Victoria Highlanders heading to USL2?

ted

Probably depends how big a black hole the ownership is prepared to pour money into - not many if any NASL/USL-1 teams make money. The chances of at least breaking even are far greater with the much lower cost USL-2 type structure.

^ I don't now much about the Victoria market but, with 300,000 people and no competition from other sports teams could they not support an NASL franchise?

Unfortunately as we all know, Population does not breed success at putting bums in seats. I think its neat how they are starting to craft a small niche in their marketplace with hope of rising up in the future. I will definitely keep my ear open for progress of these guys. I hope the Portlands, Vancouvers and Seattles of the area help grow this club through their acadamys and allow them to realize their goals.

Population for Greater Victoria was just over 300k for the 2006 census.

Re: NASL - the owner is a cautious businessman (who is a really good guy and stopped by for a beer with the Buoys after the last game) who wants to take it step-by-step and I can support that. We have had two seasons with solid attendance numbers and reasonable community awareness. A move up to a regional USL2 and some time at that level would be a smart move before jumping into a continent-wide league.

Re: competition - the Victoria Seals are doing very well and getting good press.

Archived