CWNT residency

rob.notenboom

Article giving an overview of the upcoming residency. I'm a bit surprised Nichelle Prince and Janine Beckie aren't getting a look. Realizing that they're young and fairly untested, but we need some more offensive options up front. Who knows ... Maybe they could successfully make the jump.

Also Beckie needs to be cap-tied if we want to keep her.

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-wnt-s-sight-set-on-canada-2015-p157013

I don't think that those girls are ready too displace the Sinclair , Leon and co. Also, I highly doubt that Canada would select Beckie just to captie her. I can't recall if Beckie played official matches (read CONCACAF or FIFA U-17) for the US before, but even if she hasn't, we shouldn't select her for fear of losing her to them.

Good to see Aly Chapman in the mix. She's playing at a decent level and it's good that they didn't forget about her.

I'm not saying they are ready to displace them. I am saying that we need to be looking at all of our offensive possibilities and Prince and Beckie might be able to provide something.

On the other hand they simply might not be ready and perhaps Herdman et al have already ascertained that. 

On your other point, I believe the U20 WWC matches were the first official for Beckie as she was playing very coy in a couple of interviews where she was specifically asked about country of allegiance. In other words, her switch is still there. I realize that a WWC is not the best time to bring someone in for the specific purpose of cap-tying her, but bringing her into a residency might at least renew your expression of interest. This might interfere with her university season so perhaps that is why she is not there.

• 3 months later...

Does this tournament in China count as an official FIFA tournament for cap-tying?  Janine Beckie played (and scored) today in the match against Korea.

The Four Nations aren't official, no. And I don't think Beckie played an official youth tournament for the Americans so she wouldn't have had to use a "one-time switch". I believe she'd still be eligible to return to the United States unless we put her out in the World Cup.

Archived