Austin VS MLS

tmcmurph

The Aztex are going to play the New England Revolution, Houston Dynamo, and Columbus Crew during a two-week span starting in late February.

http://www.austinaztex.com/home/299210.html

While it is pre-season warm ups for all 4 teams that is a very interesting choice for Austin to make. For an expansion team in a lower league they picked 3 tough MLS sides to play.

The results won't matter but that is one hellofa start for a brand new team. We'll have to see how many seats they fill.

Interesting, as I doubt they will post any positive results (assuming the MLS sides play their A teams). I wonder how this will turn out for them from a marketing perspective, as to whether any negative results will end up hurting support from the average spectators or if bringing MLS sides will only help in garnering interest in the average Joe attendee.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Interesting, as I doubt they will post any positive results (assuming the MLS sides play their A teams). I wonder how this will turn out for them from a marketing perspective, as to whether any negative results will end up hurting support from the average spectators or if bringing MLS sides will only help in garnering interest in the average Joe attendee.

Yea if they get blown out 3 times they may have all the fans thinking they are not worth watching. Unless they have a good team assembled and are sure they will be competative it is quite a risk. Usually you want a warmup team that you can beat on, not the other way around.

^ Good point. I was thinking about this more along the lines of whether or not it would have any impact on the marketing of the team. If they get crushed all three games, will that affect their spectator turnout in any way? This will be interesting to keep an eye on.

^ Good point. I was thinking about this more along the lines of whether or not it would have any impact on the marketing of the team. If they get crushed all three games, will that affect their spectator turnout in any way? This will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Yea that was my take as well.

I also wonder if the idea is "we have the players under contract for a whole season so lets get more games out of them"? So there may be an incentive to bring in teams with a chance of attracting some media attention.

Its a brand new franchise and they need to stir up some media coverage. Would this thread even exist if the games were against a local allstar team or even another USL-1 club, never mind the mainstream media coverage this gutsy act has garnered. Smart marketing move. I doubt the Aztex will be thrashed and if they lose as they probably will, most folks will understand the circumstances and forgive them.

^ Hopefully that is the case, as it would be a shame if the team's public perception took a hit due to poor performances.

who cares about results in pre-season....its irrelevant.

This is a brilliant marketing move and shows that the owners of the Austin club understand who to get their new club's name in the papers in a state that is obsessed with that other form of "football"

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

who cares about results in pre-season....its irrelevant.

This is a brilliant marketing move and shows that the owners of the Austin club understand who to get their new club's name in the papers in a state that is obsessed with that other form of "football"

Aztecs have an ownership link with Stoke City ... so its clear they have ambition, and will be feeding U.S. player towards Stoke or selling off talent to MLS teams.

Seems to be smart move.

Club to Club is better deal then Everton has with the OSA, and clearly the OSA has no way to sell on players, as Aztecs will, and TFC could have if Mo knew how to run an Academy.

Archived