US Virgin Islands - Canada (R)

Guest Dave

May as well start this thread for today's game.

Does anyone know of any internet coverage (radio?) of today's game? Any score ticker sites?

Any other news?

Thanks.

Men's Olympic (U-23) Team

Sunday, September 07, 2003

Canada Romps USVI 10-0

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s U-23 Team defeated the US Virgin Islands 10-0 in the first of a home and away series of the first found in CONCACAF Olympic qualifications in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands.

Canada opened their scoring attack early when Kevin Harmes of Coquitlam, BC scored his first of two in the second minute of play. Canada was able to add four more goals before the half was finished with another goal by Harmes in the 38th and one each by David Masciantonia in the 11th, Tam Nsaliwa in the 19th, and Rob Friend in the 39th.

The second half continued as the first with two by Elliot Godfrey in the 52nd and 86th, the second by Masciantonia in the 71st, and the second by Nsaliwa in the 76th. Canada’s final goal came as an own goal in extra time.

Goalkeeper Andrew Olivieri earned the shutout for Canada.

The team will fly to Saint John, New Brunswick on September 8 and play the second game of the series at Canada Games Stadium on September 10 at 5:00 p.m. (local time).

The winner of the series advances to face El Salvador in a home and away series on November 15/16 and 19. The winner of that series advances to the qualifying tournament involving two groups of four teams in Mexico from February 2-12, 2004. The winners of each group automatically qualify for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.

Teams must use players born after January 1, 1981 for Olympic Qualifying.

Media who require accreditation for the game in Saint John, NB can register online by visiting the CSA website and proceeding to the media section or follow the link: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/accreditation.asp?sub=1

September 7, 2003 – CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying

Paul E. Joseph Stadium – US Virgin Islands

Canada 10 (5)

USVI 0 (0)

Goals: Canada – Harmes (2, 38), Masciantonia (11, 71), Nsaliwa (19, 76), Friend (32), Godfrey (52, 86), OG (90+)

Canada: Andrew Olivieri; Adam Braz; Gordon Chin; Rob Friend (Elliot Godfrey, 46); Kevin Harmes (Chris Williams, 46); Atiba Hutchinson; David Masciantonia; Semir Mesanovic; Tam Nsaliwa; Chris Pozniak; Justin Thompson (Andres Arango, 46); Head Coach - Bruce Twamley

This website is the official website of the Canadian Soccer Association. Copyright

© 2003 Canadian Soccer Association. All rights reserved.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I have one question about this game.

Why?

What purpose does it serve to beat the living hell out of a bunch of amateurs from a Caribbean Island.

And this is u-23...imagine what the first round of WCQ is going to look like.

Mexico 23 - Cayman Islands 0

That will grow the sport.

That won't happen since there is a a stage for the Carribean and Central American countries before the semi-final groups. The weaker teams will be mostly weeded out by then.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I have one question about this game.

Why?

What purpose does it serve to beat the living hell out of a bunch of amateurs from a Caribbean Island.

And this is u-23...imagine what the first round of WCQ is going to look like.

Mexico 23 - Cayman Islands 0

That will grow the sport.

Ego boosting for Canada? :) I don't think I can recall a Canadian men's team scoring 10 goals in a match that actually meant something, let alone away from home.

Your point is well taken though. Although it is not want Jack Warner had in mind, for Canada these matches can at least serve as another chance to look at some new players & can substitute for the lack of friendlies (the U23 team haven't had any friendlies or a camp since January - and given the apparent quality of the USVI team, now we know why).

Judging by the line-up played, it looks like Justin Thompson has been permanantly converted to a defender (he was replaced by Arango, while Mesanovic & Friend started up front). Also, looks like Harmse may have been a right midfielder, rather than at the back (as he was replaced by Williams).

I'm guessing a 3-5-2 line-up was used, though I am curious about who lined up where in midfield:

Mesanovic Friend

Masciantonia Chin Nsaliwa Hutchinson Harmse (from left to right, but only a guess)

Braz Thompson Pozniak

Oliveri

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

That won't happen since there is a a stage for the Carribean and Central American countries before the semi-final groups. The weaker teams will be mostly weeded out by then.

No, you're thinking of the old system. The new system has everyone start at the same time.

10-0? I LOVE IT!!!!

Some might say such a comment is in poor taste, but quite frankly after what another "Caribbean minnow" did to us at the Gold Cup, I'm only too happy to see our boys give 'em hel1 like that.

How many times has an ill-prepared, jet-lagged, Canadian team been humiliated in the brutally unfair conditions of Aztec Stadium? How many times have we lost while away to tiny CONCACAF nations as a direct result of blatantly biased officiating?

Why do we as Canadians have to be so dam* nice all the time? If USVI had somehow managed to win this game, do you think their supporters would be questioning the validity of their win? They would be dancing in the streets and posting taunting messages on the Voyageurs board!

I say let's enjoy this, revel in it. 10-0!!! YEAH!!!:):):)

Guest Jeffery S.

I think it is fine to play these games. One reason: the opposing team wants to play a bigger team, even if outmatched. Another: the fans of an opposing minnow want to see top quality players. A third, as seen in qualifiers elsewhere: minnows will grow, and playing better teams sometimes helps. Witness the European minnows, there are fewer and fewer blowouts, a lot of close games (still remember Andorra holding post WC winner France to 0-0 until the last 10 minutes of a qualifier for the last Eurocup (ended 0-1 on a penalty). Playing superior sides is a motivation, the teams will eventually come out with better defensive discipline and conditioning and maybe next time the USVI will hold us to 5, it'll be a success for them.

Also: in such games the coach can try tactical ideas and the players can execute them, thus gaining in overall team sense and even confidence. Yes, confidence. An example would be goals off corner kicks (don't know but imagine Harmse scored this way), you do the play as designed and it works. Vs better opposition you work it the same way and though it is harder you may do it better having already seen it done vs. a weaker side. Basic principle of playing easy pre-season games in fact.

I actually expected this to be closer just because I assume the USVI have decent athletes. And I wish them the best in the future.

I wasn't being 'nice'. Nor was I critiquing Canada for scoring 10 goals, it would have been condescending to not play as hard as possible and you can't very well purposely blow whatever opportunities come your way.

My complaint is simple.

The risk of these games - injuries, sickness (not so much with a country like USVI, but other, developing nations can present certain risks), pissing off pro clubs, and, most of all, developing bad habits from playing weak competition -- doesn't justify the reward.

I agree it is nice for these teams to get the chance to play better sides, but, Christ, we could have sent a CIS side down there and likely put four by them. However, since it’s a qualifier we can't take that risk.

I would rather see some kind of agreement where the top teams in the region are required to play X amount of games against developing teams each year. That way, we could send experimental teams without fear of a mishap and they could still get to play against better teams.

Archived