Mexican National Team

Chad_Impact

Apologies if there is already a thread on this. 

What is up here? How is this football-mad country not up there with all the other football powerhouses? It's always astonished me that with a big population, huge sports fandom, history, and a traditionally strong domestic league, they have nothing to show for it. 

It's only getting worse too. At least before they had some notable players and you can make arguments they underperformed. Last night's roster was a 1st choice team and outside of a few players, I didn't know any of them. 

Anybody here follow Mexican football and have insights on this? 

Edited by Chad_Impact

Just now, Chad_Impact said:

Apologies if there is already a thread on this. 

What is up here? How is this football-mad country not up there with all the other football powerhouses? It's always astonished me that with a big population, huge sports fandom, history, and a traditionally strong domestic league, they have nothing to show for it. 

It's only getting worse too. At least before they had some notable players and you can make arguments they underperformed. Last night's roster was a 1st choice team and outside of a few players, I didn't know any of them. 

Interesting topic.

I really only know Alvarez (very well),  Ochoa, Lozano and off the bench Gimenez. Alvarez is very good at what he does but that is limited and he loves himself a yellow, which reduces his effectiveness. Ochoa can be a top shot stopper but is limited in other areas and getting older. Lozano seems to be slowing down?

Is their league too good or too comfortable? I see good American kids getting snapped up by big clubs pretty regularly, they often don't make it but they got a great football education. Not sure I see the same amount with Mexico.

Anyway, we need to take this advantage.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I really only know Alvarez (very well),  Ochoa, Lozano and off the bench Gimenez. Alvarez is very good at what he does but that is limited and he loves himself a yellow, which reduces his effectiveness. Ochoa can be a top shot stopper but is limited in other areas and getting older. Lozano seems to be slowing down?

Exactly I know those players, and Pineda. All of them seem to be slowing down outside maybe Alvarez, but even him like you said, he's not a world beater. 

The rest of the team? Liga Mx players who personally I've never really heard of. Looking at that team I'd honestly make the argument they're 3rd, maybe even 4th in Concacaf right now. They'll always be tough to beat in Mexico but outside of that, they're not exactly scary. 

It's mind-boggling how they can get to this point with their resources 

Edited by Chad_Impact

Several things. None of them new. Biggest hindrance is competition. Historically at the club and national level, Mexico has been a big fish in a small pond. Their league success has led to good wages which can deter players from moving abroad but also clubs valuing their players higher than what European clubs are willing to pay for transfer fees.

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 11:01 PM, DrunkOffPunch said:

Several things. None of them new. Biggest hindrance is competition. Historically at the club and national level, Mexico has been a big fish in a small pond. Their league success has led to good wages which can deter players from moving abroad but also clubs valuing their players higher than what European clubs are willing to pay for transfer fees.

Yeah makes sense, kind of along the lines of what I've read in the past. 

Still though, you'd think if the league is developing players who are good enough consistently, the pressure from top clubs/leagues in Europe would lead to transfers 

Edited by Chad_Impact