What? No Seattle-Chelsea thread?

ottawaguy2009

Did anybody watch this game? 65 thousand fans. incredible. awesome showcasing for our game. wish the sounders could have pulled off an upset. let's see what tfc and dc can do to madrid. hopefully serioux is better for that game. he takes no prisoners. some of the guys might get a little starstruck. we all know serioux will tackle anyone. get that knee healed up man.

I had a very busy Saturday watching the TFC game then the MNT game. Just too much to do before and after to justify watching a 3rd game. Caught the hightlights on TV Sunday.

Glad to see them pack the house! Good for the game to have the Pacific northwest trio in the MLS soon.

One question I have is did they bring in grass for the game? I would assume yes for Chelsea.

The result was never in doubt but to their credit the Sounders did test them.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

One question I have is did they bring in grass for the game? I would assume yes for Chelsea.

Yes, they did bring in real grass at a cost of US $100,000. They will do the same for the Seattle - Barca match next week (why don't they ust leave the same grass there for two weeks though? hmmm... )

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

The most significant thing about this game was the composition of the crowd. Even in the upper decks it was mostly a sea of green. The snobs and bandwagon hoppers were sorely outnumbered.

I went to the Chelsea-Milan match in Baltimore and all the Chelsea fans I encountered were actually English or Russian. Quite a few glory-hunters wearing AC Milan colours but the Chelsea fans are pretty much all real (It will be interesting to see where all those Milan "fans" disappear to in the next 5 years as Serie "A" continues to weaken [8D]).

It's interesting to note that more people attended the Seattle-Chelsea match than the total attendance for Seattle in 2008. So an argument could be made that the people wearing green were more plastic than those wearing blue. It's not like they go out to watch their home-team every week. Or every year for that matter...

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yes, they did bring in real grass at a cost of US $100,000. They will do the same for the Seattle - Barca match next week (why don't they ust leave the same grass there for two weeks though? hmmm...

By the time they install the grass, it's already dead.

That grass would have been brown and brittle if it stayed on top of the FieldTurf for two weeks.

Archived