Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

Note that CSA brass, etc. will be in Edmonton this week for 2 days to get wined and dined by the city and inspect the stadium, training facilities, accommodation, etc. for 2014 u20 and 2015 WWC games in Edmonton. They'll be at the FCE-TFC game wednesday night of course. Can you imagine how much this must be ripping Mario up to not be there with his "boys"?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Note that CSA brass, etc. will be in Edmonton this week for 2 days to get wined and dined by the city and inspect the stadium, training facilities, accommodation, etc. for 2014 u20 and 2015 WWC games in Edmonton. They'll be at the FCE-TFC game wednesday night of course. Can you imagine how much this must be ripping Mario up to not be there with his "boys"?

I imagine sour grapes and crow are on the menu..

• 2 weeks later...

I read an article in the newpapers about CSA's visit to Edmonton and their tour of the facilities. I was surprised to see that it didn't appear that an ASA representative had been invited to join them. Is that common practice or a deliberate snub?

Has anyone seen the latest documents added to the ReforamAlbertaSoccer website! Dynamite---- It appears that Messrs. Chen and Calvin wrote to the CSA President only 2 days before the AGM that ended their illustrious terms and bent the truth by denying that the ASA had taken discipline action against its members that took it to court suggesting instead the ASA had run out of money becuase of all the legal action. The CSA president seems to have relied fully upon Chen and Calvin's advice and seeks to call in the big boys to deal with that dastardly ASA BUT the CSA lawyer has cautioned the President against some action and tried to set the fact straight.

If the CSA President does not believe his own lawyer, perhaps he should consult the RAS website instead? If he is willfully refusing to accept the facts, could it be because of CSA AGM is on May 14 and he stands to lose his base of power if that dastardly ASA is not eliminated, and quickly.

CSA members had better beware of the huge jeopardy the CSA President might put them all in. Although it seems like it, the CSA President cannot act alone. I hope the rest of the CSA Board and membership does not conspire with the President to take the ASA down becuase doing so will cause the CSA to sink as well.

The President and VP of the CSA has a meeting with ASA on Monday... 10 guesses and the first 9 don't count as to what it is about. I hope the ASA board keeps their cool and does not get too intimidated by the good Dr.

Has anyone seen the latest documents added to the ReforamAlbertaSoccer website! Dynamite---- It appears that Messrs. Chen and Calvin wrote to the CSA President only 2 days before the AGM that ended their illustrious terms and bent the truth by denying that the ASA had taken discipline action against its members that took it to court suggesting instead the ASA had run out of money becuase of all the legal action. The CSA president seems to have relied fully upon Chen and Calvin's advice and seeks to call in the big boys to deal with that dastardly ASA BUT the CSA lawyer has cautioned the President against some action and tried to set the fact straight.

If the CSA President does not believe his own lawyer, perhaps he should consult the RAS website instead? If he is willfully refusing to accept the facts, could it be because of CSA AGM is on May 14 and he stands to lose his base of power if that dastardly ASA is not eliminated, and quickly.

CSA members had better beware of the huge jeopardy the CSA President might put them all in. Although it seems like it, the CSA President cannot act alone. I hope the rest of the CSA Board and membership does not conspire with the President to take the ASA down becuase doing so will cause the CSA to sink as well.

The President and VP of the CSA has a meeting with ASA on Monday... 10 guesses and the first 9 don't count as to what it is about. I hope the ASA board keeps their cool and does not get too intimidated by the good Dr.

Very interesting documents. The good Doctor appears to slant his communications with Fifa towards painting ASA as some sort of evil empire. I do have a question though...why does he think it noteworthy to mention that Billings attend the AGM meeting and banquet? I know he is suspended but Billings wasn't running for a board position or voting. Why does it matter that he was there as an observer?

Also. Mr Chen looks comes off looking like a petty, vindictive ass. His letter look like sour grapes and not much more.

I also found it interesting that the CSA lawyers don't seem to have all the information (CSA isn't sharing everythign) and yet it appears they still warn the good doc to stand down and state they have advised him of the same thing in the past. It is nice to know that CSA is willing to proceed in spite of their legal advise. That should put the board members personally liable for their actions.

Traficante would have been the one who told him that Chris was at the banquet. He looked like he had swallowed a lemon when Chris walked in. By the way, almost no one at the banquet even talked to Traficante, it was plainly obvious that most people there were well aware of his role in this whole ungodly mess.

