Pellerud to T&T

fishman

Dobson just reported that Pellerud has accepted a four-year deal to coach the Trinidad & Tobago Women's Program...Canadian Press's article below:

Former Canadian coach Even Pellerud takes job in Trinidad and Tobago

Former Canadian women's coach Even Pellerud has a new job — director of women's soccer for Trinidad and Tobago.

The Norwegian native has signed a four-year contract with the Caribbean country, with Job 1 to lead the host side at the FIFA U17 Women's World Cup next year.

"My aim is to take this team out of the first round and into the quarter-final stages of the competition," Pellerud said in a statement Friday.

FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, a native of Trinidad and Tobago and special adviser to the country's football federation, said the TTFF had "hired the No. 1 and best female coach in the world."

Pellerud, 55, came to Canada in 2000 with a distinguished resume, having coached Norway to the 1995 Women's World Cup title.

Canada finished fourth at the 2003 World Cup under Pellerud and made the quarter-finals in the Beijing Olympics. The 2-1 extra-time loss in Shanghai to the eventual gold medallist Americans was Pellerud's last game in charge,

"He's done so much for this program," captain Christine Sinclair said at the time. "He's changed all our lives."

Pellerud brought professionalism to the Canadian women's scene. Away from the field, he helped secure funding that allowed the team to live together in a residency camp in Vancouver before major tournaments.

"It has been a wonderful nine years for me and my family and the program," he said at the Olympics. "There has been continual development of the team and for women's soccer in Canada. "

As a player in Norway, Pellerud had stints with Vlerenga Oslo and Kongsvinger. He earned one cap with Norway's Olympic team in 1983.

In Trinidad, Pellerud said he will be hiring a full-time female coach.

The new coach will have a way to go. Trinidad is ranked 41st in the FIFA's women's rankings, compared to No. 11 for Canada. But with a powerful benefactor like Warner behind the scenes, soccer gets plenty of attention in Trinidad.

Warner, who is also president of the CONCACAF region which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean, says the cost of running all TTFF programs, excluding the South Africa 2010 men's World Cup campaign, is approximately C$3.2 million. That's $800,000 more than Canada spent on its senior men's program last year.

Warner's assessment of Pellerud: that the TTFF had "hired the No. 1 and best female coach in the world."

"In Trinidad, Pellerud said he will be hiring a full-time female coach."

----

It's a really good move and fit for him. Life's too short... and it's a whole new world for everyone, and with so many new options and opportunities to craft excellence.

^ I don't think I've ever met a coach who didn't want anything but the best for their players. The problem is where they factor their own well-being into the equation, and what that costs the whole as a result. Let's just say he's no Che Guevara.

Great first three years, professionalized and got results.

By the fourth year he had lost the edge and things had outgrown him, and had the women's game been truly professionalized like he preached he would have been removed after the Mexico loss in 2004. At worst he should have been put on a short leash after that, and when the veterans fiasco hit in 2006 he should have been tossed. Had we done that our play and ranking wouldn't have continued to stagnate and slide, and we wouldn't have excommunicated three great veterans we needed in the roster to balance things out.

But in our case he's not the great evil. There will always be smart cunning people out there to take your money. The root is the CSA, who stood idly by while a coach went five years past their best before date. And the ironic tragedy is that we've lanced the symptom but done nothing to deal with the problem.

How long do we have to wait for a governance path to be cleared? Will our children's children languish with the same sick pit in their stomachs?

quote:Originally posted by Vic

^ I don't think I've ever met a coach who didn't want anything but the best for their players. The problem is where they factor their own well-being into the equation, and what that costs the whole as a result. Let's just say he's no Che Guevara.

Great first three years, professionalized and got results.

By the fourth year he had lost the edge and things had outgrown him, and had the women's game been truly professionalized like he preached he would have been removed after the Mexico loss in 2004. At worst he should have been put on a short leash after that, and when the veterans fiasco hit in 2006 he should have been tossed. Had we done that our play and ranking wouldn't have continued to stagnate and slide, and we wouldn't have excommunicated three great veterans we needed in the roster to balance things out.

But in our case he's not the great evil. There will always be smart cunning people out there to take your money. The root is the CSA, who stood idly by while a coach went five years past their best before date. And the ironic tragedy is that we've lanced the symptom but done nothing to deal with the problem.

How long do we have to wait for a governance path to be cleared? Will our children's children languish with the same sick pit in their stomachs?

Not only stood idly but in the case of the veterans, the CSA shamefully refused to hear them and virtually ignored them. Then later on they stood mute and to this day they still fail to acknowledge the veterans.

• 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't need me to tell you. Not all veterans were players people will remember, those are the ones who will just fade into the sunset. Do you remember every single national team member who played more than a few games going back to the beginning of the program? I didn't think so.

Canada v. T&T CONCACAF qualifiers just got so much more interesting. And the next decade will be quite a bit tougher. The women's program in Mexico creeps slowly forward. The Caribbean isn't much of a worry, but Central America is another story. Costa Rica is just the first to market, there's another three or four countries in there that can ramp up and cause significant trouble.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Canada v. T&T CONCACAF qualifiers just got so much more interesting. And the next decade will be quite a bit tougher. The women's program in Mexico creeps slowly forward. The Caribbean isn't much of a worry, but Central America is another story. Costa Rica is just the first to market, there's another three or four countries in there that can ramp up and cause significant trouble.

I saw some female talent in Honduras in the fall and with the large diaspora in the US they can draw on a lot of talent.

The Canadian program will be sliding downwards unless we develop a real focus on creating a competitive environment for our players from u12 up.

Archived