Soccer attendance compared to other sports

Silvio

Turnstile Tracker: 470 Million Attend Sports Events In '02

For the fourth consecutive year, THE DAILY's Turnstile Tracker offers the most comprehensive study on the number of spectators who attended sporting events in the U.S. and Canada during the '02-03 sports year. The data shows that over 470 million people attended events during the year, up 1.6% from last year's total of slightly under 463 million. Since several sports conduct their season over two calendar years, the full '02-03 pre-, regular- and post-season figures are presented. While a few of these numbers are not exact, they do serve as the most detailed estimates of the number of attendees of sports events over the '02-03 season. Today, THE DAILY offers a summary of total attendance by sport. Over the next several weeks, THE DAILY will continue to present complete data by sport (THE DAILY).

SPORT SPORT TOTALS % TOTAL

Baseball 120,274,358 25.56%

Football 72,031,565 15.31%

Basketball 67,166,805 14.28%

Hockey 60,703,841 12.90%

Auto Racing 35,916,390 7.63%

Horse Racing 30,590,676 6.50%

Rodeo 23,639,359 5.02%

Golf 12,495,601 2.66%

Soccer 7,251,763 1.54%

Greyhound Racing 6,350,000 1.35%

Extreme Sports 4,080,702 0.87%

Tennis 3,419,811 0.73%

Volleyball 2,666,848 0.57%

Lacrosse 1,180,297 0.25%

Bowling 538,500 0.11%

Curling 457,569 0.10%

Figure Skating 348,857 0.07%

Other 21,391,758 4.55%

TOTALS 470,504,700 100.00%

As a spectator sport, Soccer is behind Golf and Rodeo, but ahead of Greyhound racing. Kind of misleading stats, since they don't include exhibition games or youth tournaments (like the U-19 WC) for any sports.

yes, we beat greyhound racing!!! i never new greyhound racing got 6.3 million people out to watch. Soccer is still pretty far away from golf around 5 million. look on the bright side(if there is one haha) soccer beat Greyhound Racing, Extreme Sports,Tennis,Volleyball,Lacrosse,Bowling,Curling and Figure Skating, YESSSSSSSSS ;)

Guest Jeffery S.

There is only one sport in Europe that can rival football for fan presence. Especially in a few countries on the continent. Anyone guess which sport it is?

A hint: it does not usually cost anything to watch.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

There is only one sport in Europe that can rival football for fan presence. Especially in a few countries on the continent. Anyone guess which sport it is?

A hint: it does not usually cost anything to watch.

I pretty sure it is road racing (cycling). u

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ben Lauden

After thinking long and hard; i'd have to guess bicycle racing.

You and Free Kick got it, good work. I know we are basically talking about the three main tours (France, Giro Italia, Vuelta de España), plus the French, Italian, Belgian, and Dutch classics. Yet on a good day in any of these you can get literally hundreds of thousands out to watch. Sure, watching often means leaving your house and walking over to the road where the riders fly by, then returning home. But in the mountain or hill climb time trial stages you can get some real committed fans camping out over night, and the numbers run high. I recall one Vuelta where they said that the 2nd to last stage, usually in the mountains north of Madrid, they said that a million people were out watching the stage.

Motorsport can also be big, but in the end each country gets maybe one rally, a couple if lucky motorcycle Gran Prixs, and one or maybe two F1 races. You might get 70 to 100 thousand out for the paid events. For rally, which I have seen in Catalunya, you might get more out as it is big here, but again, like cycling, you don't pay to watch, just have to dedicate a lot of time to get to a spot that is good early enough to take it all in, and maybe try to change spots to see more than one section in a day.

I think cycling is way ahead of motorsport in Europe, another reason is that fans only really come out for major events in motorsport, while in cycling the one or a few day classics get quite a few people out as well.

Being married to a Belgium and having spent time there while the Tour de France is on, I can firmly say that the daily coverage in the press and on tv rivals anything I have seen for football on the continent. Young, and Old, and importanly women watch the race (women are no where for football in Europe unless its the European championships or World Cup)

Archived