I'd love to hear the outcome of the meeting with CSA if anyone ever hears what was discussed.

Traficante would have been the one who told him that Chris was at the banquet. He looked like he had swallowed a lemon when Chris walked in. By the way, almost no one at the banquet even talked to Traficante, it was plainly obvious that most people there were well aware of his role in this whole ungodly mess.

Is it against the terms of the suspension to attend a banquet? I can't see how it matters at all that he was there.

The Banquet, though scheduled on the same weekend as the AGM, does not constitute the AGM at all. The AGM itself is the business meeting that was called to order in the morning and closed after the elections. The fact that Billings was present is a completely moot point although certainly one that those who believe themselves to be omnipotent would be bothered by.

The Banquet, though scheduled on the same weekend as the AGM, does not constitute the AGM at all. The AGM itself is the business meeting that was called to order in the morning and closed after the elections. The fact that Billings was present is a completely moot point although certainly one that those who believe themselves to be omnipotent would be bothered by.

The letter from the doc to Fifa says the Chris was also at the AGM. Is that an issue? I can't see why it would be if he wasnt speaking, running for office, or voting.

Was he even there? He was not at the meeting/in the meeting from what I am told.

The letter says he was there at the end of the AGM. Because Maestracci mentioned it he must think it is important

I had a quick view of the letters and I really struggle with -

Why the CSA is even bothering to try to continue to go down this road of self destruction. Do they continue to believe that they are above the Alberta courts judgement? Further, the CSA has admitted that they don't have a Dispute Resolution Process (DRP) that is standardized and up to date at the NSO and PSO levels. Maybe they should get that in order and use it rather than ending up before the Alberta bench on contempt charges.

I can't see how the CSA justify any action against any individual that went to the Alberta courts to seek resolution and to have their rights to hold a SGM and AGM. Specifically, like at PSO's SGM and AGM the NSO has no standing at all so why does the FIFA and the CSA think they can enforce anything at a PSO level. What is interesting, is that Sports Canada doesn't understand this as well. This was one of my beefs with Gary Lunn which he couldn't get through his head that the CSA is not a democratically elected NSO where the elected members come from all levels of the sport and represent all those levels. Once there is a replacement for Gary Lunn this will be brought to their attention as I like many go no where with him. Good news is Joyce Murray held her seat and hopefully she will continue to be the shadow minister of Sports Canada.

The ASA Chen letter to the Dr seems to outline the facts but in the last paragraph twists the facts in that the SGM and AGM were somehow not right even though the GM's were court ordered and the GM were conducted by a agreed to 3rd party and the Districts voted as per the ASA bylaws. It's disturbing that a current director of the ASA seems to be sided with the former Mario Directors and asking the Dr for advice. Seems all to chummy to me.

Pat Santini has a good handle on things and IMO he has politely and tactfully pointed out to the Dr that the political game will not win. As to why the Dr continues to push a political agenda and maybe select-fully chooses the info he gives to FIFA is a dangerous game for him to play and for the other CSA board members. Pat Santini, IMO knows the CSA will not win in the courts.

Ole Jacobsen, new ASA President letter is very good and tactfully puts the CSA on notice that the new board will act per the bylaws and law to insure their members rights. The letter IMO challenges the CSA to act as per the bylaws and law as well or be held accountable. I believe the new board has got a clear vision of what and how it has to do to move the ASA forward quickly.

As I said before, if the CSA continues to push the ASA into the courts, it will be a quick reform of the CSA that will happen and the CSA board will be held accountable. The same should be for the old Mario Muppets who after the ASA audit of their financials and minutes is found to have been at fault in their duties as Directors they too should be held accountable. This is an important step in soccer reform as directors should be held accountable to their responsibilities as per Canadian law and not the old rules of the old boys suit club of Perkie Boys.

Btw major credos to Tyler and the reformers for insuring the correspondence gets into the public domain. It's a huge step in showing the CSA what they fail to do which is be transparent to the soccer community .

The letter says he was there at the end of the AGM. Because Maestracci mentioned it he must think it is important

They're such idiots, Chris popped into the hotel pub after the meeting because one of the guys gave him a call to ask him to come to the banquet (he had another engagement later in the evening). Maestracci is going by what Traficante told him, who was too busy talking to the EMSA delegation outside the doors to even notice who was there and not there near the end of the elections.

