Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did you hear that and is it on paper?

I read it on Jason DeVos twitter this morning, there was a tweet that said he would update after the meeting.

Jeanette Kuc is on the Board now as well and with Traficante gone I would think that the Doctor will no longer have control of the executive which makes me think he will also lose Victor Montagliani's support as well. He should end up being the ultimate lame duck president for the next year. Pretty good news for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted on the ASA website and reposted on the EIYSA website is a job search announcement for the Technical Director's job. Has Mr. Malakone been relieved of his duties? Odd timing given the regional trials for the select teams happened this past week-end and the final trials are this coming week-end. Does anyone know the back story?

Posted on the ASA website and reposted on the EIYSA website is a job search announcement for the Technical Director's job. Has Mr. Malakone been relieved of his duties? Odd timing given the regional trials for the select teams happened this past week-end and the final trials are this coming week-end. Does anyone know the back story?

If you look at the May 16, 2011 board meeting minutes there is some background to the question you have asked. The current service contract for the TD expires on August 21, 2011.

This is found in the Technical Committee section section d.

• 3 weeks later...
If you look at the May 16, 2011 board meeting minutes there is some background to the question you have asked. The current service contract for the TD expires on August 21, 2011.

This is found in the Technical Committee section section d.

I have really appreciated this boards willingness to get their minutes up on the website in a prompt fashion (and with no password). It is great to see some openness and accountability.

I would still love to see the minutes from all the 2010 meetings (if any were held), but I doubt that is going to happen.

Thank you to all who participated in this Discipline Committee as they have paved the way to closure and a new beginning to soccer in Alberta. I only hope that the CSA and FIFA will have a similar understanding as this Discipline Committee when it comes to jurisdiction of members and the courts being a higher authority than soccer associations, clubs and similar in the Canadian soccer structure.

Ps. The new board has done a awesome job of reporting their minutes for the past year here -

http://www.albertasoccer.com/index.php?submenu=Governance&src=gendocs&ref=BoardofDirectors_copy&category=Main

The decision of the discipline Committee appointed by the ASA is now posted on the ASA website.

http://www.albertasoccer.com/clientuploads/Final%20Reasons%20for%20Decision%20(District%20Discipline)%20Signed%20(June%2028,%202011).pdf

This should effectively allow the organization to put the turmoil of the past year behind it and move forward.

"On the other hand the A.S.A. says that there can be no justification to take a matter to a court of law. That assertion is just plain wrong."

Sums it all up in that one sentence!

So any word on the "charges" against Billings? Are any of the accusers continuing or are they scurrying for dark like cockroaches?

I'm curious about who's going to pay the $90K legal bill that the auditors said shouldn't have been billed to ASA as it was a legal opinion.

Is that for the legal opinion that started the whole thing? The Gowlings opinion that Mario and Colin used as justification for all their other actions? Has anyone seen that legal opinion yet? I had almost started to believe it was imaginary.

• 3 months later...

How are things within the ASA now? I don't hear very much anymore about the current situation. Has there been an improvement? What is the general feeling as the next AGM approaches? Is (or has) Billing going to be reinstated?

Things seem to be running smoothly along at ASA. Shaun Lowther has been hired as the new TD and there are some major changes being planned within the player development side of things. Some governance issues I think still need to be addressed e.g. Directors at ASA remain as Directors/Executives within their clubs, which doesn't technically violate the by-laws as the clubs are not members per se. Nevertheless, it seems a huge conflict of interest to me.

EMSA has just announced a new 'High Training' program and the intent, as to my understanding, is to develop an EMSA Selects team. The program appears to be running perfectly in parallel with ASAs player development program so I suspect that Mario and his cohort are attempting to compete with ASA or further splinter soccer in Alberta. Now would be a good time to work in co-operation with ASA on initiatives like this, not compete with them. So it is unclear to me what Mario and co are up to.

Things seem to be running smoothly along at ASA. Shaun Lowther has been hired as the new TD and there are some major changes being planned within the player development side of things. Some governance issues I think still need to be addressed e.g. Directors at ASA remain as Directors/Executives within their clubs, which doesn't technically violate the by-laws as the clubs are not members per se. Nevertheless, it seems a huge conflict of interest to me.

EMSA has just announced a new 'High Training' program and the intent, as to my understanding, is to develop an EMSA Selects team. The program appears to be running perfectly in parallel with ASAs player development program so I suspect that Mario and his cohort are attempting to compete with ASA or further splinter soccer in Alberta. Now would be a good time to work in co-operation with ASA on initiatives like this, not compete with them. So it is unclear to me what Mario and co are up to.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the AGM in January. Thanks for the update.

I think it would be very interesting if Dan Barnes or Ben Knight did a follow up article on ASA. It would be great to have an update on the financial impact of the dispute, any changes the new board has implemented, what has been done (if anything) to prevent similar disputes in the future, what has been done to improve the technical side of soccer in Alberta. Other things I would be interested to learn

1. Status of Chris Billings in all of this

2. Status of former Executive Director

3. does either side of the dispute have any regrets

4. What is the working relationship between CSA and ASA like now?

5. What is employee morale like at the ASA?

6. Is the ASA able to now have a cooperative relationship with EMSA and CMSA?

Just my 2 cents.

Some governance issues I think still need to be addressed e.g. Directors at ASA remain as Directors/Executives within their clubs, which doesn't technically violate the by-laws as the clubs are not members per se. Nevertheless, it seems a huge conflict of interest to me.

Is EIYSA a 'club' or a 'member'?

• 4 weeks later...

Innes gone, for the most part

"At the November 6, 2011 CUSA AGM Jessie Lail was elected by acclamation as President. Join us in welcoming him to his new role with the association. Colin Innes will remain active with the Board in his capacity as Past President after serving as President for the past 5 years."

• 3 months later...
Has Chris Billings been reinstated? I heard he had his hearing last month? Anyone know the outcome?

Nothing on the ASA site and just the letter from Mr Billings thanking all his supporters on the reformalbertasoccer site

http://www.reformalbertasoccer.com/Timeline-2010/change-log/asatoholdhearingformrbillings

Anyone got any updates? Will this, the longest thread in V's history, finally have and end?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived