Canada vs Germany [R]

Auger9

All the talk has been about our backline and whether they are good enough. Although they could be stronger...I think the back is fine. They are athletic, which makes up for a lot.

The problem is in the middle of the field. We just don't have a playmaker (has Canada ever had a playmaker, at any level???). The Germans killed us in the middle...they won 95% of the balls. If our forwards don't get the ball, our advantage there is useless.

After watching this game, I'm not sure about the quarters. The team will need to regroup quickly.

Ugly game for Canada. The Germans looked really good. Better, in fact, than I've ever seen the Americans play. A couple of things: The back line really showed its inexperience. Second, the absence of Timko in the midfield was quite apparent. The lack of a true ball winner really hurt us (not to mention completely abandoning the concept of contesting the midfield for huge periods of the game). Germany played a 5-3-2, which they modified to a 3-2-3-2 at the start of the second half. We were not able to modify tactics to counter this. Pellrud was out coached today. And Canada outplayed generally. I don't think the Germans are that good, or Canada that bad. We are going to have to adjust if we hope to get past the quarter's.

Well that should do away with all the talks about how great Pellerud is, which is a blessing.

I was surprised with all the media talks and predictions because frankly watching Canada at home against Mexico in front of 30000 there was very little to cheer about, despite the 8-0 scoreline. There was hardly 3 or 4 passes put together and very little cohesion in that game.

What puzzles me more is that we have been down this road before with the men's team too, so I am not sure why some of the ardent supporters of this team take any criticism of the style so hard. It simply does not work, be it in women's soccer or men's soccer. In order to win a soccer game, you need to make sure you're not chasing after the ball for 90 minutes and when you send the ball, at least 5 out of 10 times, it gets to your own player.

This nonsense might work against teams that hardly have a pitch to play in or don't even have associations or nobody in their country cares for the women's game or the women don't even have their basic rights, but when you are up against Germany or USA or China, you are in trouble.

Also, Holger Osieck got the same result away in German yin the men's game against a team that is far more superior comparatively speaking (i.e. when you compare the credentials of the players against one another), without having played 30 games against the top teams of the world in the past 2 years, so hopefully the HO bashers & Pellerud lovers realize that too and the amazing strides we have made in the last 3 years !!!!!

This result seems to be more "expected" now than it was before the match, according to much of the media. Craig Forrest predicted we'd win, while Gerry & Helen were full of confidence about Canada at the start of the match, but by the second half had changed their tune to "well we knew all along they'd lose by 3 goals & what a great learning experience this is for the future!"

I have to agree largely with Reza on the Pellerud comments. I was shocked down to my toenails to see Latham stay in the match instead of Lang, as she obviously looked tired and unable to chase down the long balls (an ability which is key to the Pellerud style of play). Can't understand why more fresh legs weren't put on in the second half, even just to stem the tide (you never know when goal differential will be the decisive factor in advancing to the next round).

If Argentina & Japan are as bad as everyone says they are (I haven't seen them play, so I can't really say) then I expect we should go through. If we meet Germany again down the road or China in the q-f I think its essential we get Moscato in the midfield. She & Kiss are the only players on the team (outside of Sinclair, who is needed up front) who can be the playmakers everyone is asking about. I don't know if she's still injured or what, but she's essential. I would take out Neil or Matheson, likely Neil as Matheson seemed to win more balls in midfield & is quicker. I got in trouble saying this during the Women's Gold Cup, but I just don't agree with playing, in a three person midfield, two "ball-winners" out of the three. Pellerud disagrees of course, because the system he employs is based upon winning the ball & sending it up to the strikers who will out-muscle & out-run the defenders. But against the likes of Germany who have physical defenders who can match us in that departement, another tactic has to be employed. We saw it briefly when Hooper joined the play in the 2nd half that led us on a good run & two great chances to even the score when it was 2-1. More of that is the only way we will win the World Cup, which should be our goal (rather than simply having another great learning experience).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This result seems to be more "expected" now than it was before the match, according to much of the media. Craig Forrest predicted we'd win, while Gerry & Helen were full of confidence about Canada at the start of the match, but by the second half had changed their tune to "well we knew all along they'd lose by 3 goals & what a great learning experience this is for the future!"

See, that's what happened. Too many people caught up in the media hype. [V]

As for Argentina and Japan, Japan won that match 6-0. I think Argentina is one of the lower FIFA ranked nations in the competition, while Japan is right close to Canada. Doesn't tell you how good each team is, but a little indication maybe.

Canada is now behind the Japan 8-ball though when it comes to goal differential. We are minus 3, they are plus 6. We have to pummel, rather than simply defeat, Argentina & hope that Germany pummels Japan to help even things out a bit. Otherwise we could go into the match against Japan having to win with Japan needing just a draw to go through. That late goal we gave up could be a killer.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Well that should do away with all the talks about how great Pellerud is, which is a blessing.

I was surprised with all the media talks and predictions because frankly watching Canada at home against Mexico in front of 30000 there was very little to cheer about, despite the 8-0 scoreline. There was hardly 3 or 4 passes put together and very little cohesion in that game.

What puzzles me more is that we have been down this road before with the men's team too, so I am not sure why some of the ardent supporters of this team take any criticism of the style so hard. It simply does not work, be it in women's soccer or men's soccer. In order to win a soccer game, you need to make sure you're not chasing after the ball for 90 minutes and when you send the ball, at least 5 out of 10 times, it gets to your own player.

This nonsense might work against teams that hardly have a pitch to play in or don't even have associations or nobody in their country cares for the women's game or the women don't even have their basic rights, but when you are up against Germany or USA or China, you are in trouble.

Also, Holger Osieck got the same result away in German yin the men's game against a team that is far more superior comparatively speaking (i.e. when you compare the credentials of the players against one another), without having played 30 games against the top teams of the world in the past 2 years, so hopefully the HO bashers & Pellerud lovers realize that too and the amazing strides we have made in the last 3 years !!!!!

What can I say other the Kudos for being spot on. I think that what happened with the hiring of Pellerud was that long term gains were sacrificed for short term result. The way we play right now is ideally suited for the state of where the womens game is/was and once it evolves we will definitely have to change our approach drastically or be left behind. I don't think its a coincidence that Norway is dropping in the womens game since they won the WWC in the early nineties. You can't play soccer this way and I say this being fully confident that we can distroy Argentina and very likely handle Japan.

Also, Every team has to be flexible. Yes, you can play a predominantely direct and very positional style, but every team has to adapt vary things as the game evolves. The sideline reporter was commenting on how Pellerud was instructing the fwds at half time to re position themselves and for the MF's to look for the fwds. Well what kind of change is that and what does it really accomplish You can't be direct to that extreme at ALL times. At some some point you have to have some better ball support along with players at the back moving forward.

Pellerud said our biggest problem was the defense. Those 4 have never played together. Germany played with 5 defenders the whole game, while we had 2 strikers and 1 attacking mid in the first half. In the second, we played with 1 striker and 5 mids. 1 striker against 5 defenders can't accomplish much.

Canada had a bunch of girls playing. 14 without WC experience. Dennis only had 3 caps and then she started for the WC opener? Germany definitely seperated the girls from the women. Our youth against the best team in the world...

Sinclair said that after germany scored, we lost confidence and became too hesitant, that's why germany ran over us. If canada brought their 'A' game, it would be a different result...Canada is killing for a rematch..i was expecting us to win, but they could've done better...

Archived