I had a quick view of the letters and I really struggle with -

Why the CSA is even bothering to try to continue to go down this road of self destruction. Do they continue to believe that they are above the Alberta courts judgement? Further, the CSA has admitted that they don't have a Dispute Resolution Process (DRP) that is standardized and up to date at the NSO and PSO levels. Maybe they should get that in order and use it rather than ending up before the Alberta bench on contempt charges.

I can't see how the CSA justify any action against any individual that went to the Alberta courts to seek resolution and to have their rights to hold a SGM and AGM. Specifically, like at PSO's SGM and AGM the NSO has no standing at all so why does the FIFA and the CSA think they can enforce anything at a PSO level. What is interesting, is that Sports Canada doesn't understand this as well. This was one of my beefs with Gary Lunn which he couldn't get through his head that the CSA is not a democratically elected NSO where the elected members come from all levels of the sport and represent all those levels. Once there is a replacement for Gary Lunn this will be brought to their attention as I like many go no where with him. Good news is Joyce Murray held her seat and hopefully she will continue to be the shadow minister of Sports Canada.

The ASA Chen letter to the Dr seems to outline the facts but in the last paragraph twists the facts in that the SGM and AGM were somehow not right even though the GM's were court ordered and the GM were conducted by a agreed to 3rd party and the Districts voted as per the ASA bylaws. It's disturbing that a current director of the ASA seems to be sided with the former Mario Directors and asking the Dr for advice. Seems all to chummy to me.

Pat Santini has a good handle on things and IMO he has politely and tactfully pointed out to the Dr that the political game will not win. As to why the Dr continues to push a political agenda and maybe select-fully chooses the info he gives to FIFA is a dangerous game for him to play and for the other CSA board members. Pat Santini, IMO knows the CSA will not win in the courts.

Ole Jacobsen, new ASA President letter is very good and tactfully puts the CSA on notice that the new board will act per the bylaws and law to insure their members rights. The letter IMO challenges the CSA to act as per the bylaws and law as well or be held accountable. I believe the new board has got a clear vision of what and how it has to do to move the ASA forward quickly.

As I said before, if the CSA continues to push the ASA into the courts, it will be a quick reform of the CSA that will happen and the CSA board will be held accountable. The same should be for the old Mario Muppets who after the ASA audit of their financials and minutes is found to have been at fault in their duties as Directors they too should be held accountable. This is an important step in soccer reform as directors should be held accountable to their responsibilities as per Canadian law and not the old rules of the old boys suit club of Perkie Boys.

Btw major credos to Tyler and the reformers for insuring the correspondence gets into the public domain. It's a huge step in showing the CSA what they fail to do which is be transparent to the soccer community .

The IQ level of the ASA Board went up astronomically after the election, might be some problems for Doc M. in his dealings with them.

Found it telling that even Santini referred to the recent election and AGM as the "recent election of the new board at their democratically held AGM." That is a pretty good indication of their legal position.

Kudos to reform alberta soccer for obtaining the documents (not sure how they obtained a couple of them) and for posting them in a public forum. The availability of information is what has turned the tide for change in Alberta.

I'm reading the Feb 20/2011 ASA BOD meeting minutes and found this part interesting. Was this Chen's last gift to Mario and Colin?

The ASA BOD noted that the dispute amongst the ASA and its members the past year has caused a severe rift between individuals. Serious concern was raised about the dispute continuing, and in particular abou the directors removed at the January 2011 SGM being subject to unreasonable and inappropriate censure. It was noted that ongoing conflict was not in the best interest of the ASA, and ASA BOD had an obligation to minimize the potential for conflict. It was decided that the ASA BOD should offer to the removed directors a release and indemnity that will protect them from all future actions, but excluding any criminal acts (if any).

Motion: To provide the directors removed at the special general meeting in January 2011 with a release and idemnity for all their actos or ommissions (except criminal) as ASA directorss.

M/S/C

Action: S. Chen to have Gowlings draft and produce a release and idemnity agreement in favour of the directors removed at the January 2011 special general meeting

Does this mean that Charpentier and Innes are now off the hook for any slander claims from the former ED they publicly accused of misappropriation of funds? Why should the ASA be financially accountable for the words of these two individuals who were saying anything they could to justify their actions?

