Expansion of Canadian Championship?

Guest GoGreen

Guest GoGreen

With the new Ottawa NASL team, this 4 team tournament format may not be applicable starting in 2013, here's an article from mlssoccer.com discussing possible expansion of this tournament. To possibly including semi-professional (CSL) and amateur teams in the competition.

I think it's a good idea and would really like seeing some CSL teams possibly challenge the Canadian MLS teams

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/05/10/throw-its-time-true-canadian-open-cup

Add PLSQ teams too. If the interleague matches don't start too early in the competition then hopefully the teams can build the momentum/support to cover the further interleague travel costs. To be honest I think the team(s) that would make it all way through should be fine, playing competive games against teams of that high of profile should be profitable.

Now a Different Source: http://www.canadasoccer.com/the-road-to-and-from-amway-canadian-championship-2012-p150261&t=championship_article

The road to and from Amway Canadian Championship 2012

The Amway Canadian Championship is the Canadian Soccer Association's annual professional club cup competition. The Championship winner is awarded the Voyageurs Cup and is registered as Canada's representative in CONCACAF Champions League, the confederation championship which in turn qualifies one club for the FIFA Club World Cup.

The Championship itself is a knock-out competition, with four teams split into two semi-final series. Each semi-final winner advances to the final series. Every series is played over two matches, with each team hosting one leg at their home venue. The team with the most goals scored after two matches wins the series.

In 2012, Toronto FC will face Impact Montréal in one semi-final series while Vancouver Whitecaps FC will face FC Edmonton in the other semi-final series. Semi-final matches will be played on Wednesday 2 May (in Montréal and Edmonton) and Wednesday 9 May (in Toronto and Vancouver). The two final series matches will be played on Wednesday 16 May and Wednesday 23 May.

TIE-BREAKER RULES

If the two teams score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team which scores more away goals is determined as the winner. If this tie-breaker does not produce a winner, then both teams will play two 15-minute periods of extra time after the second leg. If, during extra time, both teams score the same number of goals, the away goals will count as double in favour of the visiting team. If no goals are scored during extra time, then kicks from the penalty mark (in accordance with FIFA Laws of the Game) will be used to determine the winner.

SEEDING THE TEAMS

At the moment, the four teams participating in the Amway Canadian Championship come from Major League Soccer (first division) and the North American Soccer League (second division). To determine the semi-final match-ups, teams are seeded based on standings in their respective leagues. As such, it will be the 2012 MLS and NASL standings that determine the seeding for the 2013 Amway Canadian Championship (three MLS teams followed by one NASL team). For the 2012 Championship, the seeding was based on the 2011 standings, with Toronto FC first (MLS), Vancouver Whitecaps FC second (MLS), FC Edmonton third (NASL) and Impact Montréal fourth (until last year, NASL).

When more Canadian teams join a second division (ie, NASL), then a Championship Qualifying round will be played to determine the fourth team in the Amway Canadian Championship. The qualified team from second division (NASL) would still be seeded behind the three automatic berths from first division (MLS).

CLUB ROSTERS

Seven days before the Amway Canadian Championship, the clubs must submit their rosters to the Canadian Soccer Association. The roster must feature no more than 30 players. No later than 48 hours (two days) before each match, clubs must submit a list of 23 players from their roster. Sixty-five minutes before kickoff, clubs must submit an 18-player lineup with 11 starters and seven substitutions. A maximum of three of those seven substitute players can be used in the match.

Club rosters will feature a maximum of 30 players. As such, clubs that submit fewer than 30 players at the onset of the competition can then add new players until they have filled their 30 roster spots. A player must appear on the club roster to be eligible to compete in the Amway Canadian Championship. After featuring in a match with one club, a player may not appear for any other club for the duration of that season's Amway Canadian Championship.

CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

CONCACAF Champions League features 24 teams from across the continent, with presently one Canadian team included in the competition. The Amway Canadian Championship is the only qualification route for Canadian professional clubs to enter this competition. As such, a Canadian champion must be declared in advance of the new CONCACAF Champions League season, in accordance with the schedule set forth by CONCACAF. The 2012 Canadian champion will qualify for the 2012-13 CONCACAF Champions League season; the 2012-13 CONCACAF champion will then qualify for the FIFA Club World Cup in 2013.

FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP

The annual FIFA Club World Cup features continental champions from across the world. The tournament features six continental champions plus a club from the host country. If the top team from the host country is the same as the continental champion, then a continental runner-up will be selected to ensure that no country is represented more than once in the competition. The first match of the competition will then feature the host country club against the OFC (Oceannia) champion. The winner of that match as well as continental champions from CONCACAF, CAF (Africa) and AFC (Asia) will face each other in the next round (single-match elimination), with the match-ups determined by a draw. Two winners will then advance to the semi-final phase to face the continental winners from CONMEBOL (South America) and UEFA (Europe), with again the match-ups pre-determined by a draw. The two semi-final winners then advance to the championship final.

At the moment, the four teams participating in the Amway Canadian Championship come from Major League Soccer (first division) and the North American Soccer League (second division). To determine the semi-final match-ups, teams are seeded based on standings in their respective leagues. As such, it will be the 2012 MLS and NASL standings that determine the seeding for the 2013 Amway Canadian Championship (three MLS teams followed by one NASL team). For the 2012 Championship, the seeding was based on the 2011 standings, with Toronto FC first (MLS), Vancouver Whitecaps FC second (MLS), FC Edmonton third (NASL) and Impact Montréal fourth (until last year, NASL).

When more Canadian teams join a second division (ie, NASL), then a Championship Qualifying round will be played to determine the fourth team in the Amway Canadian Championship. The qualified team from second division (NASL) would still be seeded behind the three automatic berths from first division (MLS).

That's the most important part of it. 4spots overall. 3MLS and 1NASL if there are more 2nd Division Teams(NASL) then they play among themselves to determine who gets the Lone Spot left. And I can only assume that if there were 3NASL Teams then they would have a tournament in the same manner as the 3MLS sides had until Edmonton arrived.

Well, I really think there are four ways to go about this.

- Give the top two MLS teams a by and the other MLS team, the NASL teams and the best CSA team play a random preliminary stage.

Pro: CSA gets more acknowledgement, more incentive for MLS teams to perform better then Canadian rivals

Con: CSA stadiums are not equipped to handle MLS teams/fanbases, extends series from 6 to 10 games, may cause scheduling issues.

- Give the NASL teams a free pass and each team plays eight games, best record wins the championship using goal differential as the tiebreaker.

Pro: Fair to everyone as each gets a home and away game vs each team.

Con: Extends the series from 6 to 20 games which will cause scheduling issues, some prefer knockout format, no benefit based on league performance

- Give NASL one berth and whichever Canadian NASL team has the best regular season record gets it.

Pro: Closest to existing format doesn't extend series, Offers NASL teams incentive to be better then their Canadian rivals

Con: Possible for a NASL champion to not qualify, Hurts NASL expansion desire as only given one potential berth

- Give NASL one berth and they play one another for that berth before the tournament starts

Pro: Close to existing format as it extends series by only two games.

Con: Extends series from 6 to 8 games, Hurts NASL expansion desire as only given one potential berth

Really, I'd like to see more games in the Canadian championship, but there is scheduling constraints with MLS and NASL. I'd like to see the second option, but I think the fourth option is the realistic option.

There is of course a fifth, insane option that the article above suggests. Run it like the FA Cup. Everyone in MLS, NASL, CSL, PDL/PCSL gets a chance, but that's not likely. Keep in mind, most CSL teams play out of 2,000 seat stadiums and their PDL/PCSL counterparts sometimes are even smaller if you throw them into the mix. The amount of money you'd have to throw, flying people across country is crazy as well, unlike in all of Europe where you and load the team onto a bus and drive in the same country. Add the challenge trophy teams to that, and it becomes even more crazy.

Heck Ontario alone is about the size even the largest European countries (Russia doesn't count). It works in Europe because you can take a bus to your opponent. It would be great to see, but it's just not feasible unless the government severely steps up it's funding for the CSA. Now just having MLS, NASL and CSL teams is a bit more reasonable given that save for the Whitecaps and FC Edmonton all the teams are in bus distance in Ontario and Quebec (if they draw Vancouver or Edmonton, they redraw or the CSA can pick up that tab) but that's not really fair to the rest of the country given the CSL is an Ontario based league. That is unless the CSL expands (which it should into CHL like tiers in my opinion).

Well, I really think there are four ways to go about this.

- Give the top two MLS teams a by and the other MLS team, the NASL teams and the best CSA team play a random preliminary stage.

