Manchester United USA Tour 2004

littleD

quote:Originally posted by littleD

July 25th - Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia

July 28th - Soldier Field, Chicago

July 31st - Giants Stadium, New York

Opposition not yet announced.

Could a stop in Toronto be in the works?

Not a chance the csa wants to bring a major event to canada it would be vancouver,edmonton,ottawa,montreal.There was a story late in the summer that these 4 are on the csa radar and with ottawa they would have to be real grass put in witch.Witch the city has already said they would split the cost of real grass.

It is very simple toronto had a chance a few years ago to show the csa they would and could support int soccer and they had very low attendance for two games.Yes it was womens soccer but they did fail.So the csa tested ottawa last year and ottawa showed they would suppor int soccer with both games the drew of 17.000 for each game.And that is why ottawa is the co-host of the under 19 event this year and if they draw big numbers again a bigger event will come to town.Witch will happen in 2004 or 2005 and we are talking mens national team.Back to toronto this could be yet a second chance for the city to show they will support soccer if they is anything less then 22,000 the csa could very well give up on toronto and look at other citys around canada.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

What chance was that?

The May 2001 friendly versus USA where it was a sellout at Varsity Stadium?

Please explain what games you're talking about? And what does the Canadian Womens soccer program have to do with an International club friendly?

YEah, exactly! Women's soccer might as well be a different sport. There's not much overlap between the set of fans of men's soccer and the set of women's soccer fans.

That being said, Man Utd is way too big for Ottawa. They're probably too big to bother with Toronto even.

I am not saying they can't support them.But there are a hand full of cities across canada that would support them.And just becuase toronto is the biggest does not mean its the best and should not be the first choice in some cases.With my post above toronto showed the did not come out in big numbers for certain games maybe if the right teams came it would get the support.With that beeing said the people of toronto have top get off there high horse.If its not canadian is not good they have the cfl but that not good enough they want an nfl team.They have a a-league team but thats not good enough they want mls i could go on and on and on.

Wow, you obviously have absolutely no clue about what you're talking about. Do you honestly believe for a split second that Man U could not sell out the SkyDome?

You arguments against Toronto are ludicrous at best. The Mexico WCQ in 2000? That was the last match of a fullblown disaster of a World Cup Qualifying campaign. Canada was eliminated about four months before that match even took place! Not to mention that the match was played in the middle of November, and yet Varsity (what little of it was still useable) was still sold out.

And the women's friendly you mentioned? That was also sold out, and this was before the women's program really even took off.

Regardless, a large european team like Man U could seel out any of the Big 3 Canadian cities, so this entire debate is pointless.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

4 years ago canada played mexico in toronto and it drew 8.000.

eer...that was four years ago though ... and even i didn't know we had a team back then ;) lol

if there was a game w/the canadian women's in the GTA ... i am sure they can draw as many as they did in montreal/ottawa this past summer. the game when canada played norge in summer of 2002 was sold out in centennial (in terms of stadium seats) and lots of ppl ended up on the grass.

and as mentioned above, the canada vs. usa game in 2001 was sold out too ... eventhough it didn't look like it was cause half the stadium was empty b/c you couldn't sit fans on that side of the stadium.

the reason why the canadian women haven't returned to the GTA isn't b/c there isn't support...it's b/c there isn't a stadium in the area that would be suitable now. centennial just won't cut it in terms of how many they can hold.

just my two cents

elaine

Maybe we could stop bashing places and start promoting them to get more of us out and more of us travelling to the other great cities across the country. If the June 12 game is in Kingston, I plan on flying (or if poor, taking the greypuppy) to Toronto to rally with some of the central Canada Voyageuers and catch our first competitive match in Canada in years. (I have to ask my wife first, of course,[V])

Canadiankick97, you still getting me at the airport/bus depot?:D

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

agree with u 100% Rudi. any large europen team could seel out in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

I couldn't agree less! Only Man Utd could sell-out for sure. I think the summer tour of 2003 proves this. In that, even Milan-Juve supercup game had 25,000 empty seats. Celtic-Boca drew a very small crowd. And in 2002 Roma-Real Madrid also did not sell out.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think there is a question of saturation. You can sell out if it is a one-off thing, but if you saw Man U last year, perhaps you would not return the next, unless you were die-hard.

It also helps to be playing for something. If they made a mini tournament out of it and there was a trophy to be played for, apart from the appearance fee, or maybe increased fees based on results (a la Champions) maybe the quality would be better, and fan interest sharper.

In any case, in Canada's top stadium (Edmonton), or a grass-coverd Skydome, I am sure a Juve-Celtic or Man U-Barça would sell out or near to it.

• 1 month later...

Man Utd v Roma --> July 31st Giants Stadium

Man Utd v Bayern Munich --> Chicago

Man Utd v Celtic --> Philadelphia

I heard rumours that the Celtic match might be cancelled because of some tension/pressure from the Irish. But I don't really pay attention to that BS so I'm not sure about what's exactly going on there. Anyone?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I heard rumours that the Celtic match might be cancelled because of some tension/pressure from the Irish. But I don't really pay attention to that BS so I'm not sure about what's exactly going on there. Anyone?

Haven't heard anything about the cancellation yet but there are still hurdles that need to be cleared on the organizing side.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Man Utd v Roma --> July 31st Giants Stadium

Man Utd v Bayern Munich --> Chicago

Man Utd v Celtic --> Philadelphia

The source???

Archived