de Vos and Wigan Athletic.

bettermirror

looks like there could be a third club from Manchester in the premiership next season as Wigan look to pull a fulham/chievo meteoric rise to the top!!!!

this is absolutely brilliant. yes, i know de vos is hurt.

1. Wigan Athletic 19pts

2. Sheffield United 17pts

5. Nottingham Forest 15pts

looks like canada may have quite the contingent in the premier next year. cross yer fingers.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/football/common/TeamNews.asp?TeamID=152&ID=60864

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan believes the Premiership is a realistic target for the Latics.

Paul Jewell's side have surprised many people with their fine start to the season and Saturday's 1-0 win against Watford has left them two points clear at the top of the Nationwide Division One table.

"I can definitely sustain a Premiership club," Whelan told the Manchester Evening News.

"I have dreamed of doing this since the day I bought the club.

"Our fan base has to increase though and be on a par with what Bolton and Blackburn have.

"I know we also have a lot of people in Wigan who go to watch Premiership clubs. We now need their support and they are starting to come."

too early though yet...there is some 40 matches left to play so anything could realistically happen.

They seem to be quite a defensive team, pulling off a lot of 1-0 results.

There is stiff competition this year. You got the usual former premiership teams plus teams like Shef United and Forest and Norwich plus a couple of other Div 2 teams that came with Wigan seem to be doing quite fine so far, so it's very easy for the wheels to come off.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

looks like there could be a third club from Manchester in the premiership next season as Wigan look to pull a fulham/chievo meteoric rise to the top!!!!

looks like canada may have quite the contingent in the premier next year. cross yer fingers.

The problem is that when teams do get promoted they go through wholesale changes. At last count Leicester has more new players this year than even Chelsea (I think its 12).

PS... There are already 3 teams in the premiership from Manchester. Don't foget Bolton! But the more the better, IMO (since all the Manchester teams seem to give Man United fits).

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

PS... There are already 3 teams in the premiership from Manchester. Don't foget Bolton! But the more the better, IMO (since all the Manchester teams seem to give Man United fits).

Remember years ago the knock against the London clubs was that they had too many intense local matchs over the long hual of the season to ever win the 1st division. Would sure like to see that theroy put to the test a bit further north.

I don't think many Wigan supporters are surprised by the sides success. But, right again, that's not a side which'll go into the Premiership without a wack of different bodies. Is JDV ready for that? Promotion that is (getting way ahead of myself). Think so. Especially if he's 100% fit again. And in the proper team.

Plenty of men have led their clubs onto great promotions and gotten left behind.

Geezus, that would be fun. Latics and Blades march onto the Premiership pulling their Canadians along in tow. Wow.

(Do you ever find yourself still wanting to call it the 1st division? Worse. Do you remember when Manchester U. had your SYMPATHY support because they sucked that badly but had such great fans? I'm not even that old,,,)

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

(Do you ever find yourself still wanting to call it the 1st division? Worse. Do you remember when Manchester U. had your SYMPATHY support because they sucked that badly but had such great fans? I'm not even that old,,,)

Yeah, I remember that. Had a great team in the 50's before the airplane tragedy, and a great team in the late 60s when Best was around - both before my time - but take away the last 10-12 years and you have a very average team over the long haul.

I remember years ago when TSN first started out with Soccer Saturday at 5 a.m. pacific, it was all Liverpool and Arsenal. I hardly remember Man U being mentioned until the Prem started up. Remember the full Div I highlights? Those were the days. Plus the condensed version of a league game from Portugal or Belgium. Cool.

Although Graham Leggat was probably senile back then, it was pretty neat stuff. I miss that program.

quote:Originally posted by eastcoaster

If they do make the premiership, wholesale changes to the roster will be made. However, I do believe that Devos will not lose his place. He is a premiership caliber player at his position.

I don't think he's premiership caliber. He doesn't have the ball skills and he's pretty slow. Of course it's mere speculation on my part. I've been proven wrong before, but I don't rate DeVos very highly.

I thought JDV had an awful Gold Cup. Both matchs. Of course we know he was playing hurt and coming off an inactive spell and aren't likely to see him again untell after Christmas I think. Then we'll see if those seasons in Scotland have paid off. Jewell's been big on JDV for a long time, and there was a lot of crying and hand wringing up in Dundee when the big man was sent onto England.

I think he could fit into a 1st team place in the Premiership. On the right side! The big man is just too strong in the air at both ends of the park. Foggy mind seems to recall something like better than two-thirds of goals in the Premiership are scored on set plays.

It dose look at times though that slow, tall, strong men in the air are a dime a dozen. That EPL speed sure seperates the men from the boys.

I agree. If DeVos is paired with the right central defender, I think he can play EPL. But he won't last if not. Sounds the same as at the National team level.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I thought JDV had an awful Gold Cup. Both matchs. Of course we know he was playing hurt and coming off an inactive spell and aren't likely to see him again untell after Christmas I think. Then we'll see if those seasons in Scotland have paid off. Jewell's been big on JDV for a long time, and there was a lot of crying and hand wringing up in Dundee when the big man was sent onto England.

I think he could fit into a 1st team place in the Premiership. On the right side! The big man is just too strong in the air at both ends of the park. Foggy mind seems to recall something like better than two-thirds of goals in the Premiership are scored on set plays.

It dose look at times though that slow, tall, strong men in the air are a dime a dozen. That EPL speed sure seperates the men from the boys.

Archived