supporters Club with a view to promote greater awareness and support of their beloved team. "Our mission is simple: to promote the awareness of the Lynx through doing what avid fans do naturally. Talk about the team that we love and invite people to come out to games and events", says the effervescent Kellas, who works for Manulife Financial, serves on the Board of Directors and coaches for the Scarborough Blizzard Soccer Club and also juggles fatherhood.

The establishment of the Toronto Lynx Supporters Club came about after much encouragement from the growing Lynx fan base and several meetings of a cross section of serious fans who have experience in various walks of life from media to marketing to legal and business know-how and who will form the Club's executive to be announced Saturday January 10th.

After meeting with the Lynx new head coach, Duncan Wilde, the group received further impetus to organize themselves in line with many supporters clubs overseas. Duncan is very supportive of the group stating, "Since my appointment as Lynx head coach, I have been attempting to familiarize myself with the workings of the club. I am very impressed with the structure and organization of the front office, together with the enthusiasm and energy that I have seen already within the supporters club. I am a firm believer that a strong positive relationship between the team and the supporters is a vital part of creating a successful club. It is a relationship taken very seriously by successful clubs around the world and I have already confirmed my support and intentions in an effort to create just that... A strong Toronto Lynx Supporters Club".

Nicole Hartrell, the Club's owner and Chief Operating officer has approved the formation of the club and looks forward to working more closely with Kellas and his team saying, "We are very impressed with this group of fans! To date, they have demonstrated that they have the commitment and the skills to organize themselves into a strong Supporters Club. I look forward to working more closely with them in the future and wish them every success".

The TLSC has established a temporary home at http://www.geocities.com/lynxfanz to kick things off. Lynx fans wishing to register with the Fan Club may do so online. All members will receive a fan club t-shirt; a membership card entitling them discounts on Lynx merchandise; special ticket discounts and invitations to Fan Club socials. The executive will also publish a year round Lynx newsletter with an inside look on the Lynx players, coaching staff and front office initiatives.

Fan Club Socials for the 2004 season will include: a soccer tournament; a fan club social to watch Lynx televised road games; traveling and dining with the team on road games to Montreal, Rochester and Syracuse. The TLSC will once again hold a Fan social in the fall for a "meet and greet" with Lynx players, coaching staff, management and Lynx alumni.

For more information on the Toronto Lynx Supporters Club Contact:

Drew Kellas, President

lynxfanz@yahoo.ca

(416) 438-1614

quote:Originally posted by François

We just got a media release on the new supporters club of the Toronto Lynx. Does that mean that the Ultras are dead? I hope not but what's the story behind that?

I'd like to state this:

The Toronto Ultras are not dead. Also, we are not the Toronto Lynx Supporters Club.

The Toronto Lynx has decided to go forward with creating an official fan club and this is the product of it.

The Toronto Ultras will continue forward in the same manner as before, and will continue in their role as the unofficial and supporters of the Toronto Lynx.

Follow this board over the next couple of days for big developments for the Toronto Ultras.

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

I'd like to state this:

The Toronto Ultras are not dead. Also, we are not the Toronto Lynx Supporters Club.

The Toronto Lynx has decided to go forward with creating an official fan club and this is the product of it.

The Toronto Ultras will continue forward in the same manner as before, and will continue in their role as the unofficial and supporters of the Toronto Lynx.

Follow this board over the next couple of days for big developments for the Toronto Ultras.

Happy to hear this. But were you guys involved in the setting up of the supporters club? Did the club discusse things with the Ultras?

You guys are «the fans» of the Lynx, why would the club want to divide forces?

A new fan joined the Toronto Ultras last season & encouraged us to go the official route, but nobody else in the group was interested. Nobody really saw the point, or they believed that the disadvantages of such a move would outweigh the advantages. The person mentioned above however wanted to go the official route & rather than turn the Ultras into something they are not, has formed a separate organization in connection with the club. I have no idea who the other members of the official club are, or how many of them there are at this stage.

It should be mentioned that I think a similar situation exists with Rochester, as there is the Stampede group & then the official "Safari" club.

This is great stuff. It looks like they expect people to pay for the priviledge of sitting with this group, which appears to be nothing more than a weak emulation of the Ultras. They even plan to play the Stampede and the Montreal Ultras in some supporters' tournament. How original. It's bad enough that this fragmentation has happened, but making it even worse is that it has been carried out by somebody that used to be with the Ultras..

To be fair, this thing could work. Drew has some decent ideas and he wants to help the lynx grow, and he couldnt do that with the ultras because we didnt want to help the club with somethings. So fair enough he did what he thought was best for his ideas.

You can see that it has worked so far, at the Lynx dinner my brother and I went to There were like 50+ people there, when a year before there were around 12 people. (all ultras)

Plus in the long run, they are looking at bus trips to places like rochester, montreal, etc... so that could help the ultras aswell since no one would need to drive and we could drink on the bus :)

So tho deviding fans is not good for the club, this isnt THAT bad of a thing. Since as you know in Canada not all true fans like to show there support by singing and chanting with a bunch of pyro freaks :)

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Since as you know in Canada not all true fans like to show there support by singing and chanting with a bunch of pyro freaks :)

That's the point I was about to make. The Ultras will still supply the atmosphere at the Lynx games, but if this new venture brings new fans into the fold, loyal fans at that, then all the better.

Besides, the kids coming to the games with their parents are potential future Ultras.

"Daddy, I wanna go sit with the people starting fires".

hmmmm....Hartrell needs an outlet to the fans and Drew is their new pecking boy. He had ideas to help the Ultras grow, which was fine, but i got the feeling and many others in the ultras, that only if the Hartrells have a say in the ultras daily rituals. sorry, but the real supporters are not run by the organization in any way.

Please, don't let me go into detail about the past, again, just look it up, its there.

Hartrells, sell the team for god sakes!!!!!!!!!

Archived