Referee in the Canada vs. China

massimo

This chick was just terrible, maybe she lost her glasses or something because the fouls she was giving to either team was a joke. Like when Hooper headed a ball forward and was called, Burtini falls on her own late in the game yet a foul was given against China.

One final point, it looked to me that the Chinese were constantly diving. But maybe I'm wrong.

I hope for FIFA's sake they will not need this ref's services for the rest of the tournament.

Cangrates to Canada for keeping their cool when it really counted.

Massimo

quote:Originally posted by massimo

One final point, it looked to me that the Chinese were constantly diving. But maybe I'm wrong.

I agree with everything you said up to this point. I thought the Chinese played a pretty clean game myself--I was thinking of how things would have gone if we'd been playing Brazil.

quote:Cangrates to Canada for keeping their cool when it really counted.
The one thing that really, really disappointed me was Hooper's card. There was no reason for; she knows by now that against a ref like that the only solution is to accept the calls, put your head down, and keep driving. I have nothing but respect for Hooper but this would have been excusable only--maybe--from a young player. I'm kinda worried about Hooper getting a card in the next match...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

No, no, no. As soon as she went after the ref on that shoulder challenge she was looking to get a card for disent. Very good tacticaly. Kinda puts the ref in the spotlight, and it wasn't long after that they started to get some calls which was a nice change.

If you'll take a card for spiking some yahoo (for the good of the team of course) it has got to be worth it to take a card for planting seeds of dought in the ref's itty, bitty, brain. For the good of the team, of course.

Didn't much care for the ref'ing. Very curious calls at times.

Yeah, the ref was questionable on lots of calls both ways, but frankly how many refs in the women's game get to play in front 20000 fans day in and day out..not many. So give it time and things should improve.

As for Chinese, I thought they played a clean game overall. And to their credit, they are the first women's team I watched that give an occassional pat in the back to the opposing team players while playing :-)

I thought the ref was pretty good compared to some of the refs at the Men's 2002 WC. At least she didn't give Hooper a second-yellow on that foul late in the game last night. And she didn't call any penalties on fouls that occured 20-25 feet outside the box (like Brazil v Turkey :( )!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

No, no, no. As soon as she went after the ref on that shoulder challenge she was looking to get a card for disent. Very good tacticaly. Kinda puts the ref in the spotlight, and it wasn't long after that they started to get some calls which was a nice change.

If you'll take a card for spiking some yahoo (for the good of the team of course) it has got to be worth it to take a card for planting seeds of dought in the ref's itty, bitty, brain. For the good of the team, of course.

Didn't much care for the ref'ing. Very curious calls at times.

The referee was inexperienced at this level of intensity where every little contact is more than just a casual one. You really need to be discriminating, be close to the play and allow for the intensity with which the game will be played. Foul recognition moves to a different level and just blowing the whistle is no longer sufficient. You need to talk to the players as well.

In the case of Hooper's yellow card, we really don't know what she was saying, it may have been nothing worth of a card. She was not either making any nasty gestures. Hooper talked to the ref for quite a while and the ref did nothing to placate the situation. The referee handled it poorly. As a ref you must exercise control of the actions. Again a whistle is not enough. Just to wait until she was finished and then give a yellow is poor officiating. Yes, Hooper would have been better off keeping quiet and walking away, but talking to the referee is not what Law 12 was intended to penalize in this case.

Guest Georgio

Precisely mtlfan.

The problem isn't that women are on average not as qualified as men to coach at this level because this is to be expected at such an early stage. It's that they could impede on what would otherwise be as close as possible to a true match between two teams. IN THE WORLD CUP that is.

In the WWC there is way to much at stake:

National Team Pride, entire funding from national associations, media funding, FIFA's promotion and funding, continuing the trend of worldwide acceptance, preperation/qualifying etc.

I believe that if the women playing in this tournament were asked, the majority of them would choose to have the best ref, man or women. You just have look at the frustration of the players are exhibiting. Especailly after all the effort they put in to get to where they are. And then if they were asked the same question in five years would likely say there is no need for male refs in the women's game anymore.

And Cheeta made the exact point I was going to make on the other board. This little act by Hooper brought all the attention to the ref, in the dying minutes of a match where the croud, the players, the majority of the 320,000 cdn t.v. viewers, and FIFA would have to atleast recognize it, albeit briefly. The captain may not have set a great standard for the rest, but she is also the only person we should want making the point as it's the Captain who should have the most dialogue with the ref on the pitch. She is the captain isn't she? That is the person the ref should most respect as a representative of the team.

Hooper did a good thing. And it doesn't seem often that Hooper get's a yellow card so I am not worried about her getting one in the Semis.

Georgio

Guest Georgio

They may reject it based on poor spelling and grammar :)

But seriously, I have sent letters to the CSA before about player pool related things while Holger was in and a couple other matters I felt were troubling but it doesn't seem worth it unless either a whole bunch of people are doing it at the same time or it's being petitioned. Even then I'd be pretty hardpressed to do it nowadays. I would assume FIFA would be just as unresponsive as they dictate how the world sees things regarding soccer, we don't. One place that is the complete opposite for obvious reasons is Sportsnet. They are of course responsive to public demand to a much higher degree because that is the entire nature of the work they are in (not applicable here though).

Who knows though, when the cause seems worth it and I get pretty dissapointed with the way things are going I'll send letters in just to get it off my cheast. You can surely go ahead and write the CSA and FIFA using what you want from my post and anything else you'd like to add, as this may be something a lot of people are complaining about.

Cheers

Archived