Canada's 25-man Gold Cup roster

DJT

As released by CONCACAF (along with the rosters of the other teams --- see the "Non-Canadian Gold Cup rosters" thread) at http://www.concacaf.com/news/article.page/1507. Of course this needs to be trimmed down to 18, with the remaining 7 considered alternates in case of injury or illness.

GK: Lars Hirschfeld (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG), Pat Onstad (San Jose Earthquakes/USA), Kenny Stamatopoulous (no club);

DF: Nick Dasovic (Vancouver Whitecaps), Jason DeVos (Wigan Athletic FC/ENG), Paul Fenwick (Hibernian FC/SCO), Carl Fletcher (Atlanta Silverbacks/USA D2), Kevin McKenna (Hearts of Midiothian/SCO), Nevio Pizzolitto (L’Impact de Montréal), Chris Pozniak (Orebro/SWE), Mark Rodgers (Wycombe/ENG);

MD: Jason Bent (Plymouth Argyle FC/ENG), Maycoll Canizalez (SV Werder Bremen/GER), Richard Hasting (Graz AK/AUT), Iain Hume (Tranmere Rovers FC/ENG), Atiba Hutchinson (Osters IF/SWE), Daniel Imhof (FC St-Gallen/SUI), Ante Jazic (SK Rapid Wien/AUT), Mike Klukowski (RAA La Louviere/BEL), Martin Nash (L’Impact de Montréal), Tam Nsaliwa (FC Saarbrucken/GER D2), Paul Stalteri (SV Werder Bremen/GER), Davide Xausa (Livingston FC/SCO);

AT: Carlos Corazzin (no club), Robert Friend (Moss FK/NOR).

TD: Holger OSIECK

No surprises in this list. SoI guess DeGuzman, Radzinski, DeRossario will be the main missing players due to club and injury. And I guess Paul Peschisolido is another possible player that is missing due to lack of interest or other reasons probably...that's about it!

Reza

No surprises in this list. SoI guess DeGuzman, Radzinski, DeRossario will be the main missing players due to club and injury. And I guess Paul Peschisolido is another possible player that is missing due to lack of interest or other reasons probably...that's about it!

Reza

One more thing...you would hope that Dasovic would get cut in favour all of the newer guys so they get some exposure before getting to the world cup qualifyings but knowing Holger he will probably be there.

Reza

One more thing...you would hope that Dasovic would get cut in favour all of the newer guys so they get some exposure before getting to the world cup qualifyings but knowing Holger he will probably be there.

Reza

Brennan missing is a surprise, as we'd heard he'd been called (and would have expected it even if we hadn't heard it). I guess Holger figures he can use this tourney to give Jazic a look while giving Brennan a chance to establish himself at his new club.

I mentioned this on the other board, I expect the 6 of the 7 alternates to be: Dasovic, Rogers, Friend (don't think he's 100% healthy), one of Atiba or Kluka (former makes more sense to me since he would have to miss club dates), Hume (he's going to miss a ton of club time this fall with Olympics & U20 World Cup as is, let him stay at Tranmere unless its an emergency), one of the keepers (Lars or Kenny, depending on who is healthy). I'm not sure who the 7th would be - maybe Tam to let him establish himself at his new club as well (though take him AND Hume off & we are kind of weak on that right side of midfield).

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

One more note re: De Guzman, its also worth noting that his club teammate Steve Cherondolo is missing from the US roster, apparently because Hannover were really insistent that he back with the team after he played in the Confederations Cup. So Julian is not alone in this regard.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Although it sucks, De Guzman is also committed to his Bundesliga team. This is probably the trade-off for WCQ participation, as well as Olympic qualifying. I think this is better for him

and relations with the team and his family (think:

his brother). I'm surprised about Hume, although I did put him on my list. ;)

About Dasovic, did NOT expect that ...

