Caps Picks & Current Starting 11

tmcmurph

So the expansion draft is over and the Caps picked a 6 young 20-25 year olds, one good backup keeper (I still think Nolly is the starter), a couple of defenders and 3 forwards.

21 Mid Sanna Nyassi - Gone for int

25 F/M Atiba Harris

23 Def Nathan Sturgis

24 Mid Shea Salinas

29 Fwd Alan Gordon - Gone for int

24 Fwd O'Brian White - Gone $$

31 Fwd Alejandro Moreno - Gone $$

35 Kpr Joe Cannon

25 Def Jonathan Leathers

31 Mid John Thorrington

So 2-5 players might be here next year. We'll see how the next draft goes and how many more we pick up. I think we will add some depth with most of these but only Harris and Nyassi will be starters.

So who are your starting 11 going to be as we sit now given their current roster and draft picks?

My current starting 11:

Nolly

Knight, Akloul, Demerrit, Rochat

Harris, Khalfan, Chiumiento, Dunfield, Nyassi

Stewart

That would be my picks for a 4-5-1 with any 2 of the mids jumping up to make it a 4-3-3 or one mid and one defender on the overlap (3-4-3).

Going to be lots of competition come training camp in the spring. Especially at the forward position with Salgado sure to be our first pick.

PS. I am surprised that they didn't get Nkufo but at 35 he isn't a keeper.

Stewart won't be a starter, I don't have faith in his abilities to pull something out of nothing in MLS. I still firmly believe the Caps are going to sign a DP striker, or perhaps even a pair of DP strikers. I also see them signing a DP attacking midfielder.

I do see Nolly starting in goal, with Knight, Akloul, Demerrit, and Rochat in D. The mid and the strikers are up in the air still.

Stewart won't be a starter, I don't have faith in his abilities to pull something out of nothing in MLS. I still firmly believe the Caps are going to sign a DP striker, or perhaps even a pair of DP strikers. I also see them signing a DP attacking midfielder.

I do see Nolly starting in goal, with Knight, Akloul, Demerrit, and Rochat in D. The mid and the strikers are up in the air still.

Out of our current strikers Stewart is the best. Quick and very good at holding onto the ball. He can threaten to go past the defense and then drag the ball sideways until the mids catch up. He doesn't have a lot of size but fast (not as fast as REB) and good at holding onto the ball.

Current 11:

-------------Cannon-------------

Sturgis---Akloul---Demerit--Rochat

Nyassi--Dunfield-Chiumiento-Stewart

---------Gordon---Harris-----------

Didn't Stewart play on the wing at some point for you guys? Take advantage of his speed on the wings..Harris and Gordon are probably your best bets at forward. Cannon is an MLS goalie, Nolly is a backup.

edit: And as i write this Gordon gets traded!

Current 11:

Didn't Stewart play on the wing at some point for you guys? Take advantage of his speed on the wings..Harris and Gordon are probably your best bets at forward. Cannon is an MLS goalie, Nolly is a backup.

I agree Cannon will probably get the nod at the start, but I believe Nolly will be the number one by the mid point in the season.

I like Sturgis in the back 4, Nyassi and Gordon are gone.

Harris will be out on the wing.

I gotta say quite happy with the 6 players we got through this draft in Harris, Cannon, Sturgis, Leathers, Thorrington, and Salinas.

and we seem to turn OBW, Moreno, Nyassi and Gordon into good use, though Gordon and Nyassi would of be nice to see in the mix for the club, gotta love his explosiveness off the wing, doesn't just have speed knows how to use it.

From what I understand it's like basically trading cap space essentially, teams are granted so much from my understanding due to players lost and poor performance, which then dictates how much is given and it's a tradable assest.

To be honest not 100% sure how it works. To me it's seems like a soft cap sorta thing so teams can actually have different cap numbers within a certain bracket of X dollars.

I think it's so teams that aren't spending to the cap can use there extra space as a literal asset and not just wasted space. I may be wrong though.

So the expansion draft is over and the Caps picked a 6 young 20-25 year olds, one good backup keeper (I still think Nolly is the starter), a couple of defenders and 3 forwards.

21 Mid Sanna Nyassi

25 F/M Atiba Harris

23 Def Nathan Sturgis

24 Mid Shea Salinas

29 Fwd Alan Gordon

24 Fwd O'Brian White

31 Fwd Alejandro Moreno

35 Kpr Joe Cannon

25 Def Jonathan Leathers

31 Mid John Thorrington

So 2-5 players might be here next year. We'll see how the next draft goes and how many more we pick up. I think we will add some depth with most of these but only Harris and Nyassi will be starters.

So who are your starting 11 going to be as we sit now given their current roster and draft picks?

My current starting 11:

Nolly

Knight, Akloul, Demerrit, Rochat

Harris, Khalfan, Chiumiento, Dunfield, Nyassi

Stewart

That would be my picks for a 4-5-1 with any 2 of the mids jumping up to make it a 4-3-3 or one mid and one defender on the overlap (3-4-3).

Going to be lots of competition come training camp in the spring. Especially at the forward position with Salgado sure to be our first pick.

PS. I am surprised that they didn't get Nkufo but at 35 he isn't a keeper.

So many trades!

Of the original 10 here is what is left the night of the draft!

21 Mid Sanna Nyassi to Colorado Rapids for an international player spot

25 F/M Atiba Harris

23 Def Nathan Sturgis

24 Mid Shea Salinas

29 Fwd Alan Gordon to Chivas USA for another international player spot

24 Fwd O'Brian White to Seattle Sounders FC for allocation money

31 Fwd Alejandro Moreno to Chivas USA for allocation money

35 Kpr Joe Cannon

25 Def Jonathan Leathers

31 Mid John Thorrington

So this leaves me verry curious! On whom will the caps use this allocation money and the international spot?

I have a feeling we're not finished wheeling and dealing our expansion pics yet.

Nolly & Cannon make an excellent 1 / 2 in net, but I have a feeling Cannon will be traded - he's a valuable asset, but an extraneous one.

Nolly is a competitively comparable keeper with a lower salary and the added advantage of history with TT.

My guess is that Salinas, Sturgis and Harris are still on the roster by MLS first kick, and the rest will be elsewhere.

I have a feeling we're not finished wheeling and dealing our expansion pics yet.

Nolly & Cannon make an excellent 1 / 2 in net, but I have a feeling Cannon will be traded - he's a valuable asset, but an extraneous one.

Nolly is a competitively comparable keeper with a lower salary and the added advantage of history with TT.

My guess is that Salinas, Sturgis and Harris are still on the roster by MLS first kick, and the rest will be elsewhere.

I have the same feeling, those 3 seem to fit the puzzle perfect, Leathers and Thorrington seem to be outnumbered by better players in there spots at camp.

Cannon's situation may take longer to unfold, but your right when the peices finally fall and it comes down to us choosing one or another Nolly is the logical choice as there comparable but he's cheaper and more of a familar face for TT.

All in all good day for Vancouver, I think we've seen again a well thought out and planned approach to player dealings. It would seem us Caps fans will have a few more surprises coming our way though. Exciting and intriguing times.

I think Harris is gonna be a huge pickup, could be the Le Toux of the draft. Over 120 games in the MLS and only 25, can get forward and is good on crosses into the box.

Current 11:

Yes Stewart is very versatile and can be great on the wing. I just see him more as a striker. You and me both. Nyassi gone! Didn't see that one coming. So much for my starting 11. Nolly for starting keeper but Cannon will get at least 10 games (NCC, etc). Keep both. That position is vital for any team and having 2 solid keepers is not a luxury, it is a necessity.

Archived