Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

Four things happened.

Eiysa abandoned the reform bylaw that was to remove the court prohibition tabling it for CSA to fix as they promised. All bylaw amendments were tabled.

Prior to the vote Traficante got up and said that since there is an appeal issue before CSA it might be best if ASA not have an election just now.

People asked him who and what and he was not forthcoming but Chen told someone that while Mario lost his appeal on jurisdiction the CSA board will review it and he still might win. Good old Chen. You cant buy that kind of loyalty. You can try.

The election went ahead and a complete reform slate was elected.

Emsa's Mario and Ivan in tow -see igor-left in a huff prior to the last votes were held so they had to recalculate voting weight. Sad display but true to characters.

Interesting. Will CSA take one last stab at trying to decide who the board of ASA is? Stay tuned.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news. A complete reform slate! Wow. It's taken a year and some but what they set out do they have now accomplished.

I don't remember any group in Canadian soccer accomplishing as much, in such a short period of time, against all the vile that the CSA executives could throw at them.

Well done!

Here are three things I would like to see the new board do:

Invite Billings to have his hearing on the completely bogus Innes and Charpentier charges. Allow him to clear his name and then allow him to sit on the ASA Board as past President. Lots of work left to do coming up with a proper appeals process and Chris is just the guy to do it.

Have the hearings for the people who had to go to court to get justice and give them a fitting punishment-put them on the committee to come up with a appeals reform package.

Have this document presented at the next CSA AGM to usher in a new process for dispute resolution. Taking the US or Aussie model wouldnt be a bad start.

Change the names of the amsl trophies back to jubillee and challenge cup and remove the Kern and Traficante names off those trophies. Ok now i am just being petty.

This is a good day for soccer reform in Canada.

Four things happened.

Eiysa abandoned the reform bylaw that was to remove the court prohibition tabling it for CSA to fix as they promised. All bylaw amendments were tabled.

Prior to the vote Traficante got up and said that since there is an appeal issue before CSA it might be best if ASA not have an election just now.

People asked him who and what and he was not forthcoming but Chen told someone that while Mario lost his appeal on jurisdiction the CSA board will review it and he still might win. Good old Chen. You cant buy that kind of loyalty. You can try.

The election went ahead and a complete reform slate was elected.

Emsa's Mario and Ivan in tow -see igor-left in a huff prior to the last votes were held so they had to recalculate voting weight. Sad display but true to characters.

Interesting. Will CSA take one last stab at trying to decide who the board of ASA is? Stay tuned.

1st thing the ASA board should do is ask Traficante to resign from the CSA. Isn't his information mere rumor being that the CSA board and Appeals Committee have said they will not hear Mario's appeal? At the very least a copy of the ASA AGM minutes should be put in from of the CSA and questions asked about who authorized Traficante to speak on that subject and what is really going on......if the guy wants to put his head in the noose finish the job for him.

Further is the CSA is going turn around and hear Mario's appeal the ASA should drop Rule 32 as it seems the CSA could be BS'ing the ASA just like they have over appearance fees and fixed compensation with the WNT for 10 years.

1st thing the ASA board should do is ask Traficante to resign from the CSA. Isn't his information mere rumor being that the CSA board and Appeals Committee have said they will not hear Mario's appeal? At the very least a copy of the ASA AGM minutes should be put in from of the CSA and questions asked about who authorized Traficante to speak on that subject and what is really going on......if the guy wants to put his head in the noose finish the job for him.

Further is the CSA is going turn around and hear Mario's appeal the ASA should drop Rule 32 as it seems the CSA could be BS'ing the ASA just like they have over appearance fees and fixed compensation with the WNT for 10 years.

Yes-one got the sense with all the weasel words he used Traficante was talking out of his ass just to stick up for his buddy Mario-rather then carrying any real message from CSA. People at CSA really need to question this man's ruinous involvement in this CSA/ASA dipute. His advice to CSA about ASA has proven time and again to be wrong. He has surely told them not to worry as the reformers are a small minority of trouble makers with no backing. Reality now after the SGM and the clean sweep at the AGM is that Alberta is overwhelmingly against the stooges that Mike has been backing. Time to let us run our house and sort yourself out CSA. Throw Mike under the next bus that comes down Metcalf. I mean that metaphorically of course.

Yes-one got the sense with all the weasel words he used Traficante was talking out of his ass just to stick up for his buddy Mario-rather then carrying any real message from CSA. People at CSA really need to question this man's ruinous involvement in this CSA/ASA dipute. His advice to CSA about ASA has proven time and again to be wrong. He has surely told them not to worry as the reformers are a small minority of trouble makers with no backing. Reality now after the SGM and the clean sweep at the AGM is that Alberta is overwhelmingly against the stooges that Mike has been backing. Time to let us run our house and sort yourself out CSA. Throw Mike under the next bus that comes down Metcalf. I mean that metaphorically of course.

I hope you are right about Mike talking out of his a$$, but for the reasons listed below in a past Ben Knight article about the CSA AGM in May there may be a vested intrest from both Traficante and Dr. Dominique Maestracci to persue Marios claim. Surely the rest of the CSA executive are getting tired of this but you never know. Can just imagine what a judge would think of CSA if they annulled the result of a court ordered SGM

An anonymous source close to events told Canadian Soccer News tonight that nothing can be done to revive full reform until the Alberta Soccer Association holds its own AGM on April 16.

It is roundly believed both Chen and Calvin will be dismissed that day. But who takes their place – and whether the new ASA will be pro- or anti-reform – is too unclear tonight for any of the reformers to step up and throw the dice.

So – it’s dead, right?

Apparently not. I’ve been told tonight the matter can be reopened on the floor of the actual CSA AGM.

The basic operator:

- A vote of 50% + 1 (based on each province’s percentage of registered soccer players) is needed to put full reform back on the CSA AGM agenda. I can’t confirm whether that still holds beyond tonight, but I have been assured by a well-placed source that there is still a constitutionally legal way to proceed.

- A vote of 67% would then be needed to pass the original reform package into law. Full reform would then take effect almost immediately.

- The biggest obstacle remains … Alberta.

- Quebec and Nova Scotia also voted against the full package, but 50% + 1 can be attained without them, if enough other provinces sign on. But barring an unforeseeable change of heart in either Halifax or Quebec City, the 67% needed to seal the deal cannot be reached without Alberta switching sides.

That’s all I’ve been able to wrestle onto the record for tonight. There is deep silence on all sides of this story, and by present Canadian soccer standards, it’s been holding quite effectively.

The reform story is far from dead – but it’s going to be asleep at least another week or two.

Onward!

I hope you are right about Mike talking out of his a$$, but for the reasons listed below in a past Ben Knight article about the CSA AGM in May there may be a vested intrest from both Traficante and Dr. Dominique Maestracci to persue Marios claim. Surely the rest of the CSA executive are getting tired of this but you never know. Can just imagine what a judge would think of CSA if they annulled the result of a court ordered SGM

Yes-as usual the porkbarrellers are very active when it comes to saving their own pork barrells and this mario fellow would be quite useful to them and they will go that extra mile-when it comes to properly governing soccer on issues like the a transparent and independant dispute resolution system that will have to wait.

Any news on the AGM? Who got elected, what was passed, etc?

Hopefully the first order of business for the new board is to unsuspend Billings and tell those who charged him to show their evidence or withdraw the charges. Second a forensic audit. Third a committee to draft a "new and improved" dispute resolution process and bylaw (hopefully within a month) to replace the illegal #32.

Without a doubt one of the best ASA meetings I have been to – instead of constant bickering by EMSA and their CMSa cohorts, it was conducted in a cooperative and respectful atmosphere.

All financial matters were deferred to the new board with an expectation of being reviewed and reported back to the membership at the SGM to be held by the end of June. A lot of work ahead of them. Proposed Bylaw changes were also tabled - the new board’s bylaw committee will conduct a thorough review and will propose more comprehensive changes, rather than addressing everything in a piece meal type of package.

Ole Jacobsen – President (Airdrie)

Randy Shalaghan – First VP (Red Deer)

Brad Odsen – Second VP (Edmonton)

John Voorhorst – Finance Director (Sunny South)

Steve Parkin – Director at large, 2 year term (Battle River)

Shaun Hammond - Director at large, 2 year term (Edmonton)

Billy Dunlop - Director at large, 2 year term (Sherwood Park)

Richard Dixon - Director at large, 1 year term (Edmonton)

Derryn Doneghy - Director at large, 1 year term (Edmonton)

Sherri Thorsen - Director at large, 1 year term (Sherwood Park)

A breath of fresh air indeed!

