Spanish La Liga Club to Invest In NASL

La Liga chief backs Rayo Vallecano's proposed NASL investment

http://www.espnfc.com/north-american-soccer-league/story/2573956/la-liga-chief-backs-rayo-vallecano-nasl-investment-proposal

La Liga president Javier Tebas has welcomed a move by Rayo Vallecano to purchase proposed North American Soccer League expansion franchise Oklahoma City FC.

Why Oklahoma City?  Would have thought NASL would have been better served with a presence in California and there are a number of large cities that are under-served as soccer markets.  Does NASL have an expansion plan for Central U.S.?

Seems the Rayo, or lightning bolt symbol of the team, has some relation to a city with its biggest sports franchise the Thunder. I can't get beyond that.

They say they'll keep the NPSL team as the B team and the women, and go from there.

The argument here in Spain, and I have read a few articles, does not seem that well worked out: somehow a higher profile brand in the US will help Rayo retain players instead of having to sell constantly. But I thought selling and making money that way was a key to their financial stability, being the 2nd lowest budget in 1st division (Eibar is probably lower).

Mind you, if their Chinese sponsor thinks that logo on a NASL shirt is enough to justify bankrolling a 2nd tier side, fine, that must be enough.

Seems the Rayo, or lightning bolt symbol of the team, has some relation to a city with its biggest sports franchise the Thunder. I can't get beyond that.

They say they'll keep the NPSL team as the B team and the women, and go from there.

The argument here in Spain, and I have read a few articles, does not seem that well worked out: somehow a higher profile brand in the US will help Rayo retain players instead of having to sell constantly. But I thought selling and making money that way was a key to their financial stability, being the 2nd lowest budget in 1st division (Eibar is probably lower).

Mind you, if their Chinese sponsor thinks that logo on a NASL shirt is enough to justify bankrolling a 2nd tier side, fine, that must be enough.

Well if that's their goal, I think anyone here can reasonably presume that will end in failure.  The only thing that will help them retain players is winning and $.  

Well if that's their goal, I think anyone here can reasonably presume that will end in failure.  The only thing that will help them retain players is winning and $.  

I agree, it seems totally irrational on their part, I don't see how they could possibly benefit, unless the cost is so low to the sponsor that it does not matter. Otherwise they get nothing out of it. What will they do, call themselves the OKC Bolts? Is that it?

One of the surprises I have found in relation to this is  how Manchester City has Nike as their EPL sponsor but has accepted that NYCFC in MLS keeps the league sponsor and dresses in Adidas. It is an owner decision, but I am sure it irked Nike they are using their brand in the US to sell Adidas shirts.  I was always under the impression that this would never happen, that it would be an impediment. On top of this, with the Yankees half owners, you have one of the rare teams that does not show the logo of the shirt maker, Majestic Athletic. So that was no conflict.

Archived