RUMOR: Any truth to a CPL team at Swangard?

I totally hear people when they say that all it takes is one millionaire to take TSS or Sigma to CPL, there's rarely anything in life that is impossible. That said, we're imagining CPL to position itself as a league that will rival NASL or strive to be at an even higher level than NASL.

If so, then it's hard for me to see why potential CPL owners, whether Young or the Bombers or a Vancouver-based owner, would look at TSS, which to me seems like a small private academy that was ecstatic enough to be able to put a team in USL PDL, which to all extents is a U23 developmental league, get docked 3 points for the incorrect processing of an international player certificate, and think that this academy would make a logical candidate to be converted into a professional side at near-MLS level.

It just makes little business and financial sense for any investor to go through this process. Any Vancouver-based investor would be far better off, marketing and business-wise, to start from scratch, and keep everything professional from Day 1. And if that Vancouver CPL side wanted to use TSS Rovers as a PDL affiliate, then yes, that would make total sense.

And sure, Sigma may be the one private academy in Canada that may be a candidate only because of its incredible track record. As awesome as TSS's Canadian ethos has been, Vancouver would be far better served with a CPL side from scratch. 

When you start hearing media reports and speculation about teams in K/W, Saskatoon and Trois Rivieres, it's not as clear cut as it was when a CFL owner heavy "original six" was being speculated about as recently as a few weeks back that the goal actually is to be at near-MLS level. Have the TSS people not been quoted as stating that they have had some contact with the people pushing the formation of CPL?

Archived