Ottawa Fury's move to USL - Which Canadians stay, which Canadians leave?

shermanator

Figure this will be an interesting discussion, since most of the NASL / USL / CPL discussions will be pretty unbearable over the next few months with the same arguments on repeat. AJ Jakubec mentioned that the player budget will be the same in 2017. With that information, who do you think stays with the Fury in 2017, who goes, and why?

Here are my thoughts:

Eddie Edward - Stays. Moved to the Fury to be close to family. Has already Tweeted his excitement over the move. No brainer.

Dario Conte - Stays. Academy product, the move to a lower level might work in his favour as it's an easier jump up from the academy.

Julian de Guzman - Leaves. Sounds like he will retire shortly. I can see him in a role with the national team.

Mozzi Gyorio - Leaves. Really nowhere to go for him, he's barely played all year and hit his peak years ago.

Andrew MacRae - Stays. Depth keeper, no reason to leave if the club wants him back.

Adam Malekos - Ummmm.....stays? Don't know much about him.

Carl Haworth - Stays. He's got a good thing in Ottawa, and IMO is not quality enough to move to another  NASL club.

Mallan Roberts - Leaves. Don't see him making a permanent move with this news.

Kyle Porter - Leaves. I can see him trying to get on with another NASL club, perhaps unsuccessfully.

Mauro Eustaquio - Stays. This may be the break he needs to finally be an every game starter for the club.

Jamar Dixon - Leaves. He came to the Fury because he wanted to play at a high enough level for the national team. USL is not that level outside of camp poutine. 

Marcel de Bellis - Stays. Like Eustaquio, this could finally be his shot at the starting role.

Maxim Tissot - Leaves. He is way too good of a player for USL, and personally I would be really disappointed if he stayed in Ottawa. I wonder if he regrets not taking one of the other four rumoured offers?

Your list is sound. Here's my thoughts:

Stay

Eddie Edwards: He's pretty much said he's in.

"It's been real @naslofficial thanks for all the memories. Looking forward to making new ones in @USL! Exciting times to come #FuryFC
— Eddie Edward (@eddieedwardfc) <a href="https://twitter.com/eddieedwardfc/status/791008619076657156">October 25, 2016</a>

Marcel de Bellis - USL starter. It'll be great for him to get the minutes he deserves.

Mario Eustaquio - Stays. Will probably become a regular starter. He can shine in USL.

Andrew MacRae - Probably stay if Fury want him as their backup.

Dario Conte - Again, great chance for him to get the minutes he needs. With some more development, quality product.

Adam Malekos - If Fury want him, he'll stay. He desperately needs to get on field, and the USL-level may provide an opening.

50/50:

Carl Haworth - He might stay, but he could probably move on to provide another NASL team depth. I'd say 50/50 with him.

Kyle Porter - He's good, but not consistent enough for NASL. I think it depends on what Fury offer.

Gone:

Tissot: Moving on up. He'll have options.

de Guzman: Retirement as a player. I can see him becoming a trainer or assistant coach, but I think he's ready.

Dixon & Roberts: They want on the national team, USL is not the level for them to get there. They'll try to move up or over, but might end up on Unattached FC.

Gyorio: Don't see Fury renewing & don't see him wanting to step "down" to USL.

On 2016-10-25 at 10:26 PM, shermanator said:

Mozzi Gyorio - Leaves. Really nowhere to go for him, he's barely played all year and hit his peak years ago.

Carl Haworth - Stays. He's got a good thing in Ottawa, and IMO is not quality enough to move to another  NASL club.

Kyle Porter - Leaves. I can see him trying to get on with another NASL club, perhaps unsuccessfully.

Maxim Tissot - Leaves. He is way too good of a player for USL, and personally I would be really disappointed if he stayed in Ottawa. I wonder if he regrets not taking one of the other four rumoured offers?

It should be noted that Gyorio has spent most of the season out injured, although he failed to break into the lineup in the Spring season. He's also one of PD's favourites. I wouldn't re-sign him personally, he's a very skilled player but agonizingly slow, although a step down to the USL might give him a better chance to take advantage of his strengths even if the squad has the same depth as this year, i.e. he might have similar competition, but he'll benefit from the step down more than his teamates. He was very good for the Aztex toward the end of 2015 after failing to break into the lineup earlier in the season.

Carl would be a great stiker for most NASL teams. We should remember he's scored only one fewer goal than Tom Heinemenn last year and he's in the league's top 10 in goalscoring, not to mention he brings a lot more to the table as a playmaker and off the ball compared to Heinemann. He's a dynamic, creative and dangerous attacking threat that I imagine at least a few NASL clubs would be interested in. That said, he's a fan favourite and he owes a huge part of his success to the system Dalglish plays, so I would hope that he stays.

Porter was decent with Atlanta in 2015 but has been more lacklustre this season. I too doubt he stays, but I'd say he'd be much better off playing in USL rather than probably being a rotation or depth player for most NASL sides.

Not necessarily easy to say on Tissot. He's obviously a top player in the NASL, forget USL, so it definitely would be reasonable for him to move somewhere else. That said, he has implied that he wants to try and make the move to Europe after next season, so maybe he sticks it out with Ottawa in USL where he'd be a star and stand a reasonable chance of winning a championship. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he just moved to another NASL club or tried to go straight to Europe instead.

• 5 months later...

Archived