Detroit MLS???

It doesn't say what they are planning to do with the Pontiac Dome...Detroit is a big enough city for a MLS club, but having said that, this seems just a sort of pretext to make money on downtown development. Why didn't they start a NASL or ULSL Pro team before, to show they're serious about soccer?

I think Detroit would definitely do well in MLS. The Detroit Express of the NASL had a reasonable following but was forced to play out of the cavernous Silverdome and would have continued but the team was moved in 1981 to Washington as the new Diplomats. The original Diplomats were bleeding money and decided to fold. The league did not want to lose a team in Washington so they convinced the owner of the Express to move the team. Here is a picture of the Express' most famous player, Trevor Francis, who was loaned to the Express for two summers and proceeded to score 36 goals in 33 games. He later played for Nottingham Forest and Manchester City among others:

Express%2078%20Road%20Trevor%20Francis.jpg

Mark, please refresh my memory. Your name sounds vaguely familiar.

I'm fairly certain (though I could also be wrong) that we used to chat (maybe on IM messenger) about what was then the A-League and Montreal. It could even be longer than 10 years ago though. I seem to recall that you were working in IT or something like that.

I'm fairly certain (though I could also be wrong) that we used to chat (maybe on IM messenger) about what was then the A-League and Montreal. It could even be longer than 10 years ago though. I seem to recall that you were working in IT or something like that.

I covered the Impact for A-league.com which later became Uslfans.com from 2000 to 2005, so yes, very possible.

I think Detroit would definitely do well in MLS. The Detroit Express of the NASL had a reasonable following but was forced to play out of the cavernous Silverdome and would have continued but the team was moved in 1981 to Washington as the new Diplomats. The original Diplomats were bleeding money and decided to fold. The league did not want to lose a team in Washington so they convinced the owner of the Express to move the team. Here is a picture of the Express' most famous player, Trevor Francis, who was loaned to the Express for two summers and proceeded to score 36 goals in 33 games. He later played for Nottingham Forest and Manchester City among others:

Express%2078%20Road%20Trevor%20Francis.jpg

"Knocked It Off", reached #8 in the UK singles chart. the song by BA Robertson was based upon Francis exploits in the 1979 European cup Final.

The ball was spread to Forest's lugubrious but [skillful] winger John Robertson wide on the left and he took on two defenders at once to reach the byline and curl an awkward, [out swinging] cross towards the far post. Francis had already begun to sprint into position, but even he had to increase his pace to reach the cross as it dropped, and ended up throwing himself low at the ball. He connected with his head and the ball diverted powerfully into the roof of the net. Forest won the match 1-0 and footage of the goal was used in the opening titles to Match of the Day for some years afterwards.

Chances are his days as the Britain's first £1 million player, even though Brian Clough swore blind up until his death, that he only paid £999,999.99 for him. "So as to not let the young man get carried away with himself".

Actually 1979-1981 saw little old Nottingham Forrest at the top in Europe. Twice winners of the European cup, with Chelsea spending most of their time peer through the either side of the Relegation trap door.

Recently I saw article on Detroit City FC playing out of a School establishment, with the Cities financial turmoil is Detroit really in a position to be an MLS franchise or does building in the NASL seem more appropriate?

Hey they could get Trev back manager. He does have lots of experience.

Don't know if any of you follow the Northern Guard or know of their work, but they hate this guy. He's connected to Sparta Michigan, which is a displaced team from Ontario. Basically the Northern Guard aren't having it, they like being in the lower tiers of football, they have more freedom.

I would not expect a Detroit MLS side. Too many conflicting loyalties.

Don't know if any of you follow the Northern Guard or know of their work, but they hate this guy. He's connected to Sparta Michigan, which is a displaced team from Ontario. Basically the Northern Guard aren't having it, they like being in the lower tiers of football, they have more freedom.

I would not expect a Detroit MLS side. Too many conflicting loyalties.

NASL 2016 then?

Get to Design and Keep (if you prefer) your own non-Addidas cookie cutter shirts and club Merchandise. ;)

I covered the Impact for A-league.com which later became Uslfans.com from 2000 to 2005, so yes, very possible.

yep..I know that I lost all of your contact information when I last changed jobs back in 2003 and when I tried to look you up later on...you were gone! So welcome back!!! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived