La Liga Title Race

Barcelona - 99

Real Madrid - 96 points

Head to Head series: Leg 1 - Real 0-2 Barca; Leg 2 - Barca 1-0 Real

The race is on for one of the most prestigious league trophies on the planet.

Who is gonna edge who? Real or Barca?

With 5 games left each and Barca with a points edge and the Tiebreaker.

Now a quick breakdown the next 10 La Liga matches that will dictate the winner of the 09/10 La Liga.

Real Madrid

@ Real Zaragoza [16th] (last match 6-0 win); 2-1 win

v Osasuna [11th] (last match 0-0 draw) 3-2 win

@ Mallorca [4th] (last match 2-0 win) 4-1 win

v Athletic Bilbao [7th] (last match 1-0 loss) 5-1 win

@ Malaga [17th] (last match 2-0 win) 1-1 draw

Barcelona

v Xerez [20th] (last match 2-0 win) 3-1 win

@ Villarreal [6th] (last match 1-1 draw) 3-0 win

v Tenerife [18th] (last match 5-0 win) 4-1 win

@ Sevilla [5th] (last match 4-0 win) 3-2 win

v Valladolid [19th] (last match 3-0 win) 4-0 win

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts are Barca has the tougher test ahead over the next 5 games with having to go and play on the road against Villarreal and Sevilla, even though Real has Bilbao and Mallocra in their future one of those will be at Bernabeau, but if anyone can pull off enough points to keep Real at bay it's Messi and co. I do think real is gonna give Barca a run till the end and push them to limit I would not be surprised if the flip spots at least once more before seasons end.

Should be an exciting final few weeks in La Liga.

I think the biggest match is Mallorca v Madrid. Without CL to distract them I don't see Madrid dropping silly points in any of their other matches. But Mallorca have been great at home this season and if they win this, Barca would have to drop 5 points for Madrid to recover - not gonna happen.

Barca definitely the tougher run-in though. Even Xerez has been playing well lately, and all 5 opponents have everything to play for (either avoiding relegation or 4th CL spot, granted Valladolid might be relegated by the time Barca play them).

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad Real Madrid won, I don't this club and while I was watching Penguins - Canadians, I switched channels to see the last 5 minutes of the RM - Osasuna game and watch C. Ronaldo score.

I don't have any bad feeling against either Barca or Real, except that they are the type of teams I dislike in terms of buying championships. Yet, I want to see Real win it this year as it would be an overwhelming upset for Real.

If Real can win tomorrow in Mallorca the pressure shifts to Barca who would have to go into Sevilla and get 3 points so as not to give Real any sort of life line in the title chase.

Madrid have looked awful lately but somehow keep winning. Two of their last 3 matches they get late winners. :(

But if they keep playing this badly I don't think they can get all 3 points in Mallorca.

I'm hoping Real can take the title purely on the basis that I want to see what FC Barcelona will do if that happens, really they have been in unbelievable form especially Messi, if they were to bow out in Champions League and miss the title to Real who's form has been all peaks and valleys. Barca could have an eventful off season and transfer windows and as someone who has no personal stock in the La Liga thinks that is great as that sort of situation with the way City is spending and the way Liverpool will need to spend will make fore a fun and plentiful transfer window. I also believe the Spurs if they can get a Champions league birth will spend pretty handsomely as well

I'm hoping Real can take the title purely on the basis that I want to see what FC Barcelona will do if that happens, really they have been in unbelievable form especially Messi, if they were to bow out in Champions League and miss the title to Real who's form has been all peaks and valleys. Barca could have an eventful off season and transfer windows and as someone who has no personal stock in the La Liga thinks that is great as that sort of situation with the way City is spending and the way Liverpool will need to spend will make fore a fun and plentiful transfer window. I also believe the Spurs if they can get a Champions league birth will spend pretty handsomely as well

meh, I don't know if I really want to see this Barca team change that much. They are a pleasure to watch.

I just want Barca to win the title because Madrid hasn't beaten a really "big" team all season (lost twice to Barca, couldn't beat Milan or Lyon). They've just taken advantage of La Liga being fairly weak right now overall.

Okay... so Aduriz has scored early on for Mallorca. Game on!!

Whatever happens, win or lose the league, Barça is going to spend this summer. I think in a big way. Reason: we have presidential elections on June 13 and the new presi will want to make his mark. Look for big shake-ups in the front office too. Depends who wins the election, and how we do in the league, someone might even start questioning Guardiola.

Barça needs: another striker to pressure Ibra, preferably of the type a certain Eto'o; a quality midfielder with ball skills, turns out we only have two players like that on the whole team (gimme Gourcuff); a transitional player from mid to attack, we haven't had one in a while and need the alternative (Mata, Silva). That sounds like 80 million euros right there.

Odd how a 99 point season for Barcelona is gonna be sorta a disappointment as they will have only won it by one point on Real and lost against Inter in the Semi's in Champions league.

True, but not as disappointing as Madrid winning nothing after spending €250 million. :D

Winning the Champions League in the Bernabeu would've been sweet for any Barca fan though!

I am pleased by the attitude of Barça fans this year, fairly accepting and no silly back-biting. We have done well considering we did not have Iniesta healthy, Ibra was below standard, Henry did not exist, we had Alves out for a chunk of the year. Toure was not nearly as good, Abidal was injured after finally getting on form and Maxwell filled in admirably. But a pretty modest scene, playing with 8 academy players some games, with kids from the B team like Jeffren.

We were worse than last year, relied on Pedro and a brilliant Messi, and were still very close to a Champions final and should have the league. For once, instead of anxiety and mistrust and negativism, we are actually happy to be a team that somewhat resembles the versino that won six trophies in 2009.

I think we are going to take a big financial loss and sell Ibra. And watch for outgoing president Laporta buying players before the World Cup, tying the new presi's hands with the excuse that it is cheaper before than after.

Ibra was a terrible buy, especially since they bought him believing he would build on a career year instead of dropping back to his usual 15-17 goal performances of Juventus and first 2 years with Inter even with Ajax and Malmo he never eclipsed 20 goals.

Barca made a pretty big blunder on that deal, but selling him right away is not the right move. They just need to try and get some of that pressure of the transfer number off his back and let him be happy playing in the form he is accustomed to. Ibra isn't a total failure, he can still be a useful part of the starting XI if the wings stay healthy Messi and Pedro and the Midfield and bench contributes, I think Ibra can be a very effective big man for them and who knows maybe he cna get back to 20+ goals.

Ibra just doesn't fit Barca's system. I'm sure Juventus or some other Italian club would still be willing to plunk down a nice chunk of change for him. He's a good player just not right for Barca and I think other teams still recognize that.

Barça president Laporta has said he wants to buy now while things are cheap: so Villa and Cesc are immediately in the news. And today, after Laporta said that for Cesc to come he would have to show interest, he came out in a press conference saying his only choice after Arsenal was Barça, very clear statements. Villa for his part says he will move before or after the World Cup but not discuss a thing during.

Those two signings, if they happen are going to make Barcelona the strongest team in the world next year, no doubt about it.

To be honest I don't see Cesc leaving Emirates just yet.

Villa would be a perfect fit, but if they are looking for a bargain on him they will be mistaken. Teams in the EPL will be looking at Villa, I have a suspicion Tevez is sold and they turn around and throw a whole lotta dollars at Villa to replace Tevez at City.

As much as they missed out on Champions league, money talks...

I agree entirely, I can't see either being worth less than 50 million euros, that would be a minimum even. But 60 might be about right, a lot of money but it has been done before.

What do you do before the World Cup, sell your players before or hope they shine in the Cup and sell afterwards? Sell while someone wants to buy, or wait until you have a whole bunch of players in the market after a strong Cup? I would think, given the way things normally go, that you don't sell before, you speculate and sell after. And I am talking in general here, not just Barça, I think it is better to speculate than to go for the sure deal at a possibly lower price. Because the soccer market is wildly speculative.

I think they will buy Villa. A world class player who not only is (and has been for over half a decade) amazing, but very consistant. The fact that players who don't player for the "big ten" in Europe are always underrated is perhaps something I will never understand. Check out Milito this year. He's been knocking them in since coming to Europe (including a boat load for my beloved Zaragoza, who Villa also played for btw...), but only now at Inter do a great many consider him true class. Absolute BS.

Villa fits in to the Barca system 100 times better than Ibra, and on top of that he doesn't need an arm around the shoulder 24/7. I think that Suarez from Ajax would also be an outstanding fit.

As for Fabregas, I really think that it's a question of when and not where. He has said countless times that the only other club for him (Gunners aside) is Barca. I think that the time is now to be honest. The only thing that can be said against it is that he may be on the bench at times when Xavi and Iniesta are healthy. Realistically though, that's often not the case, and with the 50 + games they'll be playing, formation changes and combinations, Iniesta's ability to play at the top left, Xavi's age, and so forth, I don't see this being a problem.

I think they will buy Villa. A world class player who not only is (and has been for over half a decade) amazing, but very consistant. The fact that players who don't player for the "big ten" in Europe are always underrated is perhaps something I will never understand. Check out Milito this year. He's been knocking them in since coming to Europe (including a boat load for my beloved Zaragoza, who Villa also played for btw...), but only now at Inter do a great many consider him true class. Absolute BS.

Villa fits in to the Barca system 100 times better than Ibra, and on top of that he doesn't need an arm around the shoulder 24/7. I think that Suarez from Ajax would also be an outstanding fit.

As for Fabregas, I really think that it's a question of when and not where. He has said countless times that the only other club for him (Gunners aside) is Barca. I think that the time is now to be honest. The only thing that can be said against it is that he may be on the bench at times when Xavi and Iniesta are healthy. Realistically though, that's often not the case, and with the 50 + games they'll be playing, formation changes and combinations, Iniesta's ability to play at the top left, Xavi's age, and so forth, I don't see this being a problem.

I can't see Villa being underrated, IMO he should be the most sought after forward by any team in his price range. David Villa is the anchor for Spain up front. David Villa is arguably one of the best strikers int he world I have him in my top 5 for sure. I think once he is sold to one of the Giants of Europe. He could garner a footballer of the year award I think he has that kind of potential if on a Barcelona.

Though I have a strong feeling ManCity is gonna be all over him if Tevez leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived