Good news, bad news.

jonovision

Here's the good news: We know the identity of another of the callups for the upcoming Finland friendly.

The bad news?

It's Paul Fenwick!

Fenwick in call-up surprise

DAVID HARDIE

PAUL FENWICK today admitted he was surprised to have received a call-up to play for Canada despite not having kicked a ball for Hibs so far this season.

The veteran defender has found himself on the fringes of boss Bobby Williamson’s plans having not made it even as far as the bench for his club.

The 34-year-old picked up an injury in a pre-season clash with East of Scotland outfit Craigroyston and hadn’t featured in a green and white shirt until he was named in the under-21 side which drew with Motherwell at the beginning of this week.

But Canada’s new head coach, former Hearts star Colin Miller, has selected Fenwick to play in a friendly against Finland in Tampere on October 11, the same day as Scotland face Lithuania at Hampden in their Euro 2004 showdown.

Fenwick has been capped 31 times and played for Canada against Cuba in the Gold Cup in Boston in July, but today he revealed he’d been taken aback to be named in Miller’s squad.

He said: "I’m pleasantly surprised to be selected to play for the Canadian national side as I have not been playing first team football this season. This will be the first time I have played against Finland so it will be an interesting experience to play them at home. Jarkko Wiss has already given me a list of things I’ve to pick up for him over there."

While Fenwick hasn’t been part of Williamson’s plans so far this season, the Hibs boss today revealed he has no intention of making changes to the central defensive partnership of Mathias Doumbe and Colin Murdock despite the fact he’s been robbed of the services of Gary Smith for at least two months following his appendix operation.

The Northern Ireland star has suffered a torrid time since his move from Preston North End but Williamson again today underlined his faith in the 28-year-old stopper. He said: "I keep telling people not to judge others too early. Colin has played one-and-a-half games in the Premierleague but he’s played international football and umpteen games for other clubs.

"He needs to get to know what it is all about in this league and the only way he is going to do that is by playing games. He’s a big, strong boy who has proved he is capable. I am sure he will be a very good player for us."

Meanwhile, Hibs goalkeeper Nick Colgan was today considering whether to make his temporary move to English Second Division side Stockport County permanent.

The Irish star moved to Edgley Park on a loan deal until the end of this year but has impressed Stockport boss Carlton Palmer sufficiently enough to be offered a the chance to make it a permanent switch. He said: "I am delighted to be playing first team football at Stockport because it has helped my international ambitions. If I was in the reserves at Hibs, I doubt I’d have played against Australia and Turkey in recent weeks. The manager has told me he will talk to my agent about offering me a contract."

My God,are we that short of defenders?How can an entire fan group write a player off but continually gets the call from what is supposed to be Canadas'soccer braintrust.

If the Scotland game wasn't enough now we have to endure Fenwicks follies in what will be an important friendly leading to WC qualifying in Feb.

Am I wrong?Shouldn't we be using players that we will be relying on to get us to Germany or are we just going to put together a makeshift squad again?

I a admire Fenwick's dedication to the program, but if you read the article, even he was surprised to get called up. Every thing that we do with our Nats in the next 2 years should be geared for 2006. Fenwick is 34. He is no longer in his club team's plans. He certainly won't be in any position to be on the pitch by the end of qualifying. Unless he was brought into the squad to be groomed into a coach somewhere down the road, there is no good reason to call him now.

WCQ is over two years long...Although it is highly unlikely Fenwick will still be playing when the HEX rolls around, he might still be useful in the first round this winter. In fact, he might provide us with his greatest use by filling a roster spot in the first round -- and thus not forcing a younger player to risk their club spot.

Ha!!! Take that all yee haters!

Seriously though, it is a bit curious. It's nice to see I'm not the only one on the planet who thought Fenwick had a good Gold Cup but he's sort of fallen out of Hib's and don't expect he'll be back onto the 1st team for some time.

Guessing JDV's wounds forced Miller into calling the big man. If interm coach Colin knows Dwayne and Toffee will be out for the friendly maybe he's expecting Big Kev can once again be used in the back line. That should make a few people happy.

Fenwick's age is a non-issue, at least at this point. He may not be the quickest creature but he's quick enough. Can still go 90 minutes, is good in the air and most importantly seems to have gotten his mean streak out of hibernation. Goalkeepers and defenders seem to age so much more gracefuly.

Archived