Canadian Women's Club News

Vic

Caps: 22

Fury: 14

Amiral: 14

Comètes: 4

Season begins in 11 days. No idea about any other rosters. Highlanders play the Sounders Saturday and have to rebound with the Caps opener Sunday. That's going to be ugly.

red denotes a known Canadian.

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS

RETURNEES

(G) Kristen Funk

(D) Erin Uchacz

(D) Shannon Woeller

(M) Monica Lam-Feist

(M) Amy Vermeulen

(M) Ranee Premj

(M) Nicole Setterlund

(F) Julie Armstrong - Prospects

(F) Abigail Raymer

(F) Jenna Richardson - Prospects

ADDITIONS

(G) Erin McNulty - Hudson Valley Quickstrike

(D) Nikki Ambrose - Whitecaps Prospects U18

(D) Erica Campanelli - Hudson Valley Quickstrike ©

(D) Malloree Enoch - Saint Leo U

(D) Ciara McCormack - Donn

(D) Lexi Marton - Toronto Lady Lynx

(D) Jaclyn Sawicki - Whitecaps Prospects U18

(M) Amber Brooks - USA U23/UNC

(M) Kelsey Hood - FK Donn

(M) Krista Kruse - UMIssouri

(M) Katie Turney - Whitecaps Prospects U18

(F) Alysha Bonnick - UMIssouri

(F) Sydney Leroux - USA U20/UCLA

(F) Carrie Patterson - WPS Philadelphia Independence

(F) Tseng Shu-O - Taipei

(F) Tiffany Weimer - WPS Boston Breakers/ AIK Sweden

(F) Nahiomy Ortiz - Canada U20, Victoria Stars, PCSL

(F) Tina Romagnuolo

(F) Jen Stoltenberg - UOregon

OTTAWA FURY

RETURNEES

(G) Jasmine Phillips

(D) Casey Ramirez

(M) Melissa Busque

(M) Shay Eskridge

(M) Alyssa Lagonia

(M) Courtney Wetzel

(F) Christina Julien

ADDITIONS

(D) Colleen Deegan - University of Maryland

(D) Amanda Fancher- University of Virginia

(M) Lydia Hastings - University of Maryland

(M) Teresa Rynier - James Madison University

(M) Julie Hubbard - Penn State

(M) Jennifer Skogerboe - UConn

(F) Jessica Shufelt - UConn

LAVAL COMETES

(G) Cynthia Leblanc

(D) Vanessa Legault Cordisco

(D) Kathryn Acton

(M) Constance De Chantal Dumont

AMIRAL DE QUEBEC

(G) Marie-Pier Bilodeau

(G) Sarah Boucher

(D) Stéphanie Frenette-Blais

(D) Myriam Bouchard

(D) Christina Di Ielsi

(D) Frédérique Paradis

(D) Mélissa Roy

(D) Marie-Claude Villeneuve

(M) Geneviève Caron

(M) Laura Chenard

(M) Andréanne Gagné

(F) Josée Bélanger

(F) Léa Chastenay-Joseph

(F) Véronique Laverdière

(F) Melissa Lesage

(F) Geneviève Marcotte

TORONTO LADY LYNX

HAMILTON AVALANCHE

LONDON GRYPHONS

VICTORIA HIGHLANDERS

(G) Gurveen Clair

(G) Tanya Jones

(G) Stephanie Parker

(D) Nicole Bates-Eamer

(D) Nellana Kurylo

(D) Cara McLeod

(M) Shayla Behrens

(M) Stephanie Davidson

(M) Mallory Hackett

(M) Mariel Solsberg

(M) Molly Stone

(F) Kendra Flock

(F) Liz Hansen

(F) Ashley Porter

(F) Paige Scott

(F) Janelle Smith

Mallory Hackett

Nellanna Kurylo

Tanya Jones

Jackie Snell

Noelle Sylvester

Sarah Douglas

Amelie Mercier

Jackie Harrison

Jana Yates

Nathalie Scharf

Jenny Large

Keara Thompson

• 3 weeks later...

Whitecaps add another five to get close to 30. Too bad they can't field a couple of teams.

List above updated.

