WCQ in Moncton

whale_31

With the CFL again announcing touchdown atlantic for Moncton this coming fall (September 25th), I wonder if the CSA could piggyback on this to host a WCQ or two during on of the International Dates.

The two closest, September 3-7 and October 8-12 could work by either setting up the bleachers before or leaving them after the event for WCQ game (s).

Thoughts?

I don't see it happening. There's a lot of stereo typing to break down. Moncton is the 6th fastest growing Metro area in Canada and only after Toronto and Montreal in the east. But when you're this small it doesn't take much for big percentages.

To crack the big 6 or 8 cities for WCQ games is a big ask.

I think the CSA might try lesser events 1st to see if it'd work.

Moncton tends not to spend allot bidding on events that the city has little chance.

But then again CSA was in Moncton in Oct last year inspecting not only the Stadium but practice facilities and encouraged the city to bid in the Women's WC.

I just think that Moncton has more to over come than facilities but attitudes.

Women's World Cup announcement on CSA's site:

In November 2010, the Association welcomed participants to bid information sessions to provide information for potential host cities of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™. In total, seven Candidate Bid Cities were able to commit to being included within the bid submission: Vancouver, BC, Edmonton, AB, Winnipeg, MB, Ottawa, ON, Montréal, QC, Halifax, NS and Moncton, NB. The Canadian Soccer Association formally submitted its Bid Book to FIFA on 11 February, 2011 after working closely with all levels of government and the Candidate Bid Cities to prepare the bid documents.

Also note that CSA is preparing to bring FIFA over to inspect the sites in the fall.

From all the feedback people are posting regarding Halifax's opposition to stadium construction, is there any question that the sixth city will be Moncton? Unless Victoria pops up out of nowhere I can't see Moncton not getting it.

From all the feedback people are posting regarding Halifax's opposition to stadium construction, is there any question that the sixth city will be Moncton? Unless Victoria pops up out of nowhere I can't see Moncton not getting it.

Being a Monctonian

Until I see it I won't believe it..........

Too many Upper Canadian and Western people to appease.

The IF YOU BUILD IT..THEY WILL COME.

Only works in movies

I can't imagine Halifax getting their act together and getting a stadium built in time for 2014 and the U20 woman. And if they do and the stadium is not in the downtown core, it loses all it's allure to me. Outside of the downtown core, Halifax is no different then Moncton.

With the CFL again announcing touchdown atlantic for Moncton this coming fall (September 25th), I wonder if the CSA could piggyback on this to host a WCQ or two during on of the International Dates.

The two closest, September 3-7 and October 8-12 could work by either setting up the bleachers before or leaving them after the event for WCQ game (s).

Thoughts?

If it were to happen it should definitely be on the September dates before the CFL gridiron lines get painted on the field. It seems like an excellent idea to take advantage of the additional temp seating.

Archived