Without a doubt one of the best ASA meetings I have been to – instead of constant bickering by EMSA and their CMSa cohorts, it was conducted in a cooperative and respectful atmosphere.

All financial matters were deferred to the new board with an expectation of being reviewed and reported back to the membership at the SGM to be held by the end of June. A lot of work ahead of them. Proposed Bylaw changes were also tabled - the new board’s bylaw committee will conduct a thorough review and will propose more comprehensive changes, rather than addressing everything in a piece meal type of package.

What sense did you get about whether the CSA is likely to make the AGM null and void because of marios claim the sgm was illegal to prop up Mario et al?

Does this mean the ASA is finally on the road to recovery at last? What a saga it's been.

Richard-most think CSA will step in to prop up mario and innes for their AGM-or at least declare the new board under dispute so not allow them to go to the CSA AGM. Not over yet. Very sad because over 2 SGMs and one AGM an overwhelming voice for reform has been expressed. It appears that the CSA executive has at least one more card to play-perhaps just for spite or perhaps strategically an effort to thwart their own demise via acclerated reform. This thread isnt dead yet.

What sense did you get about whether the CSA is likely to make the AGM null and void because of marios claim the sgm was illegal to prop up Mario et al?

Well the new and improved ASA seems to have anticipated a lot of the CSA's moves and cut them off at the knees. First I don't see anyone on that list who went to court (as far as I remeber, correct me if I'm wrong) so the CSA can't suspend them for that and give Mario control again on those grounds. Second the elimination of bylaw 32 (the ILLEGAL one) was taken off the table (now lets see the CSA deliver). Third the court ordered the SGM and for the CSA to try and use that to put Mario back in would be suicide. The CSA would basically be telling a judge F*Off and that would get contempt of court without anyone at the ASA lifting a finger. Now the CSA executives have done some blatantly stupid things and their board have been spineless & gutless about standing up to them but this would be so over the top stupid that either the execs will leave Mario in the wilderness or the CSA board will finally get a spine and stop them from bringing the whole house down.

Well the new and improved ASA seems to have anticipated a lot of the CSA's moves and cut them off at the knees. First I don't see anyone on that list who went to court (as far as I remeber, correct me if I'm wrong) so the CSA can't suspend them for that and give Mario control again on those grounds. Second the elimination of bylaw 32 (the ILLEGAL one) was taken off the table (now lets see the CSA deliver). Third the court ordered the SGM and for the CSA to try and use that to put Mario back in would be suicide. The CSA would basically be telling a judge F*Off and that would get contempt of court without anyone at the ASA lifting a finger. Now the CSA executives have done some blatantly stupid things and their board have been spineless & gutless about standing up to them but this would be so over the top stupid that either the execs will leave Mario in the wilderness or the CSA board will finally get a spine and stop them from bringing the whole house down.

Well it appears that the majority of the CSA executive have been following Maestracci and Traficante as they navigate through a minefield and the reasonable ones have been unable to restrain them as they blunder from one undetected mine to the next. Is it possible that some of these guys will be able to prevail on them to stop marching blindly to CSA and ASAs doom? they dont seem to have a lot of respect for the rule of law-why would they stop now? FIFA says they can ignore the courts.

Well it appears that the majority of the CSA executive have been following Maestracci and Traficante as they navigate through a minefield and the reasonable ones have been unable to restrain them as they blunder from one undetected mine to the next. Is it possible that some of these guys will be able to prevail on them to stop marching blindly to CSA and ASAs doom? they dont seem to have a lot of respect for the rule of law-why would they stop now? FIFA says they can ignore the courts.

True FIFA says the CSA can ignore the courts but CSA can't ignore the courts. They do so at their own peril as there is a court ruling in place. The CSA execs may not have respect for the laws of the land but fear is an adequate substitute. They can be held criminally liable personally now so not only can't they hide behind FIFA they can't even hide behind their own organization.

