TFC impressed with Aleman

canucklefan

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/tfc-calls-keven-aleman-camp

"Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter is rewarding midfielder Keven Aleman for his outstanding performances for Canada in the CONCACAF Under 17 Championship by inviting him to join the team in Charleston for the final stage of preseason training."

He looked fantastic before the finals and had a couple of moments then as well. I heard somewhere he is eligible to play for Costa Rica(?) Is this true and is there any concern?

He looked fantastic before the finals and had a couple of moments then as well. I heard somewhere he is eligible to play for Costa Rica(?) Is this true and is there any concern?

Apparently he rocked the Canadian flag pretty hard after the WC qualification. I don't think he's thinking about Costa Rica.

A cynic would note how highlighting this story on the official website helps to deflect attention from the loss to Orlando City. :) Difficult one for TFC. If he's seen as a top prospect it's best to get him signed on a pro contract ASAP rather than risking losing him to a club outside MLS once he turns 18 but from the point of view of his development the U18 Academy team mixed with reserve team callups is probably the better option right now.

Yes, he was born in Costa Rica so he is eligible for them...though as noted above he was pretty hyped after qualifying for the WC.

Article states he turns 17 next month, guess this clarifies the conflicting birth dates i had seen, one stating he was a '94 and the other that he was a '95.

Should be noted that Costa Rican clubs (such as Saprissa, Alajuelense) would be able to offer him a pro contract before his 18th bday, but there's thankfully more money to be made at TFC so i doubt we'll see him leave.

Yes, he was born in Costa Rica so he is eligible for them...though as noted above he was pretty hyped after qualifying for the WC.

Article states he turns 17 next month, guess this clarifies the conflicting birth dates i had seen, one stating he was a '94 and the other that he was a '95.

Should be noted that Costa Rican clubs (such as Saprissa, Alajuelense) would be able to offer him a pro contract before his 18th bday, but there's thankfully more money to be made at TFC so i doubt we'll see him leave.

Thanks for the info. I had not seen him play prior to this tournament. He looks like he's going to be a star.

Archived