Andres Arango.....the next Menezes?

Gian-Luca

By that I mean the next natural sweeper to play for the Canadian national team (a few years down the road, most likely)?

Get out your tapes of the Spain match, try to focus on Arango's ability to read the play & his distribution (both with moving with the ball at his feet & attempts to pick out players with directed long-balls (as opposed to aimless Hastings-style hoofing down the field) & let me know what you think.

From the short stretch of the game I saw, I was impressed with the confidence on the ball that the defence as whole displayed. Granted, the passes weren't always where they should be or on target but at least, it seemed they were willing to do some things that our current defensive corps would not. Generally, I think the quality on the ball is much higher. Again, we are talking about 18-20 year olds so it is really only an educated guess as to who will emerge as the best of the lot; but, Arango appears to be the leader. Heck, he even has that Brazilian-sounding-one-name possibility.

Gian-Luca's developing mind reading qualities...

Was thinking Arango showed some excellent anticipation and I don't know if to put it down to Mitchell's coaching or Arango just having a good vision for the field but he certianly had a scense for release channels.

And a cool head. And confident tackling. Well worth keeping an eye or two on. Gonna have to give the match another look.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

By that I mean the next natural sweeper to play for the Canadian national team (a few years down the road, most likely)?

Get out your tapes of the Spain match, try to focus on Arango's ability to read the play & his distribution (both with moving with the ball at his feet & attempts to pick out players with directed long-balls (as opposed to aimless Hastings-style hoofing down the field) & let me know what you think.

Yes, I really noticed his anticipation of the play. Even the announcer

(John Helm) was impressed by his ability to get back to the play and beat his man. Who was he covering? Sergio Garcia, and others who

are currently in the Spanish Premier League. A few years in Europe

or even exposure to the senior side (like Hume) will make him.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just want to say that I too think he is a good prospect. Too bad I don't have a video copy to look at his passing, though I think that the whole back line was moving the ball around a bit slowly, and too flatly, but that is another question.

In my initial postgame thread post I mentioned three clearings to corner in a 4 minute sequence in a critical period of the 2nd half, all of which were excellent.

Just to clarify on who he was marking, Sergio Garcia is a good player but I think only played once this year on the Barça first team in league play, first game of the year (that midnight match vs. Sevilla). He is not a big goal scorer, but handling him means you can handle Spain 3rd tier, which is already enough to suggest you could be a prospect for Spanish 2nd.

Archived