I'm not sure the minimum number of league games required to play in the playoffs, but wouldn't an injured player like Bélanger (who turns a quarter of a century on Saturday) or a national player like Julien be more of a wildcard than a roster player? The only way national players can hit your roster is if Canada is eliminated early in Germany, and then it would be just the last week or two in July if they decide to come back straight away.

Season opens this weekend.

This is nice work Vic. Minor corrections: Jenna Richardson and Julie Armstrong are both Whitecaps FC returnees, not additions. Also you have Lexi Marton as a returnee but Erin McNutly and Sydney Leroux as additions. All three previously played for the club, just not last season (Marton and McNulty in 2008 and Leroux in 2005).

Alan/Richard, don't know what's more surprising, the scoreline at Bear Mountain last night or Tina Romagnuolo playing half when the Fury announced she was playing for them. Any clues on either?

I don't really know the particulars of Romagnuolo coming here. She played for the 'Caps in 2008, and coach Busby is establishing a good program.

I was at the game in Victoria. You were expecting a blowout? 2-0 on the road in the first game isn't a bad result, and Victoria aren't a bad side. Besides 8 players have yet to join the 'Caps from college, 2 are on international duty, 4 are injured (Ambrose gone for the season), and of those that played, 5 had only joined the team in the past few days.

It's early days yet.

I don't really know the particulars of Romagnuolo coming here. She played for the 'Caps in 2008, and coach Busby is establishing a good program.

I was at the game in Victoria. You were expecting a blowout? 2-0 on the road in the first game isn't a bad result, and Victoria aren't a bad side. Besides 8 players have yet to join the 'Caps from college, 2 are on international duty, 4 are injured (Ambrose gone for the season), and of those that played, 5 had only joined the team in the past few days.

It's early days yet.

The Whitecaps played well and dominated in spite of missing some starters. As to the Highlanders, I don't know what Dave Dew sees on Liz Hansen. She may have been a goal scorer in amateur soccer, but at this level she was totally useless in front of the Sounders and the Whitecaps. On the other hand, I highly recommend Mariel Solsberg of the Highlanders to be seen by Morace.

Really happy you both got to see them play, pretty jealous too. There is also no better or cooler way to travel to a game than a ferry.

You just can't have 30 players of that quality and not hit the fast lane at a 150mph. There's no doubt in anyone's mind. And yes it's early days but considering the Whitecaps had 7 imports on the field and I imagine the Highlanders have a pretty much island roster, that would be a moral victory of sorts for them and build on their good start against the Sounders (who tied Pali on points last year).

Would it ever be great if the Caps could stream some of the women's games.

I know Alan. They have all the privileges of Canadian society except one. In the soccer world they're not Canadian any longer.

Bullcrap. I find that attitude deeply offensive. They are born in Vancouver and Canadian citizens. In Canadian club soccer they are non-import domestic players, and recognized as such by the club, league, BCSA, CSA, CONCACAF, and FIFA.

Somebody doesn't stop being a Canadian because you dislike their career choices.

There are Canadians on this board who live, work or go to school in other countries. They pay taxes in other countries. Go to soccer games in other countries. Raise their family in other countries. Even cheer for other countries at the World Cup.

Nobody here gives them **** about them not being Canadian. And rightly so. People have a right to live their lives as they choose, and it's nobody's business but their own. You seem able to understand that when it comes to fellow fans. Why aren't players afforded the same consideration?

Somebody doesn't stop being a Canadian because you dislike their career choices.

There are Canadians on this board who live, work or go to school in other countries. They pay taxes in other countries. Go to soccer games in other countries. Raise their family in other countries. Even cheer for other countries at the World Cup.

Nobody here gives them **** about them not being Canadian.

What? Which board have you been reading?

There's plenty of **** being tossed about for cheering on other countries OVER Canada. Lots of moaning about friendlies on Canadian soil being filled by fans of the visitors (all who live in Canada, many who are born in Canada). This is the Voyageurs discussion forum, dedicated to the discussion of the CANADIAN NATIONAL SOCCER TEAMS.

As to career choices, we see Atiba Hutchinson playing in Holland, but he chooses to represent Canada. We see Josh Simpson playing in England, but he chooses to represent Canada. We see Sydney Leroux... she chooses to represent another country. She renounced our nation. Why should we go easy on her?

Would you defend Teal Bunbury as vigorously?

