Has FIFA banned post game jersey...

George

exchanges?

I read this on another bulletin board, but I have had troubles confirming the second part (i.e. a banning of shirt exchanges).

If it is true it is completely ridiculous.

Here is the quote:

FIFA issued a statement today saying that in addition to banning the removal of one's uniforms after scoring a goal (players who pull off their shirt will get a yellow card), they have also decided to ban . . . . . the custom of exchanging uniforms after the match.

"A pretty move, for the love of God."

Eduardo Galeano

I sure hope that's only a rumor. Fully agree with the ban during the match, but that tradition is important to the players.

The difference between the two for me is that removing your shirt after a goal is a "look at me" gesture, whereas exchanching shirts after the is a show of respect towards your opponent.

Mimglow, Ottawa

These are the days when our work has come asunder

And these are the days when we look for something other

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I sure hope that's only a rumor. Fully agree with the ban during the match, but that tradition is important to the players.

Sometimes the shirt exchanges happen in the tunnel after the match, so I have no doubt that, even if the rumour is true, the players will find a way to continue the tradition if they want to do so.

Very true, PaulV. I always found it nice to see the players show sportsmanship in exchanging their jerseys after matches. It would be unfortunate to have to hide this symbolic gesture.

Mimglow, Ottawa

I remember one incident in particular when I was refereeing an Under 13 premier league game. A young Turkish boy removed his shirt after he scored and it took him 3 minutes to get it back on. I had to send him to the sidelines to get it fixed. So this practice during a game can cause problems.

Banning the post-game exchange makes no sense to me. I don't understand it.

FORZA FEYENOORD!!!!

Amstel Cup Finalists 2002-2003

3rd place in Eredivisie 2002-2003

2001-2002 UEFA Cup winners

quote:Originally posted by ADutchCanuck

I remember one incident in particular when I was refereeing an Under 13 premier league game. A young Turkish boy removed his shirt after he scored and it took him 3 minutes to get it back on. I had to send him to the sidelines to get it fixed. So this practice during a game can cause problems.

Not just U-13 games as well; I remember a similar thing from the World Cup last year. Many teams wore those "two-ply" Nike kits and I can remember one player whose name escapes me, fumble around for what seemed like an eternity to try and get the shirt back on. I think they eventually had to take a pair of scissors to the inside layer of the shirt. It was pretty funny, but the only person who was effected was the player himself and his team, so I don't think it is a valid reason to ban the practice (though teams with the tricky shirts might want to have their own ban).

If memory serves me, the player was David Trezeguet of France, and he only thought he had scored, it was actually called back...could be wrong, but I clearly remember him having to get one of the trainers to assist him in getting his shirt back on. They needed scissors. What a scene. Oh, and they were (and are) Adidas shirts. Canada has the same exact thing.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Therefore PaulV was right as well. It's a problem with both Nike and Adidas...hopefully Canada scores enough goals that it becomes a problem :)

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Remnants of Saddam Hussein's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

It also happened to a Croatian player during Croatia vs. Italy (you know, one of the games where Italy was totally robbed :(). If I recall correctly, it was the player who scored Croatia's tying goal, and the play restarted as he continued to battle with his shirt.

In the Brazil vs. Germany final a Brazilian had trouble putting his shirt on, but in this case he didn't take it off in celebration but rather because his first one got torn.

(In both cases the shirts were Nike.)

Looks like you've hit the panic button Little D. I wouldn't be too alarmed. FIFA realizes the beauty of its goal celebrations. But you do have to manage it a little, or you get incidents like the "Spanish Cock-Bite".

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Looks like you've hit the panic button Little D. I wouldn't be too alarmed. FIFA realizes the beauty of its goal celebrations. But you do have to manage it a little, or you get incidents like the "Spanish Cock-Bite".

My comment was more meant in sarcasm. The thing in Spain was a one off instance. The times a player can't get his shirt back on after removing it can be counted on one hand. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing wrong with removing ones shirts in celebration. Club teams said they were going to put a stop to it as well because the sponsors were getting upset.

• 2 weeks later...

FIFA has not banned the removal of the shirt in celebration of a goal, on the contrary it now officialy allows it.... provided the player does not have any advertising or slogan under his shirt. No advertising is permitted on shorts and socks now. Contravention of this ruling does not merit a caution. It is just a reportable situation. I have not seen any circular about the friendly interchange of jerseys after the end of the match.

Archived