US and Canadian professional soccer attendance

nolando

What I find most interesting is the slow and more steady growth of the D3 attendances. Fluctuating much less than MLS and D2 I would intepret that as growing awareness of, and approciation for, D3 and it's place in the pyramid.

I always find Kenn's analysis to be interesting, but I'm still skeptical of some of the numbers - I wonder what percentage of each part of the pyramid is paid attendance vs. comp. tickets or tickets distributed. Years ago it was reported that MLS teams were fudging their numbers, and that made the analysis moot - Kenn even acknowledged this. I'm willing to bet that a lot of lower-division teams give away a lot of tickets, too.

What I find most interesting is the slow and more steady growth of the D3 attendances. Fluctuating much less than MLS and D2 I would intepret that as growing awareness of, and approciation for, D3 and it's place in the pyramid.

Actually D3 USL has been stagnating the last 3 years around 3K per year while the D2 NASL has increased close to 1000 per year in the same time frame (2012>3800 avg, 2013>4600 avg and 2014> 5500 avg approximately) with NASL breaking the D2 record last year for average attendance.

For such a young league (only in its 5th year) NASL is solidly increasing their attendance year by year.

Archived