Pro: CSA gets more acknowledgement, more incentive for MLS teams to perform better then Canadian rivals

Con: CSA stadiums are not equipped to handle MLS teams/fanbases, extends series from 6 to 10 games, may cause scheduling issues.

- Give the NASL teams a free pass and each team plays eight games, best record wins the championship using goal differential as the tiebreaker.

Pro: Fair to everyone as each gets a home and away game vs each team.

Con: Extends the series from 6 to 20 games which will cause scheduling issues, some prefer knockout format, no benefit based on league performance

- Give NASL one berth and whichever Canadian NASL team has the best regular season record gets it.

Pro: Closest to existing format doesn't extend series, Offers NASL teams incentive to be better then their Canadian rivals

Con: Possible for a NASL champion to not qualify, Hurts NASL expansion desire as only given one potential berth

- Give NASL one berth and they play one another for that berth before the tournament starts

Pro: Close to existing format as it extends series by only two games.

Con: Extends series from 6 to 8 games, Hurts NASL expansion desire as only given one potential berth

Really, I'd like to see more games in the Canadian championship, but there is scheduling constraints with MLS and NASL. I'd like to see the second option, but I think the fourth option is the realistic option.

Another Option would be for Ottawa(assuming the next NASL Team), Edmonton and the 3MLS sides to play in a Group format which means 8games. Since Realistically I do Not See another team of NASL "caliber" for a while in the Canadian sky. Tha would only add 4games to the schedule. Which could have the Voyageurs Cup start same time as the NASL season. MLS team would have an advantage there. But since there would be 8games(4home/away) to be played that would also mean one team gets to Pause at any given week. But that could be worked out too.

Once a 6th Team appears then I am not sure which would be best. 2groups of 3teams with the Winners of each Group going for the Final or 6teams playing 10games..........

As much as I love to see the possibility of having an FA Cup style of play we have to rmbr that even in the FA Cup format the TOP Teams do not enter until the 3rd Round of qualifying. Another issue to ponder is the Lack of infrastructure in many place in the country, as well as where is the Cut-Off between Amateurs, Semi-Pro and Pro. I mean even on this board we are sometimes having difficulty in agreeing which league represents what strenght.

David vs Goliath would sure be a nice story thou

Man, I wish I put this under one post. Oh well.

One last thing I would comment, what does Canada plan on doing if it ever gets two or even three berths at CONACAF? I'd hope they would at that point keep the existing Canadian championship and best MLS record, but that's another question I have to ask. Can the CSA rank a team based on how they fared in a US league when they determine said berth? Both MLS and NASL are technically US leagues.

Man, I wish I put this under one post. Oh well.

One last thing I would comment, what does Canada plan on doing if it ever gets two or even three berths at CONACAF? I'd hope they would at that point keep the existing Canadian championship and best MLS record, but that's another question I have to ask. Can the CSA rank a team based on how they fared in a US league when they determine said berth? Both MLS and NASL are technically US leagues.

The ONLY way Canada gets more Berth is if we "consistently" get out of the Group Stage, we Create our Own Canadian League( D2 like NASL) or another country has infrastructure issues and gets their Berth taken away from them. Now the last one has already happened (Belize) so the next step would be for Canadian teams to consistently get out of the Group Stage. Then after let say 5yrs they could ask for a review and the SemiFinalists would probably get the 2spots while the winner gets the Bragging Rights to the Voyageurs Trophey.

Yes the CSA can rank teams based on their Ranking in US leagues simply Because CANADA Does NOT HAVE A "Fully" Pro League on their own of D2 caliber or Higher. And yes MLS is higher ranked than NASL that is a fact.

If Canada did have a D2 League with say 8teams on Top of 3MLS everyone here would think they died and were in Heaven....lol

And then you could have 1berth for Voyageurs Cup(FA Cup style competition) and maybe 1berth for D2 league champion(Overall league standing not the playoof style please...)

There is of course a fifth, insane option that the article above suggests. Run it like the FA Cup. Everyone in MLS, NASL, CSL, PDL/PCSL gets a chance, but that's not likely. Keep in mind, most CSL teams play out of 2,000 seat stadiums and their PDL/PCSL counterparts sometimes are even smaller if you throw them into the mix. The amount of money you'd have to throw, flying people across country is crazy as well, unlike in all of Europe where you and load the team onto a bus and drive in the same country. Add the challenge trophy teams to that, and it becomes even more crazy.

