CSL 2009, Week 8

Result of the Saturday July 4, 2009 CSL game between North York Astros and St Catharines Wolves played at DownsviewPark in North York at 3:00pm.

2 min…Wolves Scott MacLennan GOAL…MacLennan is touched back ball and he blasts 25 yard shot to top right corner of net beyond goalie Arthur Zaslavski.

41 min…Wolves Matthew Stillman GOAL…Stillman gets low pass from near right corner flag and blasts low 13 yard shot into left side of net.

43 min…Astros Stefan Zlatanov GOAL…Zlatanov on left takes low 12 yard shot under diving goalie Tony Visca into middle of net.

93 min…Astros (Wolves own goal) GOAL…Astros Diego Benzi blasts 50 yard freekick down middle and Wolves Joe Conte jumps to block and heads 25 yarder into top right corner of own net.

94 min…game ends.

Final Score:…North York Astros………2…………..St Catharines Wolves………….2…………….

Attendance was about 100 on this hot, sunny day with a strong breeze from the west. This game had been scheduled all along at DownsviewPark at the beginning of the season and was not moved to this federally owned site because of the City of Toronto workers strike.

Astros dominated the second half partly aided by the strong wind which kept the Wolves pinned into their own end. My friend Kris said he counted 11 corner kicks for the Astros. The goalie didn’t take goal kicks in the second half maybe in fear of blowback but let a defender take them off to the side. The last half seemed to last forever as the Wolves tried to hold on. Astros had at least two goals called back as offside. Astros Diego Benzi took almost all of the spot kicks.

Referee John Oliva gave out a few Yellow cards but the game wasn’t particularly rough.

Wolves were missing five starters for this game said their manager Armand DiFruscio after the game. Goalie Claudio Perri, defender Joseph DelPriore, midfielder Tony Mermigas, forward Carlo Arghittu, and Rudi Pukzinski (sp?) were not here today. DiFruscio said that four of the five were attending four different weddings. None of them were the grooms!

The tie was the first point of the season earned by the Astros after five straight losses. Their defense was stabilized by the return of defender Kurt Ramsey breaking up numerous Wolves plays in the first half and also getting to some headers on Astros free kicks and cornerkicks to send them into the Wolves box. Jarek Whiteman was another added player who stirred things up offensively.

The Astros had been featured on the last three Rogers Community TV broadcasts (and will be next week as well) probably because their schedule conveniently is mostly Saturday afternoon games which Rogers can edit and apply to a two hour Saturday night timeslot.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Sunday July 5th, 2009 CSL game between Brampton Lions and TorontoCroatia played at Victoria Park in Brampton at 3:00pm.

22 min…TC Tomislav Ples rush to through ball on right and Lions Joao Ferreira pulls him down. Referee Justin Tasev awards a Penalty kick and also gives Ferreira a Yellow card.

24 min…TC Hayden Fitzwilliams blasts Penalty kick to left corner and goalie Kevin Doyle flies to push ball wide left of net and defenders clear.

26 min…Lions RED card…Alex Arbelo earns a direct objection for an elbow to the face of TC Jonathan Bustamante in center circle. Daniel Nascimento takes over as captain.

63 min…Croatia Tihomir Maletic GOAL…TC Hayden Fitzwilliams cross from 30 yards on left has Maletic head 10 yarder that bounces into low left corner of net beyond goalie Kevin Doyle.

80 min…Croatia RED card…Tomislav Skara earns his second Yellow card in 9 minutes as he pushes over Lions Daniel Nascimento at TC 22 yard line when Lions took a quick freekick for Nascimento to break in.

92 min…Lions RED card…Daniel Nascimento earns his second Yellow card for pushing TC Tonci Pirija at Lions 50 yard line after Pirija won ball. Pirija earned a Yellow card for his pushing back after whistle was blown.

94 min…game ends.

Final Score:………….Brampton Lions………….0……………TorontoCroatia…………..1………..

Attendance was about 350 on this hot, sunny day with a nice breeze. Rogers Community Channel was filming this game for broadcast in the Brampton area on Monday at 7:00pm.

This was an exciting game with Lions playing well playing short a mean for more than two thirds of the game. Both Lions who took Red cards were the captains of their team at that time of the game. They both are usually the main scoring threats for Lions in their games.

