Opening Day at the WWC Berlin

Trillium

Lots of young german fans.... at the game many females dressed with soccer like apparel, that is leggins, then soccer shorts, then... national team Jerseys, face paint German rabbit ears ..etc. I really liked how it was very very much a National team crowd, there were banners but they were supporting national team not club teams ... very few people had on anything that was not national team german, including many older ladies etc.

The men who attended all seemed pretty aware of female players and were into the game.

Ran into one set of parents of a player Marie Eve Nault before the game..nice to be able to chat for a few moments it was great she was able to be in the game later.

Stadium is lovely you step down into it a feature I really like.

Fan Zone outside was typically some games to play shoot the ball to win tickets etc.. Sony had a display etc. oh and most relevant the " German National Fan Club" had its own display ..and was selling specific supporter group flags to fans.. so something for the CSA to figure out how that happens and then come to approach the Voyagerurs and tell the V's how this will be done for WWC 2015, since its clear FIFA allows it.

Saw a group of people in red with Canada flags and tee shirts saying Canada on them specially done up for the match, by ..you guessed it the Local Organizing Ctte. these were the faux Canadians who were given tickets in a special area of the stadium to watch the game and cheer or at least provide a visual for Canada support.

Meanwhile Canadian supporters were left to buy tickets in random places in the stadia... Dear Dominque.. please explain why the CSA did nothing to have know about this and gotten a block of tickets we could have populated with real Canadians ?

Opening dance sequences on field were fine nothing really special, but we in Canada will have to up our game in 2015, we can do much much better.

Other random thoughts.. there were brasilian samba drums outside the stadia being played on stage and Capoiera groups... it seems this is now the rule for FIFA soccer that somehow Culture Popular of Brazil is the culture norm at soccer events... sorry not in my mind.

There was a German Brass band of girls playing also and they frankly were great... in red vests and red leather boots.

Lots of beer and food vendors in the huge forecourt of the stadium beer sales in stadium and lots of police presence but police were friendly moving in large groups to and fro, I cant believe they had anything to handle at all, lots of firetrucks .... outside the game stadium just in case the fireman perched on top of the trucks.

Some of us Canadians hit the beer haus before the match then after.. good cold beer cheap food friendly fans especially after the game pins were given and other FIFA swag handed out by one gentleman to some Canadian supporters.... most important a group of five or so younger German female fans joined the group of male canadian fans and rounds were bought and addresses exchanged and lots of making friendships began.

Germans do like to party... but you have to warm them up...there were lots of groups singing... songs just randomingly on the train coming in and around the stadia ... fun.

So opening event outside stadia ..mmmm 7 on 10, inside maybe 6.5 ... we can do better in 2015 at the opening match in Ottawa and the closing one in Edmonton.

I agree the most important question - did you bring poutine to Germany?

I believe poutine is an illegal substance. It's rich goodness shall remain within the borders that try to hold it.

That said, when in rome...

Therefore as a once-resident Berliner (not the donut, as JFK once said), I shall point you towards the currywurst and doner kebaps. Throw in a bouletten or two, and wash it down with a Berliner Pils.

I agree the most important question - did you bring poutine to Germany?

As soon as someone from Toronto turns up ... poutine will be made available, since my confederates were from Edmonton we all basically went for the bar bq meat on offer, Berlin had great food... I am going to do post about Bochum....

As soon as someone from Toronto turns up ... poutine will be made available, since my confederates were from Edmonton we all basically went for the bar bq meat on offer, Berlin had great food... I am going to do post about Bochum....

Both Irving and I were/are from Toronto...

However, you might be able to find poutine at KaDeWe. They do have maple syrup and ice wine from Canada.

Archived