2011 CSL Format

The CSL continues to go about business, quietly. There was an announcement on Saturday that KW United FC will indeed be playing in the CSL ... Second Division. The Reserve Division is being renamed and split into an East and West. Taking a quick peek at the standings (because there are no other teams lists) tells a story also. KW is not listed in the single table, yet. Niagara Falls Reserve is listed in the 13 teams. The article announcing KW also suggests there will be 15 teams in the Second Division.

I wish we knew more about the behind the scenes of soccer clubs in Ontario. The process is getting muddier all the time. More teams playing at a higher / provincial / regional level can't be bad .... right?

The CSL continues to go about business, quietly. There was an announcement on Saturday that KW United FC will indeed be playing in the CSL ... Second Division. The Reserve Division is being renamed and split into an East and West. Taking a quick peek at the standings (because there are no other teams lists) tells a story also. KW is not listed in the single table, yet. Niagara Falls Reserve is listed in the 13 teams. The article announcing KW also suggests there will be 15 teams in the Second Division.

I wish we knew more about the behind the scenes of soccer clubs in Ontario. The process is getting muddier all the time. More teams playing at a higher / provincial / regional level can't be bad .... right?

In fact it can be very bad... your falling into the trap that ruins soccer in Canada... too many youth teams playing "competitive" and now your going to have too many "pro" teams playing at a level they are not at, there should be less teams not more and the players should be moving to a club that can develop the player.

Just having more teams does not improve the game.

Guest GoGreen
In fact it can be very bad... your falling into the trap that ruins soccer in Canada... too many youth teams playing "competitive" and now your going to have too many "pro" teams playing at a level they are not at, there should be less teams not more and the players should be moving to a club that can develop the player.

Just having more teams does not improve the game.

I get your point. But also having a club in that area at the CSL level, the idea would be for players to eventually get to that level which they cannot do playing in an inferior league. If that means they import players until the KW area has players of that standard, than so be it.

I believe it also says they will be playing out of the Second division which is not a bad idea, as teams aspiring to play CSL can get things in order.

@GoGreen - it does make a lot of sense to have teams start in a lower division. The CSL history is littered with teams that would have been fine if they had to work their way up the "ladder"; either by performance and / or financial commitments. Mississauga Eagles, Caribbean Selects, Ottawa Wizards, 2 franchises in Durham and Windsor all may have benefited from a 2nd Division.

Ties to some of the top senior league in the province may have helped the public make that connection. For example, if the Ottawa franchise was the winner of the OCSL from last year the connection could be made for other clubs to push to that level. If they don't perform, the get sent back down.

@Trillium - I understand that you don't want the talent diluted and by having more teams you are thinking it washes out the player pool. How about the ownership side; I'm guessing we agree that we want more money involved in soccer. One way to do that is allow every "Daddy Warbucks" the chance to invest in the game. The CSL has recently turned owners away because they were affiliated with an "ethnic social club". At least that is the reason on the press release. By having a D2 the potential owner gets a chance to prove his or herself in a way that still helps out some players. The answer, for me, is in the structure of the league. After all, Milltown and Hamilton Croatia have both left due to league "structure", off field structure it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this was already mentioned but the CSL website indicates Niagara United SC is joining the reserve division which is to be renamed the 2nd division.

link

Probably a future rival to St. Catharines Wolves at the top level.

All this expansion might help the CSL head off a potential rival in the form of the proposed ON/QC league seeking OSA sanctioning. Interesting times.

Guest GoGreen

Any word on what Milltown and Hamilton Croatia's plans are for 2011? Assuming that breakaway league will not start until 2012

Any word on what Milltown and Hamilton Croatia's plans are for 2011? Assuming that breakaway league will not start until 2012

I really wish they could do some sort of crazy, 'quick fix, okay your in for 2011' cause it seems like a serious waste to have two decent teams languish this year, but it probably won't happen considering the schedual should be out soon.

I really wish they could do some sort of crazy, 'quick fix, okay your in for 2011' cause it seems like a serious waste to have two decent teams languish this year, but it probably won't happen considering the schedule should be out soon.

I am not sure what could have prompt both organizations to leave the league because both were very good teams, had some talented lads and did pretty good in the league. For now I believe both teams will lay low and play in the OSL as well travel to showcase tournaments. I hope they will both be back for 2012.

• 1 month later...

Archived