Canucks in Germany - April 2010 Edition

Guest Ed

Preview of Weekend games:

Friday

Due to Good Friday, no Bundesliga games scheduled.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Borussia Moenchengladbach (9W-7D-12L - 34 pts - 12th) have a tough one, visiting VfB Stuttgart (11W-8D-9L - 41 pts - 7th) who just came off a major upset of Bayern last weekend. Friend starting up front with Matmour.

With Mohamed back from his accumulated yellow card suspension, McKenna likely on the bench, as FC Koeln (7W-10D-11L - 31 pts - 13th) host last place Hertha Berlin (4W-7D-17L - 19 pts - 18th) in the late game on Saturday.

Sunday

Bundesliga 1

No games involving Canucks.

Bundesliga 2

Energie Cottbus (9W-7D-12L - 34pts - 12th) are away to 1860 Muenchen (12W-5D-11L - 41 pts - 7th) with Adam Straith starting at right back.

FSV Frankfurt (7W-8D-13L- 29 pts - 16th) host Arminia Bielefeld (14W-4D-10L - 42 pts* - 6th) with Nik Ledgerwood starting again.

Monday

Bundesliga 2

FC St Pauli (17W-4D-7L- 55 pts - 2nd) are away to Fortuna Duesseldorf (13W-7D-8L - 46 pts - 4th). Status of JBB a game day decision.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moenchengladbach go ahead 1-0 in the first half but are unable to hold off VfB Stuttgart and go down 2-1. Rob Friend subbed off with 15 to go in the half.

Kevin McKenna does start, at right back, but FC Koeln are down 1-0 to visitors Hertha Berlin 25 minutes in.

In lower league action, Thursday, Riley O'Neill was a late 2nd half sub for SV Wilhelmshaven in a loss in the Regional League Nord and likewise for Massey Wassih for FC Schalke reserves in the Regional League West. No sign of Gianluca Zavarise for Bochum reserves or Alex Elliott for Mainz 05 reserves also in the Regional League West, all played today. Jonathan Bourgault-Beaulieu likely with the senior FC St Pauli team this weekend as he did not play with the reserves yesterday.

Another win for Energie Cottbus as they down hosts 1860 2-1 today, Adam Straith going 90 again. Nik Ledgerwood of FSV Frankfurt taken off with 20 minutes to go down 2-1 to Arminia Bielefeld and that is how it ends.

McKenna and company lose 3-0 yesterday afternoon.

He's the man we have to cap NOW!

Sure but its not that urgent... let him earn it. I haven't seen him play in a few months but if he is playing better than the other canadian defenders around the world call him up. Same with Attakora and Edgar

I'm just saying that Straith has racked up 1770 mins. in 2nd Bundasliga 2009-2010 season to date.

Ledgerwood sits at 1097 mins. while BB has played 38 minutes in Bund. 2 and 1130 in 4th division.

In Bundasliga 1 Mckenna has hit 1064 mins., Friend at 1010 and Stalteri has played a whopping 218

minutes this season. In England Edgar has managed 1261 minutes of play in 5 different competitions

including 241 in premier and 542 mins. at reserves. Straith has obviously proven his worth to his mid-table

second div. German team and I just hope he doesn't get looked over because of his age.

He is without a doubt the Cdn pro player of the 2009/2010 season for me in Germany and should be given an opportunity this summer.

I'm just saying that Straith has racked up 1770 mins. in 2nd Bundasliga 2009-2010 season to date.

Ledgerwood sits at 1097 mins. while BB has played 38 minutes in Bund. 2 and 1130 in 4th division.

In Bundasliga 1 Mckenna has hit 1064 mins., Friend at 1010 and Stalteri has played a whopping 218

minutes this season. In England Edgar has managed 1261 minutes of play in 5 different competitions

including 241 in premier and 542 mins. at reserves. Straith has obviously proven his worth to his mid-table

second div. German team and I just hope he doesn't get looked over because of his age.

I agree especially with all these question marks these days (Serioux, Hastings, Cann) I think those guys days are numbered with Edgar, Straith and Attakora all playing regularly that was really the only thing holding them out of the mens team. Hart would have some explaining to do if a guy like Hastings or Cann was called above any of them now

I didn't realize Edgar played that many minutes actually it seems like all of the german guys play a lot more than him

Sure but its not that urgent... let him earn it. I haven't seen him play in a few months but if he is playing better than the other canadian defenders around the world call him up. Same with Attakora and Edgar

If you include Hainault at Houston, then you have more competition for the RB position and that's what we need in both the short term and the longer term. So I guess Hart will decide which player or players fit into his scheme for that position or for the defence in general.

I agree especially with all these question marks these days (Serioux, Hastings, Cann) I think those guys days are numbered with Edgar, Straith and Attakora all playing regularly that was really the only thing holding them out of the mens team. Hart would have some explaining to do if a guy like Hastings or Cann was called above any of them now

I didn't realize Edgar played that many minutes actually it seems like all of the german guys play a lot more than him

Almost half of Edgar's reported minutes were Reserves matches, which are hardly worth noting.

Friday

Bundesliga 1

Borussia Moenchengladbach (9W-7D-13L - 34 pts - 12th) host surprising Eintracht Frankfurt (12W-8D -9L - 44 pts - 8th) Friday night. Rob Friend is injured and Paul Stalteri likely not in the game day 18 man roster.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Kevin McKenna set to start again for FC Koeln (7W-10D-12L - 31pts -13th) as they are away to the Village People TSG Hoffenheim (9W-7D-13L - 34pts - 11th). McKenna in at centre back for the suspended Mohamed. A win would ease any relegation worries.

Bundesliga 2

Energie Cottbus (10W-7D-12L - 37 pts - 10th) host Fortuna Duesseldorf (14W-7D-8L - 49pts - 4th) with Adam Straith looking to take a centre back position for the game. A win by Cottbus would push them into the top half of the table.

Sunday

Bundesliga 2

FSV Frankfurt (7W-8D-14L - 29 pts - 16th) host Rot-Weiss Oberhausen (11W-4D-14L - 37 pts - 13th). Nik Ledgerwood is expected to be on the bench for that game.

Monday

FC St Pauli (17W-4D-8L - 55 pts - 2nd) host FC Augsburg (15W-9D-5L - 54pts - 3rd). No lineups as yet for the clash for 2nd place overall.

Regarding Straith, Cottbus' usual starting left CB has broken his hand so Straith moves back to his natural position for at least one game and possibly more. This is probably good for the national team because depending who else is called it may be advantageous to play him at either CB or RB so it is good to see him getting some pro experience at CB as well.

I already mentioned that Straight did a good job as he played in K´town with Cottbus. I think he deserved to get a call for the MNT. Only thing I see, he should improve his offensivly game. But as he is still young, playing his first professional season, he and his coach Wollitz should work on it. Then I see good possibilities for him also playing Bundesliga.

Gladbach out in front of Frankfurt 2-0 with just minutes to go. Both Statleri (not selected) and Friend (injured) are out of the lineup for the hosts.

Gladbach out in front of Frankfurt 2-0 with just minutes to go. Both Statleri (not selected) and Friend (injured) are out of the lineup for the hosts.

Is this Stalteri contract last year? If it is, it could be a good time for him to come back to North America to get some playing time considering he hasn't been able to get many with BM this season.

^ Acccording to transfermarkt.de, which is usually pretty reliable on contracts of Bundesliga 1 or 2 players, he was signed thru to June 2011. He could probably negotiate a release if he wants to try another club.

In lower league action today:

Regional League Nord

Riley O'Neill goes 90 minutes up front for SV Wilhelmshaven in a 2-1 loss to VfB Luebeck.

Regional League West

Gianluca Zavarise gets his first start in a long time for VfL Bochum reserves and he promptly scores on 13 minutes, leading his team to a 1-0 win over SC Bonner (Maycoll Canizales played the first half for the losing side). Massey Wassih not in the game today for Schalke's reserves as they are beaten by FC Saarbruecken.

Archived