Canuck sighting in Korea!

Here's three photos of yesterday's Busan I'cons v. Feyenoord match from the Korean newspaper Sports Seoul.

http://www.sportsseoul.com/special/zoomin/UpLoad/7(18).jpg

(note: you have to cut and paste the whole image address... this message board software won't link to it properly, due to the brackets in the file name)

Take a look at the second photo... there's a Canada flag near the middle of the pic. Yours truly!

Yeah, the Times is one of the two I scribble for. There's a resident writer there who's a bit or an arsehole, but a few of us blokes are trying to end his monopoly.

The Herald is a piece of crap. I wouldn't even wipe my arse with that rag. More than 80% of their stories are lifted from the wires. Have never seen a paper with so little original content in all of my life. And not a thing about Korean sports in their sports section.:(

Gangwon province? Damn, talk about the middle of nowhere!

Yeah, teachign English is somethign I've always been interested in too. Thanks for the recommendation.

And strobe-z, your animation is fantastic.

Monday mornings 7 - 9: Wake up to African music on CFMU 93.3 Hamilton or cfmu.mcmaster.ca

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Gangwon province? Damn, talk about the middle of nowhere!

That's exactly what I said when I was first posted there. Came to really enjoy it though.. close enough to Seoul that I could take an early morning train on Saturday or Sunday, have a great day and still be home in time for supper. If you haven't been out that way, I'd recommend it.

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com/strobe_z/Voyageurs.swf

Wow. World travellers.

I was in Kenora once. Sixty or seventy miles east of Winnipeg. Back in oh, '79? '80? Beer strike in Manitoba at the time so made a family trip to Ontario to replenish the supply. Never realised how big the trunk to the old pontiac was before then.

Sorry, but to this praire boy the town kinda smelt funny. And hey, I remember when Swift, Burns, Canada Packers, and Maple Leaf were all going strong in Saint B.

P.S. Wow. Post secondary education.[V]

Minority of one

So Cheeta, I guess the Sasky game will be a distance record for you! ;)

Strobe: I've been in Incheon for an hour or so at the airport, and went to Daejeon for a footie match, but neither really count, as I didn't have time to smell the roses.

I'm off to the Guus Hiddink Stadium in Gwangju on Sunday to watch the Busan lads get their first 3 points in what seems like an eternity. Thinking of making a Korean grounds guide website... oh god, I've become an anorak! Jarrek would be proud!

Small world. One of my best friends taught English in Busan last year, she on Jaeju island (I think that's right) now. She did manage to go to a few World Cup games. I also nearly got talked into applying to work for the Korean Times, but decided not too.

How long are you planning on staying?

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Small world. One of my best friends taught English in Busan last year, she on Jaeju island (I think that's right) now. She did manage to go to a few World Cup games. I also nearly got talked into applying to work for the Korean Times, but decided not too.

How long are you planning on staying?

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

Small world. I got lost briefly in P/Busan while driving from Seoul to Jeju Island a couple of years ago. And yes, I realize that isn't the most direct route :)

In a World full of caterpillars it takes balls to be a butterfly.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

You drove in Korea?

Are you bloomin' mad?!?

Seoul at rush hour was defintiely an experience I won't forget :D However, generally speaking, once I realized that the adage "He who hesitates is lost" applies and that the concept of lanes is more of a theory than a practice, things were fine.

In a World full of caterpillars it takes balls to be a butterfly.

Archived