Impact-Syria (R)

I won't put the result in the title for all of those who want to watch the video afterwards! :D There were something like 5 400 fans tonight of which slighlty under 5000 were for Syria. We played a B team similar to the one we played against TFC in the Canadian championship. Syria took the lead 1-0 which pleased the crowd. The Syrian team was horrible even compared to the crappy team we had on the field. We came back and won 2-1 which was satisfying given the ignorance/arrogance of the Syrian fans. The level of this game was below what it would be if our B team played one of the new USL 1 teams like Austin. Syria is an absolutely terrible national team, they would probably be in last place in the USL.

The Montreal Impact posted a 2-1 (Halftime 0-1) victory over the Syrian national team, Wednesday, at Saputo Stadium, as part of its second international friendly match of the season.

“We knew that Syria was a team able to circulate the ball well and they caused many problems this way,” noted head coach Marc Dos Santos.

“However, the club gradually came back during the match and adapted. We were able to build on our opportunities and this is what we need to do in our league games. I want to congratulate the two new players trying out [Ciaran O'Brien and Tyler Rosenlund] for their work and for helping us score.”

Syria opened the scoring in the 9th minute of play. After a cross from Syrian midfielder Wael Ayan, Impact defender Hicham Aaboubou scored an own goal, accidentally deflecting the ball past goalkeeper Srdjan Djekanovic to his left.

“This was definitely a tough match since it was against a national team, but we are a team that needs to work hard in every game,” mentioned midfielder Sandro Grande. “We did that tonight and we won. It felt good to score two goals. I think we've played well in a number of games this year, but we didn’t get the desired result. I’m confident that if we score goals, our defense will help us win matches.”

Tony Donatelli scored the equalizing goal in the second half (66th minute). On the play, midfielder Ciaran O'Brien's shot was stopped by Syrian goalkeeper Mosab Balhous, but Donatelli pounced on the rebound and took a low shot that beat Balhous to his left.

The Impact scored the game-winning goal in the 78th minute. Midfielder Tyler Rosenlund crossed to Felix Brilliant, who jumped into the air and headed the ball into the top corner, beating Balhous to his left.

Impact goalkeeper Srdjan Djekanovic played the full 90 minutes. He faced 15 shots and made 7 saves. The Impact took 9 shots, with Mosab Balhous registering 5 saves.

Montreal defenders Hicham Aaboubou and Elkana Mayard also played the full 90 minutes

http://montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1180&Focus=0

No. And I don't think the Syrian fans came as arrogant (except the 6 teens that tried to set up shop behind the kop before getting kicked out of the section). It was a fun and friendly atmosphere. A good thing, since this was a friendly game.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I won't put the result in the title for all of those who want to watch the video afterwards! :D There were something like 5 400 fans tonight of which slighlty under 5000 were for Syria. We played a B team similar to the one we played against TFC in the Canadian championship. Syria took the lead 1-0 which pleased the crowd. The Syrian team was horrible even compared to the crappy team we had on the field. We came back and won 2-1 which was satisfying given the ignorance/arrogance of the Syrian fans. The level of this game was below what it would be if our B team played one of the new USL 1 teams like Austin. Syria is an absolutely terrible national team, they would probably be in last place in the USL.

I don't really get it - if the Impact are so well supported, why are virtually none of their fans coming out to these friendly matches? Other clubs play friendlies, and while they may get fans of the visiting team, they are not the entire audience. What gives?

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

No. And I don't think the Syrian fans came as arrogant (except the 6 teens that tried to set up shop behind the kop before getting kicked out of the section). It was a fun and friendly atmosphere. A good thing, since this was a friendly game.

Actually since my comment here was quoted on Impactsoccer.com and caused some controversy there I will clarify it here as well. What I meant about the Syrians being ignorant and arrogant was first of all they seemed to have little soccer culture and cheered their team like they scored any time they even touched the ball, ie. guy makes successful backpass to keeper=wild cheering. That in itself is fine but then whenever an Impact player would touch the ball they booed. I have no problem with our rival team fans booing our players but this is a friendly match between teams with no rivalry and the majority of Syrians there are Montrealais as well as being of Syrian ethnicity. I find it to be in very poor taste to boo the professional soccer team of the city you live in because they are playing a friendly against the national team of the country you or your parents were born in.

Archived