Manchester United USA Tour 2004

littleD

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

It is very simple toronto had a chance a few years ago to show the csa they would and could support int soccer and they had very low attendance for two games.

This statement isn't true in the slightest, and has no relevance to a possible Man. Utd stop in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by François

The source???

I don't know of any ONline source yet, sorry.

Last year the tickets for the Juve - Man Utd game went on sale St. Patrick's Day. I remember that. (Just to give people an idea when they might go on sale this time)

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by François

keep us posted. I will make the trip to New Jersey again this year and I can't wait to get tickets...

I doubt if anyone cares, but:

Sat, July 24: Chelsea FC vs. MLS All-Stars -- RFK Stadium, Washington

-confirmed-

PS... Funny post on BigSoccer responding to this news:

Originally posted by Deuteriumoxide

----------Howard

Dancer---E. Bunny---Prancer

----Dhali Lama--Donner

Blitzen----------------Comet

------------jesus

---------Buhdda

----------------Cupid

vs MLS Allstars

=still don't care

---

Rudolph misses out on yet another reindeer game. :)

From the NY Times... one of the dates conflicts with the post I just made, so I don't know what's going on exactly... since this is from the NY times and the Chelsea - MLS game came from World Soccer Weekly Radio show, I would trust this one more! :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/16/sports/soccer/16SOCC.html

European Series Will Return

By JACK BELL

Published: March 16, 2004

Manchester United's season in England may be disintegrating, but there is another money-spinning tour of the United States this summer for the Red Devils.

The club will again have top billing for the nine-team, 12-game ChampionsWorld Series in July, playing matches in Chicago, Philadelphia and East Rutherford, N.J. Manchester United will be joined on the tour by Glasgow Celtic and probably Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Porto, A.C. Milan, A.S. Roma, Juventus and Liverpool.

United, a perennial power in the English Premier League, is in third place, and it was eliminated from the Champions League last week.

ChampionsWorld, which is based in Moonachie, N.J., will make an announcement on its Web site, championsworld.com, at noon Thursday. Tickets could go on sale later this month.

The series will begin July 24, when Chelsea plays Celtic at Seahawks Stadium in Seattle. Manchester United will play Bayern Munich at Soldier Field in Chicago the next day, then face Celtic at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on July 28. United will end its part of the tour July 31 at Giants Stadium, probably against A.C. Milan, which is the current league leader in Italy's Serie A.

It is also possible that one match could be played at Princeton Stadium; Princeton University happens to be the alma mater of ChampionsWorld's chief executive, Charlie Stillitano.

Los Angeles, the site of the Manchester United-Club América match last year, has been dropped from the tour and replaced by Toronto, which will probably play host to a match between Celtic and an Italian club on either July 30 or 31.

As was the case last year, grass fields will cover artificial surfaces in Seattle, the Skydome in Toronto and Giants Stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands.

All of the clubs will be operating on tight schedules, coming to the United States only weeks after the European Championships in Portugal and at the end of the Copa América tournament in Peru.

There is also a possibility that one of the clubs in the ChampionsWorld series could be involved with Major League Soccer, which has been seeking a top European club team to play a league all-star team on July 24.

METROSTARS

Losing a Draftee on a Trip to Spain

The money talked, and Oliver Occean walked away from the MetroStars to Norway.

Occean, a striker from Canada who played in college at Southern Connecticut State, was drafted by the MetroStars in the third round (61st over all). And, like the majority of draft picks in Major League Soccer, he was not offered a contract by the league. But he traveled to Spain with the MetroStars for La Manga tournament.

"If we hadn't gone to Spain, in all likelihood he would have signed with us," MetroStars Coach Bob Bradley said in a telephone interview from Florida, where the club is now training. "I'm pretty angry and disappointed about it."

Instead, Occean played well and caught the eye of scouts from the Norwegian club Odd Grenland, which signed him to a three-year deal for about three times the M.L.S. annual minimum of $24,000, according to his agent, Patrick T. McCabe.

"He was still trying out and his play got better and better," McCabe said in an e-mail message. "A month ago we weren't sure he would make the squad. Essentially, there is a flaw in the system. These kids are not getting paid. Nowhere else in the world do kids go on trial for a month. Obviously folks are not pleased with this, but such is the business."

IN CAMP The second-year players Ricardo Clark and Mike Magee have returned to training after each had hernia surgery. . . . The Ugandan defender Tenywa Bonseu, acquired in the off-season from Dallas, is with the club in Florida after clearing up problems with his visa.

ON TV Fox Sports World will broadcast three of the MetroStars' regular-season matches in its 28-game regular-season schedule. All of the matches will be broadcast on Saturday evenings, including eight West Coast games that will start at 10 p.m. Eastern.

Corner Kicks

Archived