Heck Ontario alone is about the size even the largest European countries (Russia doesn't count). It works in Europe because you can take a bus to your opponent. It would be great to see, but it's just not feasible unless the government severely steps up it's funding for the CSA. Now just having MLS, NASL and CSL teams is a bit more reasonable given that save for the Whitecaps and FC Edmonton all the teams are in bus distance in Ontario and Quebec (if they draw Vancouver or Edmonton, they redraw or the CSA can pick up that tab) but that's not really fair to the rest of the country given the CSL is an Ontario based league. That is unless the CSL expands (which it should into CHL like tiers in my opinion).

The CSL doesn't need to expand. There is already the Pacific Coast Soccer League (PCSL) and the Quebec Premier Soccer League (QPSL). The CSA just needs to rename the CSL to 'Ontario Soccer League' (OSL), create the umbrella of *New CSL* for all three leagues and there you go, we have our CHL-like league.

I'd like to see the winners of the above mentioned leagues play in a round robin tourney to determine the *New CSL* champion (A-la the CHL Memorial Cup). The winner gets a berth in the Canadian Championship and if they can't afford to be in the tournament then the runner up or 3rd place team goes. Eventually the potential for exposure in the Canadian Championship will get these teams sponsorship money that will allow them to attend.

Just to throw a wrench into all these "Canadian" options as to which format would be most suitable for the Amway Canadian Championship, what if an NASL team has a successful cup season (just like the MLS Toronto FC had this past year) and happens to win the ACC, but has a terrible season in the NASL (just like the MLS Toronto FC had this past year), should that NASL club not have the right to defend their ACC the following seasn?

Again, when it comes to seeding this tournament the CSA obviously still has not got it figured out, because the ACC matches themselves still are not included in the seeding process. Seeding for this type of tournament will never be without controversy and might therefore best be scrapped entirely. IMHO the 3 MLS clubs should receive an automatic bye to the quarter-final stage of the ACC, while other teams should battle for the remaining 5 quarter-final spots.

So many ideas, most of them will work. The side-goal of the Canadian Championship has to be to expose more Canadian players to top level competition. The idea of getting 2 CCL spots is great. One way to make that possible is to make sure the Voyageurs cup has 8 or more teams. Yes, I know it would mean dropping standards around stadiums, ownership and quality of players but it might expand the footprint in the minds of the fans and sponsors.

If a Canadian team makes it to the QF stage of the CCL, is it possible to give that team the bye regardless of their league ranking?

The CSA needs to figure out what to do with the teams in the "gap" between the Voyageurs Cup and the Challenge Trophy. 16 CSL-1, 12 CSL-2, 9 PDL and 5 Quebec PSL teams. (PCSL does get 1 spot in the BC Cup that leads to the Challenge Trophy) Not counting the "reserve" teams in the CSL-2 this year, you have 30 teams in the "gap" who don't play for a National championship. I'd love to see the CSA come up with a strategy to get these teams together in a league system or have the best get a shot at a spot for the Voyageurs Cup. When you glance at the FA's Cup, Trophy and Vase competitions, there is overlap. Bedlington Terriers played in both the Cup and the Vase last season. I'm guessing it added something to that small clubs season.

Just to throw a wrench into all these "Canadian" options as to which format would be most suitable for the Amway Canadian Championship, what if an NASL team has a successful cup season (just like the MLS Toronto FC had this past year) and happens to win the ACC, but has a terrible season in the NASL (just like the MLS Toronto FC had this past year), should that NASL club not have the right to defend their ACC the following seasn?

Again, when it comes to seeding this tournament the CSA obviously still has not got it figured out, because the ACC matches themselves still are not included in the seeding process. Seeding for this type of tournament will never be without controversy and might therefore best be scrapped entirely. IMHO the 3 MLS clubs should receive an automatic bye to the quarter-final stage of the ACC, while other teams should battle for the remaining 5 quarter-final spots.

Wouldn't a random draw solve the seeing problem?

Guest GoGreen

I'd even go as far as to say the winner of the Canadian National Championship get one of the berths into the ACC.

At the very least there needs to be a competition where top amateur sides can compete with top Professional sides. IMO the major difference between CSL sides and NASL, MLS sides is the $. I'd like to see how they compare against each other.

I'd even go as far as to say the winner of the Canadian National Championship get one of the berths into the ACC.

At the very least there needs to be a competition where top amateur sides can compete with top Professional sides. IMO the major difference between CSL sides and NASL, MLS sides is the $. I'd like to see how they compare against each other.

