TFC struggles on TV

bgnewf

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which is fine, but as long as people are willing not to be pretentious about it. There are a lot of people who will need explenations, and they will not want it doused in snobbery first.

That goes both ways.

Some here are being real pricks about the fact that domestic soccer broadcasts are not doused in "Canadiana" and don't sound exactly like Hockey Night in Canada.

That goes both ways.

Some here are being real pricks about the fact that domestic soccer broadcasts are not doused in "Canadiana" and don't sound exactly like Hockey Night in Canada.

I really hope you weren't referring to me because I have been trying really hard not to hide under a bridge anymore and demand payment for passage.

That goes both ways.

Not being an arse about it. I would just like to see Canadian domestic soccer take off as a TV sport.

I believe not sounding Canadian leaves a lot feeling the game is a foreign game not thier game. Before we can enter the World game we have to believe that it is our game, that's all. Nothing against Nigel but maybe in the wrong job at the wrong time.

Hell, wouldn't that be terrible if Soccer Night in Canada happened with Impact and Whitecaps entering the league. Sit down after a late supper on the East Coast, turn on the TV and watch domestic soccer untill after midnight. Pre-game show, complete league hi-lites, fantasy league reports, league rumours round table, player interviews, beating to death where players played youth/academy for interest beyond the 3 teams, a Don Cherry or Dave Madden kinda guy getting folk riled up because he's over the top........his schtick........., player interviews, post game show. Millions of viewers, advertisers paying top $. Complete webcast of the games live and archived. Broadcasters bidding against each other for games and nights. You're right why would any Canadian soccer fan want that?

Don't you think that somehow the domestic game has to be presented as our game so we can become part of the world game. Not left thinking that it's a foreign game because of presentation?

Sorry if I'm not a purist.

But then again what were the ratings for domestic soccer before TFC was established? I don't mean to insult any from away that have given so much to the game in Canada. Talking about the presentation of broadcasting Canadian soccer to English speaking Canadians is all.

Impact last time I looked are doing alright broadcasting Canadian soccer to French speaking Canadians without the help of broadcasters who have a France accent.

Not being an arse about it. I would just like to see Canadian domestic soccer take off as a TV sport.

I believe not sounding Canadian leaves a lot feeling the game is a foreign game not thier game. Before we can enter the World game we have to believe that it is our game, that's all. Nothing against Nigel but maybe in the wrong job at the wrong time.

Hell, wouldn't that be terrible if Soccer Night in Canada happened with Impact and Whitecaps entering the league. Sit down after a late supper on the East Coast, turn on the TV and watch domestic soccer untill after midnight. Pre-game show, complete league hi-lites, fantasy league reports, league rumours round table, player interviews, beating to death where players played youth/academy for interest beyond the 3 teams, a Don Cherry or Dave Madden kinda guy getting folk riled up because he's over the top........his schtick........., player interviews, post game show. Millions of viewers, advertisers paying top $. Complete webcast of the games live and archived. Broadcasters bidding against each other for games and nights. You're right why would any Canadian soccer fan want that?

Don't you think that somehow the domestic game has to be presented as our game so we can become part of the world game. Not left thinking that it's a foreign game because of presentation?

Sorry if I'm not a purist.

But then again what were the ratings for domestic soccer before TFC was established? I don't mean to insult any from away that have given so much to the game in Canada. Talking about the presentation of broadcasting Canadian soccer to English speaking Canadians is all.

Impact last time I looked are doing alright broadcasting Canadian soccer to French speaking Canadians without the help of broadcasters who have a France accent.

Well said. Very well said.

"Impact last time I looked are doing alright broadcasting Canadian soccer to French speaking Canadians without the help of broadcasters who have a France accent."

My understanding is that the beef has as much if not more to do with standard international football/soccer terminology as it does the accent of the commentator. Do the Radio Canada commentators use hockey terminology to call soccer games, I don't know, I speak (or rather spoke as I am very rusty on most except English now) five languages but French isn't one of them?

Archived