Most Exciting Team at WWC poll

mattbin

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/t/met/index.html

Interestingly, Canada is second only to Germany overall, and first in the English-language polling. I personally think Germany and Sweden are the best teams to watch, but I don't let personal feelings get in the way when I'm voting on polls.

Incidentally, is anyone else getting tired of hearing that the USA-Ger match was the "best women's soccer game ever"? I mean, it's a pretty lame way for the Americans to save face over this one. They should just hold their heads up, admit defeat to a superior team, and resolve to do better next time. And then shut the fark up.

Sheesh. 3-0, best game ever. Losers.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

P.S. Just to be clear, when I say "losers" I mean the commentators who have repeated this idiocy (Helen S included), not the team members themselves.

I don't know how Canada is the lead except for the likelihood that the site has been overtaken by Canadians.

And the US/Germany game, in my 10+ years of watching women's soccer (from the 91 WC onwards), it was the best women's game that I have seen.

Saying that, yes it is pretty lame for the US to take solace in it but they're in the denial/rationale stage of explaining their loss. We'll see the real reasons over the coming months. With WUSA suspended, player retirements, and them not even reaching the final, we're going to here lots of gloom and doom.

Had to be Germany and Sweden and then USA.

Sweden looked very good. Their offensive half was quite impressive. In fact, if it were not for bad officating (i.e. giving advantage when the player had already cleared Hooper), they probably could have opened the floodgates early in the 2nd half and never look back. And What China was missing was a pair of strikers like Sweden in this tournament.

Germany is obviously the class of tournament, but they are doing it the German way. Not very flashy, but very efficient. They are an all around team with good players at every single position. It's hard to believe that they have beaten every team by at least 3 goals in this tournament. That's pretty impressive.

The Yanks looked good too. Very typical American style with good flow and good attacking flair. They just were fighting against an unblievable defence.

Sweden only impressed me against Canada. A very fluid side will do that. I think their middle is going to get a bit of a different experience against the Germans, though. Stronger in the air than I thought they'd be. I'd put Sweden ahead of everyone else on that one match alone. They were realy fun to watch. Canada has to get a high vote to. Bit of a dark horse to everyone else in the world (but for those of us here) for this WWC. They play the game with good ol' Canadian athletic passion and have scored some really nice goals. I could see them sharing company with Sweden and Germany.

The USA-Germany match was the best women's match I've seen (ECHO,echo,,ech,,,o). Boy, those Germans don't go to goal unless they want to threaten in a big way a strike. They just comfortably let their opponent prace about forever, get near the enemy net only ever with a purpose, and score on 50% of their ventures into the danger zone. Wondefull stuff. That being said. It was a match that could have slipped away from the Yanks a lot earlier than it did. Glad it didn't. Made for a nice, futile, finish.

USA Women's team did themselfs very proud. Unless something's going on realy well hidden this is the best side they'll have for years to come and should be remembered fondly.

I'll say this as well. Every male footballer on this God's Green Earth should be forced to watch the WWC to learn how to play football sportingly. Seems to me, it's the men on the pitch who act all too often like bitchs.

Sweden only impressed me against Canada. A very fluid side will do that. I think their middle is going to get a bit of a different experience against the Germans, though. Stronger in the air than I thought they'd be. I'd put Sweden ahead of everyone else on that one match alone. They were realy fun to watch. Canada has to get a high vote to. Bit of a dark horse to everyone else in the world (but for those of us here) for this WWC. They play the game with good ol' Canadian athletic passion and have scored some really nice goals. I could see them sharing company with Sweden and Germany.

The USA-Germany match was the best women's match I've seen (ECHO,echo,,ech,,,o). Boy, those Germans don't go to goal unless they want to threaten in a big way a strike. They just comfortably let their opponent prace about forever, get near the enemy net only ever with a purpose, and score on 50% of their ventures into the danger zone. Wondefull stuff. That being said. It was a match that could have slipped away from the Yanks a lot earlier than it did. Glad it didn't. Made for a nice, futile, finish.

USA Women's team did themselfs very proud. Unless something's going on realy well hidden this is the best side they'll have for years to come and should be remembered fondly.

I'll say this as well. Every male footballer on this God's Green Earth should be forced to watch the WWC to learn how to play football sportingly. Seems to me, it's the men on the pitch who act all too often like bitchs.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

... (i.e. giving advantage when the player had already cleared Hooper)...

Yeap, it was a bad call. But I think it was the AR who called for a foul and the ref had little choice than to blow the whistle. Now, the ref should have guessed what the AR was calling and could have ignored the flag and allowed the play to continue. The AR is also empowered to apply the so called advantage, but then why put the flag up? In summary a screw up no matter how you slice it.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

... (i.e. giving advantage when the player had already cleared Hooper)...

Yeap, it was a bad call. But I think it was the AR who called for a foul and the ref had little choice than to blow the whistle. Now, the ref should have guessed what the AR was calling and could have ignored the flag and allowed the play to continue. The AR is also empowered to apply the so called advantage, but then why put the flag up? In summary a screw up no matter how you slice it.

Archived