True FIFA says the CSA can ignore the courts but CSA can't ignore the courts. They do so at their own peril as there is a court ruling in place. The CSA execs may not have respect for the laws of the land but fear is an adequate substitute. They can be held criminally liable personally now so not only can't they hide behind FIFA they can't even hide behind their own organization.

Another tactic is to blow up ASA by continued interference and forcing further court cases. If they turf the new board or not recognise them then they force the ASA members to go back to court and EMSA and CMSA are lobbying the court to wind up ASA -most think that CSA has told them they will simply recognise this new entity-and then supposedly they can rid themselves of these nasty reform people and retain their friends. Sounds wacky but a few of the old boys out here have bragged that this is just what is going to happen. Seems extreme-espescially given recent events. What was stark was the absolute non-participation of the EMSa and CMSa people at the recent AGM. This can be read in many ways but most of them bode ill.

Another tactic is to blow up ASA by continued interference and forcing further court cases. If they turf the new board or not recognise them then they force the ASA members to go back to court and EMSA and CMSA are lobbying the court to wind up ASA -most think that CSA has told them they will simply recognise this new entity-and then supposedly they can rid themselves of these nasty reform people and retain their friends. Sounds wacky but a few of the old boys out here have bragged that this is just what is going to happen. Seems extreme-espescially given recent events. What was stark was the absolute non-participation of the EMSa and CMSa people at the recent AGM. This can be read in many ways but most of them bode ill.

There is too much exposure to the CSA and the individual CSA board members now. The Alberta Court rulings are up to the CSA to appeal which is a lot harder than a ASA member saying to the Alberta courts that the CSA is not following the judgement and is breaking the law with threats. Anything that happens now is more expensive to the CSA in the courts and in front of Sports Canada and the Feds. All going well the saga of the CSA Perkie Boys running the show is over at the next CSA AGM with the new ASA board being the ones who pull open the trap door for the CSA who has already put the noose around their necks.

There is no doubt that Mike Traficante and Mario Charpentier are convinced that they will be able to get CSA to somehow blow this AGM's results up. EMSA's lack of input and interest in the AGM was unusual to say the least. The EMSA delegation's early departure during the elections and the discussion outside the doors after they left between Mike and the EMSA delegation was suspicious to say the least. There was also an animated discussion between Mario, Mike and a District rep that was partially overheard which verified that the CSA Executive is definitely taking steps to interfere in the ASA SGM results and this AGM (unless Mike is lying - who knows?). Suffice it to say that we can expect some sort of continuance of this, hopefully they will fail. Why they can't figure out that there doesn't exist any support for the CSA executive's and Mario's position. I think these guys have some unidentified mental affliction or something, it's beyond my comprehension. We know have a Board committed to moving forward with the collaboration and support of the ASA Districts. I certainly sensed at the meeting that with the exception of EMSA, the ASA members have a sincere desire to work together to fix this mess.

There is no doubt that Mike Traficante and Mario Charpentier are convinced that they will be able to get CSA to somehow blow this AGM's results up. EMSA's lack of input and interest in the AGM was unusual to say the least. The EMSA delegation's early departure during the elections and the discussion outside the doors after they left between Mike and the EMSA delegation was suspicious to say the least. There was also an animated discussion between Mario, Mike and a District rep that was partially overheard which verified that the CSA Executive is definitely taking steps to interfere in the ASA SGM results and this AGM (unless Mike is lying - who knows?). Suffice it to say that we can expect some sort of continuance of this, hopefully they will fail. Why they can't figure out that there doesn't exist any support for the CSA executive's and Mario's position. I think these guys have some unidentified mental affliction or something, it's beyond my comprehension. We know have a Board committed to moving forward with the collaboration and support of the ASA Districts. I certainly sensed at the meeting that with the exception of EMSA, the ASA members have a sincere desire to work together to fix this mess.

You know-this has always been about democracy and due process but mostly democracy. Billings was elected over mario and mario used a coup and CSA ignored democracy and due process to prop up mario. 2 SGMS and now an AGM where the will of the people of Alberta was overwhelmingly against mario and his goons. When will CSA get the message? The people of Alberta and the courts of Alberta have all ruled overhwelmingly agaisnt them-what will it take to get these guys to leave Alberta to pick who governs them??