Disappointed not to see Reda or Pesch. Obviously we'll miss Brennan, but this give Jazic a chance to show what he can do, so we'll see how it works out. Glad to see Xausa back involved. Is it safe to assume that most of the seven alternates will be the NA-based guys (like Dasovic, Corazzin and Fletcher). I'd hate to mess up a guy's vacation and pull them away from their Euro clubs to let them sit in the Toronto suburbs and watch on TV anyway.

No reason we can't put a very competitive XI out there. I was hoping to see Brennan and Jazic together on the left (at back and mid), but there's still more time to experiment.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

Guest Dave

Well, based on this roster here is my starting 11:

Hirschfeld

Bent Pizzolitto DeVos Klukowski

Nsaliwa Imhoff Stalteri Jazic

McKenna Canizalez

Interesting that you put MC2 up front - I think he's essential for the 18-man squad, because without Radzinski, De Rosario, De Guzman, Pesch & Brennan we lose alot of our speed up front & ability to keep possession. MC2 should retain some of that ability & has a nice set of wheels to bring off the bench.

Mind you, players like Klukowski & Jazic should also be able to hold their own in retaining possession. Really, the only guys I worry about for that ability are Dasovic, Fletcher, Fenwick and Hastings - but all 4 are likely to be in the squad of 18, methinks.

I am not sure if the postions are telling or not, but if they are, then we may see a 3-5-2. Of course, McKenna is listed as a defender, and I can not see how he will not play up front with the assortment of strikers listed.

I would like to see:

Onstad (in game shape)

Nsaliwa De Vos Pozniak

Bent Imhoff

Nash Stalteri Jazic

Mckenna Xausa

And I think with this group, a 3-5-2 is a viable formation. Slow forwards, however. I'd be tempted to play Stalteri as a striker except, I think he has to do the centre of the mid field. I hope to see Hutchinson, Klukowski and MC2 get some decent playing time, and I definitely hope that Hume gets the call (and some speedy sub time). I think that Xausa's experience will come in more useful that MC2's speed at this point in Miguel/Maycoll's development.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

I would like to see up play 4-4-2 with Nsaliwa and Jazic in the fullback positions DeVos and someone with some speed with him. Then Stalteri Imhof and two others in midfield may Nash and Bent. And McKenna (target)Yes and Hume (need his speed) up front. I would like to see some attacking play coming from the fullback positions.

As for Brennan, I wonder if he may be added later (if possible)... The roster may have been announced before Brennan could get clearance from Norwich. It appears he was still in Norwich finalizing the contract (physical, etc). I hope so.. Would love to see Jazic and Brennan together on the left side...

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I would like to see up play 4-4-2 with Nsaliwa and Jazic in the fullback positions DeVos and someone with some speed with him. Then Stalteri Imhof and two others in midfield may Nash and Bent. And McKenna (target)Yes and Hume (need his speed) up front. I would like to see some attacking play coming from the fullback positions.

My preference is normally towards a 4-4-2 as well. I think that we may be too slow (or inexperienced) to be able to generate much offence with the attackers we have in the 4-4-2 formation and need to push an extra body into the midfield. We will see soon enough. Nsaliwa and Jazic as fullbacks, with DeVos and another in the centre is a very attractive backline. Who to partner De Vos however? Hopefully Menezes can get a gig with a decent team in a decent League and return to form.

Brennan and de Guzman in the midfield would make this set up much more attractive.. but that is mute ...

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

My preference is normally towards a 4-4-2 as well. I think that we may be too slow (or inexperienced) to be able to generate much offence with the attackers we have in the 4-4-2 formation and need to push an extra body into the midfield. We will see soon enough. Nsaliwa and Jazic as fullbacks, with DeVos and another in the centre is a very attractive backline. Who to partner De Vos however? Hopefully Menezes can get a gig with a decent team in a decent League and return to form.

The big loss however in the long run is Tony Menezes. He was such a promising player, but he made that fatal move to China when he had a chance with DC United last Gold Cup. If he doesn't bounce back from his current status, that would really hurt Canada's qualifying chances. On a positive note, having Jazic provides the option of putting Brennan in defence to cover up for the shortcomings in the backline.