In history Upsets have and will happen. As in many cases bigger clubs are treating the league as the more important part. While the "cup" FA Cup for example is treated more relax where often(not always) backup keepers have a chance to play same with a few different players.

Regional qualifiers in Fall (West Coast, Ontario, Quebec/East Coast), maybe a mini knock out tourney between best teams of respective regions. The champions of each regional qualifier joins 3 MLS and 2 NASL (Edmonton and Ottawa once it gets going) teams. 3 MLS and 1 top ranked NASL team goes into Pot 1, lower ranked NASL teams plus 3 regional qualifiers goes into Pot 2.

One off knock out tourney.

CSA uses some of sponsorship money to assist cost of traveling for poor teams, with revenue sharing and prize money for making out of the regional qualifiers.

There has to be a lot of aggressive support for D3/D4 to make this happen.

Guest GoGreen
In history Upsets have and will happen. As in many cases bigger clubs are treating the league as the more important part. While the "cup" FA Cup for example is treated more relax where often(not always) backup keepers have a chance to play same with a few different players.

What's wrong with upsets? I understand making the league the qualifier as it's more important. But, Canada does not have it's own top flight league. I kind of feel like in order to be able to compete for a chance to represent Canada in the Concacaf Champions League, you need $40 million dollars+ (the MLS franchise fee). It's not really giving Canadian clubs a fair opportunity at competing for that spot. JMO

If we don't want to clog up the three MLS team's schedules any more than they are, all 3 could be given a bye to the semis, with Edmonton/Ottawa coming in two rounds earlier against the best of the rest of the Canadian teams. Personally I'd rather see the MLS teams come in earlier, but it could be a workable compromise and would end up being those 3 teams + either Edmonton or Ottawa (in all likelihood) in the semis.

I can see the CSA doing something similar but just having Edmonton/Ottawa play to see who gets to go to the semis.

Also, we already have an amateur national championship, just enter last year's Challenge Cup winner against the PDL and CSL teams in the early rounds and every club in Canada is represented.

What's wrong with upsets? I understand making the league the qualifier as it's more important. But, Canada does not have it's own top flight league. I kind of feel like in order to be able to compete for a chance to represent Canada in the Concacaf Champions League, you need $40 million dollars+ (the MLS franchise fee). It's not really giving Canadian clubs a fair opportunity at competing for that spot. JMO

Nothing is wrong with them, Au Contraire Mon Ami they are great for fans and for the Media. My point is that any club whishing to participate in the championship should have Infrastructure and be able to pay their way in the tournament. On the other hand Amway as a sponsor should cover some costs.

Wouldn't a random draw solve the seeing problem?

I agree wholeheartedly with you Saugan, this would by far and away be the most simple and fair system that the CSA could implement for the next Amway Canadian Championship.

The recent election of Victor Montagliani as president of the CSA, a man who himself has been a British Columbian provincial soccer champion, finally gives Canadian soccer enthusiasts some hope that the CSA might bring the amateur and professional clubs in Canada together through the ACC. It will be interesting to watch if that is the legacy that Vince wants to leave behind.

I love GoGreen's ideas that "the winner of the Canadian National Championship get one of the berths into the ACC," and that "at the very least there needs to be a competition where top amateur sides can compete with top Professional sides. IMO the major difference between CSL sides and NASL, MLS sides is the $. I'd like to see how they compare against each other."

Here is a breakdown of the ACC which would include all the highest levels of professional, semni pro and amateur mens football currently played in Canada. The 48 teams would come from the MLS(3), NASL(2), CSL(16), PCSL(8), PDL (9), CIS(2) and Challenge cup(8).

Teams would be ranked and the tourney would be played in six rounds to determine a champion and runner up.

Rankings:

1-3: MLS clubs 4-5: NASL clubs 6-7: Current CSL champion and runner up 8: PCSL champion

9: Current PCSL runner up 10-11: Current CIS champion and runner up 12: Highest ranked PDL club

13-14: Current Challenge cup winner and runner up 15-28: Remaining CSL clubs 29-34: Remaining PCSL clubs

35-42: Remaining PDL clubs 43-48: remaining Challenge cup teams

Playdowns(All rounds are two game total goals, away rules in effect in case of ties.)

Round one: Teams ranked 17-48 playoff. 16 winners advance to round two.

Round two: 16 winners from round one playoff, 8 winners advance to round three.

