Future Canadian nat?

matthew

A Metrostars fan told me that Edgar Bartolomeu is pursuing his Canadian citizenship. The former member of the Toronto Lynx was born in Angola and is 27. He was in Portugal in 1995/96 then moved on to North America. He married a Canadian and is therefore eligible for us as soon as he gets his citizenship. I assume (and so did the Metros fan) that he's isn't cap-tied to Angola.

He's a Senior International in MLS, so he can't be too bad. I've only see him play once, but he's a leftback or plays left mid in a 3-5-2. I'm not that big on digging up green card Canadians, but it seems to be the way of the game these days. If he can help us and is proud to be a citizen I can live with us calling him.

Lynx fans? Metros fan(s)? Anyone remember him from FSWC games this year? He should be in the US Open Cup final Wednesday night.

cheers,

matthew

http://www.metrostars.com/yourteam/edgar_bartolomeu.htm

#4 Edgar Bartolomeu, D/M

Senior International

Position: Defender/Midfielder

Height: 5-10

Weight: 145

Born: September 14, 1976

Hometown: Luanda, Angola

How Acquired: Acquired defender/midfielder Edgar Bartolomeu (BAR-thol-a-mew) from the Chicago Fire on June 25, 2003 as compensation for the rights to midfielder Andy Williams.

CAREER NOTES

The MetroStars acquired defender/midfielder Edgar Bartolomeu (BAR-thol-a-mew) from the Chicago Fire on June 25, 2003 as compensation for the rights to midfielder Andy Williams. Bartolomeu becomes the league maximum third senior international for the Metros, joining midfielder Amado Guevara and forward Jaime Moreno.

The 26-year-old Bartolomeu spent the 2002-03 Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) season with the Philadelphia Kixx, scoring four goals and four assists in 31 games. In the 2001-02 season, he helped the Kixx hoist the MISL championship for the first time after dethroning the defending champion Milwaukee Wave. He played a total of 94 games with eight goals and 14 assists in three seasons in the MISL (previously the National Professional Soccer League) with the Buffalo Blizzard (NPSL) and the Kixx before joining the Long Island Rough Riders for the 2002 D-3 Pro season.

At the Rough Riders, Bartolomeu played 15 games, logging 1,251 minutes with two goals scored. He helped the team defeat the Wilmington Hammerheads, 2-1, to claim the D-3 Pro championship. The team defeated the New York Freedoms by a penalty kick tiebreaker in the Conference Finals, which saw Bartolomeu convert his opportunity. In the semifinals, Long Island dropped the Connecticut Wolves in the single-elimination playoffs.

The versatile left-footed Bartolomeu also spent the 1999 and 2000 A-League seasons with the Toronto Lynx, where he played 11 games. In 1995 and 1996, he played professionally in Portugal.

Name's familiar but I can't put a face to it.

If he gets his citizenship I can't see any problem with him pulling on a Maple Leaf. If he's good enough. Must certainly be bright enough. He married a good Canadian lass.

Besides he'll have earned (in some fashion) his right to call himself Canadian. Most of us are Canadian because of something our great, great, grandparents did. That's not ment to belittle the sons and daughters of our Home and Native Land. Just to add value to the acheivement of citizenship by those unlucky enough not to have been born with our great inheritance.

Ahem...

God save the Queen.

Long live the Dominion of Canada.

P.S. All other CONCACAF nations can rot in hell.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

A Metrostars fan told me that Edgar Bartolomeu is pursuing his Canadian citizenship. The former member of the Toronto Lynx was born in Angola and is 27. He was in Portugal in 1995/96 then moved on to North America.

cheers,

matthew

Interesting, I do not recall him being part of the Lynx. Perhaps it was some time time ago. I first attended Lynx games in the summer of 2000. I am curious to here if other Ultras remember him.

We actually talked alot about him durring our trip to boston. He played a very strong attacking game from the defence.. but was pretty shakey on the actual defencive side so i am not sure exactly what he could do for our team.

But i would think angola would of cap tied him by now... i dont kno tho, i dont think he could crack our squad.. come on people deguzman didnt even crack the squad :P WE ARE SOO DEEP

Ive only seen him play once, and not as a Lynx player. Saw him in the middle of the double header. Very good dribbler, good going forward, but all three goals by New England were built up on the his side.

Really, he'd probably be a fringe player for a North American based Canada squad, although he'd be a really interesting sub just for his ability to run at players. I wouldnt consider playing him at the back though.

That being said, has he been capped by Angola?

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

He must be pretty good if hes in the MLS though.

You can see for yourself if he plays as the Metrostars are in the US Open Cup final mid-week on FSWC.

I think this player is worth a good look on the left side if he gets his citizenship and if he is interested in playing for Canada. He didn't look too bad in last night's game.

Archived