Reza

Guest Jeffery S.

Given our strongest line is in the midfield, I would go for a 4-4-2 as long as it is reasonable. Stronger in the area of control, with players who can go forward from there without worrying about defensive holding responsibilities and look for the goals that we can't always expect without folks like Radz and DD in the line-up.

The thing is we can't expect McKenna to do all the work in the air and still be fresh to pressure defenses late in a game. We need decent subs, quick and at least with some goal-scoring ability, to cover the late 2nd halfs and save results, if not make them.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

I still favour a 4-4-2, I'd like to see this as our top eleven:

Onstad

Nsaliwa--Pizolitto--DeVos--Hastings

Nash--Imhof--Stalteri--Jazic

McKenna--Canizalez

Given the time we have between games I think it would be wise to use a lot of players in the first two games. For example you could put Dasovic in for Pizolitto, Bent for Imhof, Klukowski for Hastings, Hume for MC2, Hirschfeld for Onstad, Pozniak for Nsaliwa and maybe even Hutchinson for Nash. Maybe not all straight swaps for 90 mins, but even giving these guys 30 mins against Cuba if all is going well will help keep us fresh for the QF *touch wood*.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

Good ideas , Matthew. I'm sure Holger has something like this planned, depending on how successful we are in the tougher Costa Rica game. Like most countries did in the Confed Cup. I'm starting to get a little excited.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

this is going to be a wonderful competition. we are bringing a relatively strong side, and with our captain, devos, back we have a strong strong chance at another semi-final appearance. i am dissappointed that we couldn't get our entire first team out, but if it means having the strongest possible side for world cup qualifying then i am all for a somewhat weakened gold cup side.

because we are forced to bring a weakened side - thanks to players only playing in the euro format - it is absolutely essential that canada/usa create a true soccer league with relegation and cups, and as high a level as possible. that means not limiting foreigners to 3, but maybe 6 on the field at once. having foreign players on the field can only improve the standard of our canadian players. look what it's done for the english game having all those continental europeans and south americans. i digress......this could be a very good tournament.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

DeVos' inclusion in this 25-player roster doesn't mean he'll be in the final 18-player roster. I hope he will be, but we've received no confirmation one way or the other about whether he's fully recovered from his foot injury.

The same goes for Hirschfeld - the CSA probably just included Hirschfeld and DeVos in the 25-player roster in hopes that they'd be fit and could be picked. We won't know for sure until the 18-player roster is released.

I agree with Reza that Tony Menezes is a big loss. Right now I don't have a lot of confidence in any of our other defenders besides DeVos. However, I'd like to see Pozniak get at least one game in central defence alongside DeVos (if DeVos is healthy.) A few years from now, I think DeVos and Pozniak will be our top two central defenders (with all due respect to Kevin McKenna.) Poz isn't there yet, but I'd like to see Holger start phasing him in a little more than he has been.

I agree with Jeffrey S. that McKenna is going to need some help up front or he'll be worn out. Peschisolido would have been an ideal super-sub. It's really too bad he's not on the roster. In his absence, I'd put Corazzin up front with McKenna in a 4-4-2, with Canizalez and Xausa on the substitute bench.

I don't agree with those who are calling for MC2 to start because I think McKenna needs a partner who can pass to him. Canizalez has a lot of positives to offer the offence, but his passing can be a little erratic at times (I'm sure he'll continue to improve with time). Despite being slower than Canizalez, I think Corazzin's touch, ball distribution and veteran instincts will complement McKenna a lot better. Canizalez is best used coming off the bench, when his speed and dribbling ability will allow him to take advantage of tired defenders.

I also like Matthew's idea of spreading around the playing time as much as possible. I think we'll need to play more defensively against Costa Rica than against Cuba, since Cuba always seems to play with ten behind the ball against us, so giving some of our younger more offensive-oriented guys a run out against Cuba might be a good fit. However, I don't think Holger will do that.

Mike D

Archived