Round three: 8 winners playofff against teams ranked 9-16, 8 winners advance to round four.

Round four: 8 winners playoff against teams ranked 1-8, 8 winners advance to QF.

QF: 8 winners playoff, 4 winners advance to SF

SF: 4 winners playoff, 2 winners advance to ACC Finals.

Finals: 2 winners playoff, Winner advances to CCL group play.

Runner up advances to CCL preliminary round(hopefully reinstated and CCL increased to 32 clubs)

In the event MLS, NASL, CSL, PCSL, and PDL increases the number of Canadian clubs, the lowest ranking club would be dropped from the ACC keeping it a 48 team tourney.

I think having more teams in the Canadian Championship is actually the best way of growing the game and bringing more income to CSL clubs that probably struggle to earn money as it is. Giving these clubs a chance to play a team like Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto would be huge for them financially if they could split the gate revenue.

Heck, one of the CSL teams could probably beat TFC anyway :)

I think having more teams in the Canadian Championship is actually the best way of growing the game and bringing more income to CSL clubs that probably struggle to earn money as it is. Giving these clubs a chance to play a team like Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto would be huge for them financially if they could split the gate revenue.

Heck, one of the CSL teams could probably beat TFC anyway :)

That's the best 1st time post I've read on this forum yet. Welcome aboard Bill.

In the event that we do decide to make the CC larger (as per Yawassanay's post), we will have to move to a schedule that plays some or all of the torunament in the previous calendar year. There is too much potential for fixture congestion and far too many games to be played in less than ideal weather (March/April) to fit the whole tourney in before the CCL starts. That means that we would face a crossroads as to how it would be played out going forward.

Option 1 - All games are played in the previous year

To ensure we have a champion in place for the CCL tournament, the 2012 representative from Canada will de determined in the 2011 Canadian Championship. The tournament can run from April to September/October and the winner plays in the CCL the following summer.

How This Plays Out:

In 2013, tournament is played throughout the year, teams are seeded based on 2012 results (league/tournaments/previous CC/whatever). The Champion will go on to represent Canada in the 2014 CCL

The benefits is that the tournament runs in line with our regular season calendar and provides entertainment late in the season for all teams. The downside is that you could have issues with teams choosing between playoffs/leage cups and the CC. Squad depth will be a necessity for any team playing in league playoffs, CC and CCL at the same time. Also, there will be quite the lag on a team that qualifies and represents canada in the CCL (ie. 2012 USL champ qualifies, wins 2013 CC, plays in 2014 CCL). Teams that qualify for either tournament will be able to 'beef up' roster for next years run. In order to get it started as early as possible, we would need two tournaments run at the same time, one in the current format (for 2013 CCL reps,) and the 2013 tournament (for 2014 reps). You would only need to do this once and going forward would run on new schedule.

Option 2 - Preliminary rounds played in previous year, final rounds played in current year

To the top flight teams, there would be no change for them, they still play the 4-8 team tournament in March to May.

The preliminary rounds would be played the previous calendar year and would be seeded into finals accordingly

How This Plays Out

In 2013, 4 team tournament finals are played to determine 2013 champion (April-May) and representative for 2013 CCL. The preliminary rounds for the 2014 start up shortly after.

This method moves the most important games to early in the season (finals in April-May), away from other critical games (CCL, playoffs). There would be discontinuity from one season to another for lower league teams, and does not provide a dramatic run-up throughout the season and (I feel) treats prelimiary rounds as less important with the focus not coming on until the next year. This method is easiest to work into our existing system, and could have started as early as this year.

My preference is for Option 1, but the logistics of it make it a pain in the ass. I could see us using Option 2 initially and then one season do a shift over to Option 1 with minimal repercussions.

TL;DR - lots to think about if we want this tournament to grow larger. And I should get back to work.

I think the ACC should start in the spring and the first three rounds be concluded by mid April...Late April is when the NASL and MLS clubs enter in the 4th round and the final would be concluded by the first week of June...earlier or after the season too many clubs have finished or not yet begun their seasons by that time....in the end it will be MLS clubs fighting for the title but the overall point of an all inclusive ACC is to gain more exposure and experience for non-pro clubs here in smaller centres...there will be many surprises with new talent being discovered, increased interest in all leagues and possibly more or new revenues and sponsorships..the costs may be great for smaller clubs to travel but ACC and CSA should cost share to ensure there are no cancellations or walk overs

Archived