This just smells bad to me. It is like they knew there were some liability issues and they moved to protect their buddies at the expense of the ASA. I have seen several mentions of the precarious financial position of the ASA so it makes no sense for the ASA to offer additional protection to former board members who may have incurred personal liability through their actions. I thought the role of the ASA BOD was to protect the interests of ASA (including financial) and not the interests of some board members whose actions caused them to be removed through a historical vote by the ASA membership

I'm reading the Feb 20/2011 ASA BOD meeting minutes and found this part interesting. Was this Chen's last gift to Mario and Colin?

Does this mean that Charpentier and Innes are now off the hook for any slander claims from the former ED they publicly accused of misappropriation of funds? Why should the ASA be financially accountable for the words of these two individuals who were saying anything they could to justify their actions?

This just smells bad to me. It is like they knew there were some liability issues and they moved to protect their buddies at the expense of the ASA. I have seen several mentions of the precarious financial position of the ASA so it makes no sense for the ASA to offer additional protection to former board members who may have incurred personal liability through their actions. I thought the role of the ASA BOD was to protect the interests of ASA (including financial) and not the interests of some board members whose actions caused them to be removed through a historical vote by the ASA membership

I could be wrong but I don't think the members voted on the above at the SGM. I did a search of the PDF using the search feature and couldn't find anything. What did happen?

IMO it has to be voted on by the members as a resolution as the indemnity clauses are usely in the bylaws. Also, I doubt it would fly if the ASA Bod did it themselves as it puts them in a conflict of interest and against the bylaws.

New twists mark court appearance for former Richmond soccer treasurer

The Province

BY EVE EDMONDS, RICHMOND NEWS MAY 6, 2011

It has been nine long years since the day Andrew Dunham wrote a cheque on behalf of the Richmond Youth Soccer Association for some T-shirts, only to have that cheque bounce.

It made no sense given that, at the time, the RYSA’s volunteer board was frequently updated on the club’s healthy financial situation.

Dunham, a soccer dad, coach and board member, asked the club’s then treasurer/chair Debbie Judd why the NSF — and so began the unraveling of a sorry soccer tale involving years of forensic accounting, fraud charges and finally, maybe, a plea.

cont'd

I could be wrong but I don't think the members voted on the above at the SGM. I did a search of the PDF using the search feature and couldn't find anything. What did happen?

IMO it has to be voted on by the members as a resolution as the indemnity clauses are usely in the bylaws. Also, I doubt it would fly if the ASA Bod did it themselves as it puts them in a conflict of interest and against the bylaws.

I hope you are right. There were two seperate items dealing with indemnity in that BOD meeting minutes. One was to look at changing the bylaw and one (motion carried) was to get Gowlings to draft a special release for the former board. I don't like that at all.

New twists mark court appearance for former Richmond soccer treasurer

The Province

BY EVE EDMONDS, RICHMOND NEWS MAY 6, 2011

It has been nine long years since the day Andrew Dunham wrote a cheque on behalf of the Richmond Youth Soccer Association for some T-shirts, only to have that cheque bounce.

It made no sense given that, at the time, the RYSA’s volunteer board was frequently updated on the club’s healthy financial situation.

Dunham, a soccer dad, coach and board member, asked the club’s then treasurer/chair Debbie Judd why the NSF — and so began the unraveling of a sorry soccer tale involving years of forensic accounting, fraud charges and finally, maybe, a plea.

cont'd

Interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Was he even there? He was not at the meeting/in the meeting from what I am told.

To the best of my recollection, Chris walked in as the AGM was adjourned. I fail to see the relevance of whether or not he was present; according to RoR AGM's are open to all interested parties.

This is disgusting. Scott Chen should not be permitted to call himself a lawyer if he does not appreciate the breach of fiduciary duty committed here. How is this in the interest of the ASA as an organization, that just spent close to a milliion dollars in legal fees to defend and push the agenda of the Blazer boys. This has Nothing to do with the ASA interests, and only with taking care of friends.

IF directors, current and former, are sued there is insurance coverage for them AND if they are acting properly, within the course and scope of their duties, their actions are the Association's responsiblity, not theirs personally. There is no reason to try to protect them further unless you are trying to protect gross negligence, intentional breaches of the governning rules or criminal conduct.

Although I doubt this kind of "resolution" is even valid, I wonder if Scott Chen included himself in this glorious grant of indemnity. If he didn't, then the ASA should third party him IF the indemnity is used as a defence IF any actionable conduct is discovered in the coming days, weeks, months and years. D&O insurance is not likely to cover him for this.

Archived