Teal was born in Canada. He is Canadian. He has a right to choose how he lives his life, and to decide what is best for his career.

Let me spin that back at you. How do you feel about Alex Bunbury? He is Teal's father, so he obviously has influence. Do you think he supports his son's decision? As far as I know, Alex hasn't disowned his son or called him a whore. Does that tarnish his reputation as one of Canada's all-time greatest players?

If we take him at his word that he was encouraging Teal to suit up for us, I see no tarnish there. (Actually, as one of Canada's all-time greatest players, he's judged only as how he played as a Canadian. As a person - a father - only those who know him can judge)

We don't get to lay claim to Teal (or the others) as fellow citizens, they choose their nationality for themselves. (That's the whole point of immigration, isn't it?) They are not Canadian anymore. Deeds speak.

There's plenty of **** being tossed about for cheering on other countries OVER Canada.

So people on this board have been called non-Canadians because they cheered for other countries at the World Cup? I was cheering for Argentina, so I guess that makes me non-Canadian too. Wow, you folks are even more petty and self-righteous than I thought. :-P

Sitting at a Canada game surrounded by ten thousand Canadian-[insert country here]'s cheering against us is never well received by Canadian supporters.

There's no malice here. Leroux is a strongwilled, determined and massive opponent. Ciara McCormack is energetic, smart, gutsy, wants to change the world for the better and we could use a lot more like her. She's a good example of a positive citizen in the game. But in the soccer world she's deemed Irish. That wasn't marked on her at birth - it was self-chosen. And as I said, the one single price on that is her soccer nationality. I doubt she'd argue that herself.

Not sure why but I always get Alex Bunbury and Justin Fashanu confused. You would think between orientation and pulse I'd sort it out but never have. Probably back to the 90/91 years they were with the Blizzard. Wonderful players. Never seen the kid live but he sure has the genes.

So people on this board have been called non-Canadians because they cheered for other countries at the World Cup? I was cheering for Argentina, so I guess that makes me non-Canadian too. Wow, you folks are even more petty and self-righteous than I thought. :-P

Did you miss the "OVER CANADA" part? Since Canada wasn't in the World Cup, cheering for Argentina in the World Cup wouldn't have put you in "anti-Canadian" camp, now would it?

C'mon, Alan, let's not be too selective in our reading here.

BTW, if you were cheering for Argentina AGAINST Canada, I think that's the very definition of being non-Canadian for the purposes of this board (and for soccer in general). There's nothing righteous or petty about that, it's a statement of fact. You choose your nationality, you don't get to claim another at the same time.

At least, that's the soccer view. We know that for life in Canada the immigrant experience is always less clear than that... But that's not what we're talking about. As Vic said back in post 11, "In the soccer world they're not Canadian any longer. "

The Lynx join the Western teams in action this weekend.

Highlanders at Pali tonight, Santa Clarita Sunday night. Caps at home to Sounders Sunday at 4:00ppm. Toronto home opener Sunday at 1:00pm at the OSA.

Wednesday afternoon at 2:00pm it's Hamilton in Toronto at Centennial followed by Colorado (the Rush team) in Vancouver at night.

Friday night Colorado plays the Caps at Exhibition, and on Saturday Laval and Ottawa kickoff. Laval travel to London at 1:00pm at North London, and the Fury plays in Rochester at 3:00pm. Sunday Laval's at Centennial at 1:00pm against the Lynch and Ottawa's in Hamilton at 2:00pm. The 24 hour turnarounds never make it easy if you don't like to or can't go to the bench. I've noticed the Caps never face one, not sure if that was luck of the draw or requested and granted.

Quebec opens their season in London the following weekend, a full three weeks after the Highlanders got things rolling.

If anyone catches any of the games and can fill in any of the missing rosters you get a gold medal. Throw in a mobile phone snap or two and your name goes to the Vatican.

Lynx roster added. Presuming they're all Canadians.

red denotes a known Canadian.

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS

RETURNEES

(G) Kristen Funk

(D) Erin Uchacz

(D) Shannon Woeller

(M) Monica Lam-Feist

(M) Amy Vermeulen

(M) Ranee Premj

(M) Nicole Setterlund

(F) Julie Armstrong - Prospects

(F) Abigail Raymer