After the game I saw Lions David Guzman who wasn’t listed in today’s game. He was interviewed at halftime by the Rogers commentators but was out of earshot. He said he wasn’t playing as he injured his hamstring ten days ago and is expecting to be ready to play by this upcoming Friday.

Referee Justin Tasev had to give out many cards for the rough play in today’s game but some of the cards were for stupid things like kicking the ball away after a whistle or quickly kicking a ball at the nearest opposing player on a freekick so that player would be carded for not giving ten yards.

Goalie Sandi Matika earned the shutout for TorontoCroatia with a few key saves. Sven Arapovic crossed in many balls into the Lions box for Croatia and Hayden Fitzwilliams passed into the Lions box enough times that they could have put the game out of reach comfortably and avoid the nail biting finish.

Croatia Mario Pupic returned to Croatia (the country) and won’t be coming back. The team has given his #11 jersey and midfield spot to Ivan Zgela who is just got here from Croatia (the country) and was a substitute this afternoon but subbed in at 62 minutes—just a minute before the only goal.

Velimir Crljen is the head coach of TorontoCroatia this year. I asked him after the game to clarify. He was the head coach for the first two games of the year and then he left for Europe for a holiday and Milodrag Akmadzic coached for the team through its next four games. Both were themselves players for many years for TorontoCroatia.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Sunday July 5, 2009 CSL game between Portugal FC and TFC Academy played at Brockton Stadium in Toronto at 7:00pm.

33 min…TFCA Daniel Calabretta GOAL…Calabretta beats charging goalie Adrian Ibanez to ball at 22 yards on right and boots shot low to left corner of net over sliding goalie at 16 yards.

70 min…Portugal FC Ramon Bailey GOAL…PFC player’s freekick from left is partially cleared but Bailey’s 22 yard low shot is through crowd of players with goalie Soitrir Varlokostas trapped 10 yards out and ball goes into low center of net.

92 min…TFCA Justin Maheu GOAL…Maheu gets through ball up middle from 40 yards and slides 20 yard shot under goalie into center of net. Maheu earns a Yellow card for pulling off his shirt and leaving it in the PFC end.

95 min…game ends 8:55pm.

Final Score:………..Portugal FC…………..1………….TFC Academy……………..2…………..

Attendance was about 125 on this hot evening with a bright sun setting in the North West. This game was held at Brockton Stadium in downtown Toronto because of the City of Toronto workers strike. Both Portugal FC and TFC Academy hold their home games at Lamport Stadium which was less than 5 km from here. Brockton used to be the home stadium of Portugal as recently as two years ago. It has no scoreboard as always and people who live across the street can watch from their porches. The grass pitch was in fairly good shape (their were times over past years when it was unplayable). There are locker rooms once again under the stands (players used to have to change at the school across the street over the years) as the tenants are the SCPT “Sporting Clube Portugues de Toronto”. The gates were open under the stands for the washroom and it looked like the rooms were going to be painted but there were neither toilets nor running water. I pretended to not know where the urinals would possibly drain to.

The Academy team had more chances throughout the game. Allando Matheson may have worn the # 9 of big team Danny Dichio but he played more like Pablo Vitti or Chad Barrett missing chances while on one on ones. He was subbed at 85 minutes to make room for game winning scorer Justin Maheu. Maheu must be a new player because he wasn’t listed in last week’s game.

Portugal FC brought on head coach Danny Amaral as a sub at 74 minutes to try and get the winning goal. He set up some shots for teammates who couldn’t convert these chances. Amaral had to retire at the end of the last year because of various knee operations had taken their toll. Tony Maia was formerly listed as the manager AND head coach for today’s game. Why the team pressed for a winning goal and was caught a few times short at the back putting a great strain on their defense is hard to understand.

Referee’s assistant Steve Senderovich was a busy man today because he was the fourth official in the Brampton Lions vs. Toronto Croatia game that had ended just two hours earlier. One other CSL game started at 5:00pm with Serbian White Eagles traveling to Maple to beat Italia Shooters 5-1. Dave Barrie was the referee in this game and had to give out a few Yellow cards for a chippy game but was more likely to call a lot of freekicks.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Serbian White Eagles 5 - Vaughn Italia Shooters 1

Serbia jumped out to a 2-0 lead midway through the 1st half thanks to goals by central midfielders Adrijan Tismenar (25th min) and Uros Stamatovic (29th min). Late in the first half, SWE found a 3rd goal. I was distracted by my 4 year old so I missed the goal. The announcer at St. Joan of Arc field announced that the goal was scored by Alex Braletic but the CSL website claims it was scored by Kiril Dimitrov. Regardless, it was 3-0 at half.