This is all very good news! Congrats!

I'm curious about a couple of things I'm hoping someone could help with...

1) Were any of the "old guard" even nominated (e.g. Chen or Calvin)? or did EMSA or the Calgary districts nomintae anyone?

2) Were all Calgary districts represented and did they participate? Was Innis there as a delegate? I'm curious about the lack of Calgary representatives on the Board. I hope that they are mostly on board with things and the lack of district affilication of the new board members should hopefully go a long way to quell any fears of anti-Calgary feelings.

Given the other dicussion, maybe the next move would be the ED to send a letter signed by as many dsitrict preseidents as can be rounded up to each member of the CSA Board. The letter would indicate that these districts have the full support of the new Board. Not sure if it should also contain veiled or outright threats about what would happen if the new ASA Board is not recognized by CSA??? My hope is that a letter like this would give a spine to the neutral CSA Board members to speak/vote against any consideration of further interference with the ASA. Of course, there would be one district missing from the signatories letter.. but maybe this would server to put EMSA on an island and have CSA recognize that?

Just a thought...

I look forward to a futur ereturn to Alberta with a well organizaed soccer community fostering the success of FC Edmonton (2 road wins to start the season.. fantastic!) and hopefully a Calgary team in the future.

this is all very good news! Congrats!

I'm curious about a couple of things i'm hoping someone could help with...

1) were any of the "old guard" even nominated (e.g. Chen or calvin)? Or did emsa or the calgary districts nomintae anyone?

2) were all calgary districts represented and did they participate? Was innis there as a delegate? i'm curious about the lack of calgary representatives on the board. I hope that they are mostly on board with things and the lack of district affilication of the new board members should hopefully go a long way to quell any fears of anti-calgary feelings.

Given the other dicussion, maybe the next move would be the ed to send a letter signed by as many dsitrict preseidents as can be rounded up to each member of the csa board. The letter would indicate that these districts have the full support of the new board. Not sure if it should also contain veiled or outright threats about what would happen if the new asa board is not recognized by csa??? My hope is that a letter like this would give a spine to the neutral csa board members to speak/vote against any consideration of further interference with the asa. Of course, there would be one district missing from the signatories letter.. But maybe this would server to put emsa on an island and have csa recognize that?

Just a thought...

I look forward to a futur ereturn to alberta with a well organizaed soccer community fostering the success of fc edmonton (2 road wins to start the season.. Fantastic!) and hopefully a calgary team in the future.

All Calgary delegates were there-innes has been ousted by Cusa and was not there. CSF was not there-they rarely are. All executive were by acclamation. One Calgary person was up for director at large and she was good but in my opinion did not have the resume of the others. She did not win. It was troubleing to see CMSA totally detached but CUSa and CWSA were fully engaed-in fact i believe that the Cusa representative motioned to proceed with the election despite Traficantes words.

Lets hope Calgary gets more engaged in the future and i can advise that no one i talked to had any issues with Calgary. ASA is not about calgary-edmonton-the rurals etc just as CSA should not be about Alberta-ontario etc.

All Calgary delegates were there-innes has been ousted by Cusa and was not there. CSF was not there-they rarely are. All executive were by acclamation. One Calgary person was up for director at large and she was good but in my opinion did not have the resume of the others. She did not win. It was troubleing to see CMSA totally detached but CUSa and CWSA were fully engaed-in fact i believe that the Cusa representative motioned to proceed with the election despite Traficantes words.

Lets hope Calgary gets more engaged in the future and i can advise that no one i talked to had any issues with Calgary. ASA is not about calgary-edmonton-the rurals etc just as CSA should not be about Alberta-ontario etc.

Thanks! That is mostly good news and good to hear! Hopefuly CMSA will come around. The new Board has some work to do now after a very troubling year+

All the Best to them and hopefully the rest of this mess with CSA can soon be put to rest... fingers crossed!

Didn't see much in the way of hostility between the Calgary groups, quite the opposite in fact. Perhaps the absence of Mr. Innes had something to do with it. We'll all have to behave ourselves this year in Alberta with two senior referees on the Board or it's red cards for all!

Archived