I think the Shooters' head coach was ejected at halftime for arguing with the ref because at the start of the 2nd half, Shooters owner Tony DeThomasis was on the sideline organizing the team and the guy I thought was their coach was sitting near me in the stands.

The 2nd half started off very slugishly. The two teams struggled to maintain possession. Neither team seemed to be able to connect more than 2-3 passes together for the first 10-12 minutes. However, around the 60th minute, SWE star midfielder Sasa Viciknez floated a lovely cross from the left side of the 18 yard box to a wide open striker Dragan Radovic but he somehow missed a wide open net, instead lofting it over the crossbar. However, Radovic would not be held off the scoresheet for long. At 76 minutes, Radovic scored a lovely goal, sliding to connect with another cross coming in from the left flank.

Shooters' responded almost immediately with a goal by Blake Ordell in the 78th minute.

Shane Lammie made his debut for SWE today and it marked his return to the CSL after a nasty injury last season required major surgery and ultimately laid him up in hospital for a few weeks. He entered the game with about 20 minutes to go in the 2nd half and he promptly found the back of the net at the 80th minute to make it 5-1 for SWE.

All in all, a good win for SWE, who has been struggling with their consistency early in this season. Today, they overmatched the Shooters significantly. Next week, they meet the Astros at Esther Shiner. Will the dominant White Eagles make an appearance or will they fail to get up for that game??? time will tell.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Interesting news on the TFC front. I want to see who's going to be the "next" Attakora, but to actually break it through from the academy team. Matheson seemed like an early favorite, hope he can keep it up.

Matheson and Stamopolous are the two most impressive offensive players on this edition of TFC-A.

Matheson is a man-child. Think of Lebron James except shorter. Quick and strong with decent ball skill.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Risky for the CSL because the reason they were so accommodating in the first place is probably because it is by no means certain that players will actually opt for the CSL team if forced to choose.

I agree but at some point, they need to stand on their own two feet.

Risky for the CSL because the reason they were so accommodating in the first place is probably because it is by no means certain that players will actually opt for the CSL team if forced to choose.

How can it be risky for CSL? if they take steps towards loyalty to the league, that can never be wrong. They have to get rid of the mercenaries that go around from one club to the other and never giving loyal effort to any of those clubs.

I'm all for it and if this means that some penny seekers won't return to the league, well so be it, they're not doing anything to improve soccer in Canada anyway.

How can it be risky for CSL? if they take steps towards loyalty to the league, that can never be wrong. They have to get rid of the mercenaries that go around from one club to the other and never giving loyal effort to any of those clubs.

I'm all for it and if this means that some penny seekers won't return to the league, well so be it, they're not doing anything to improve soccer in Canada anyway.

^ totally agree.

the best thing the league can do is:

a) make affiliations with youth clubs mandatory, specifically the type of integrated affiliation that exists between Brampton and Dixie (simply because that is the one I know best). Affiliations need to be about developing players and coaches, not simply obligating youth clubs to sell tickets on behalf of the CSL team.

B) eliminate affiliation agreements with other amateur teams (I actually run an amateur team that is affiliated to SWE but I would rather have fielded the team in the CSL Reserve League rather than in the OSL)

c) Drop the franchise fee (while, at the same time, increasing the security bond significantly) below the PDL franchise fee level so that more markets can feasibly enter the league and bring high level senior soccer to more parts of the province.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Matheson and Stamopolous are the two most impressive offensive players on this edition of TFC-A.

Matheson is a man-child. Think of Lebron James except shorter. Quick and strong with decent ball skill.

Too bad these two were cut by our U17s, then we struggled to score goals. would we have been better off with these two instead of the Euro-based players?

Technically Amadou Sanyang will be the first TFC-A player to step up on August 1st. Could definitely see why he is rated highly in the game against Toronto Croatia.

Where Eric's post is concerned, once money becomes involved a lot of players will inevitably start to have a mercenary attitude. The potential problem arises if top OSL teams wind up being able to attract those players when a choice has to be made. Then you could have a London City sort of scenario in the GTA as well where the lower status league has a number of higher quality teams and the higher status league becomes devalued in the eyes of most of the local soccer community. Not familiar enough with soccer in the GTA to know the realities of the situation but have heard rumours (admittedly a bit dated now) over the years of what can potentially be available in that context that might surprise people.

I believe the CSL is at a make it or brake it point, which will be determined in the next couple of years, depending on how serious the owners are about the sport. I've been hearing voices lately about people with real interest in being part of a pro or semi pro Canadian league. Obviously the way the league has been conducted will not attract any of these people with real interest, but if the league starts doing things properly and as professional as possible, then and only then I think we will start seeing all-around interest.

They have to make the CSL a priority for players who want to step it up from the senior amateur teams to a semi professional environment and maybe a fully professional one in a not so distance future. I think is time for the owners with no money to step away from the league and open the doors to people with deep pockets and real interest to come in and take the league to the next level. The fantasy league days has to end for the fake owners with no knowledge and no money who have been ruling in the league for much too long already.

Can definitely see where you are coming from but I suspect it may already be too late in the day because the USL is the more sensible route in business terms if you are not inside the Toronto Lynx or Montreal Impact's protected franchise territory. The missed opportunity was not having the top NSL teams like Italia and Croatia as part of the original CSL. That league might just about have been able to hang in there through the early 90s recession by using the Windsor-Quebec corridor as a core area with a once per season roadtrip out to BC to face a couple of Vancouver area teams if there had been two or three more teams with a bit of spectator and sponsor interest in the Golden Horseshoe and if travel expenses could have been shared out equitably. When the Blizzard, Impact and 86ers hooked up with the APSL because all that was left was the Winnipeg Fury and North York Rockets it was game over for a national pro setup in a Canadian context, in my opinion.

Can definitely see where you are coming from but I suspect it may already be too late in the day because the USL is the more sensible route in business terms if you are not inside the Toronto Lynx or Montreal Impact's protected franchise territory.

I don't really have any argument with the rest of your above post. You are right.

However, the USL may appear from the outside to be a sensible route in business terms but, in truth, that entire organization is in serious trouble. People in the know describe it as a fiscal basketcase. PDL is the only viable element of the whole business.

CSL needs to undercut PDL. if the CSL comes in offering a more integrated program right out of the box at a significantly lower entry fee, the CSL becomes incredibly relevant to the groups who might be flirting with PDL.

PDL was what I mainly had in mind given the way that London, Thunder Bay and Victoria teams seem to be doing well in that context. Think it goes without saying that USL-D1 will be scaling back a bit once the Whitecaps, Timbers and hopefully the Impact have left when you consider these 2008 announced attendance numbers:-

http://www.soccercityusa.com/2008uslatt.html

Montreal Impact 12,696

Portland Timbers 8,567

Rochester Rhinos 7,313

Vancouver Whitecaps 4,999

Puerto Rico Islanders 4,423

Carolina Railhawks 3,869

Charleston Battery 3,995

Minnesota Thunder 3,573

Seattle Sounders 3,386

Atlanta Silverbacks$B"w(B 2,281

Miami FC Blues 1,701

but they still have the USL-D2 scale of operations model to fall back on.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

How can the Italia Shooters have three teams in the reserve division, a team in the OSL and then take four or five players from Real Toronto every game? How can you take a league seriously when in the middle of the season the Astros are holding open try-outs to recruit players.

I have watched a couple of games on Rogers TV and the quality of play in the CSL has really gone down. The Astros would get relegated from the OSL if they were in the league.

What needs to happen is the league should affiliate with the youth clubs and like the PDL have a limit to the number of players over 25. Soccer gypsies looking for a couple of extra bucks willing to play for anyone as you said Eric is not helping the CSL.

but they still have the USL-D2 scale of operations model to fall back on.

that model is bleeding money too, apparently, but obviously less money is being lost so it seems that doing things at the USL2 level seems the only logical way forward.

quote:Originally posted by SR

Soccer gypsies looking for a couple of extra bucks willing to play for anyone as you said Eric is not helping the CSL.

Exactly, but I'm hearing next year the CSL is planning to change that and not allow affiliations with senior amateur clubs any more and that will be a step in the right direction IMO.

The Shooters are the "HEAVEN CLUB" for mercenary players in the GTA and the Astros are back to their modus operandum and reality check mode.

Archived