2009 MLS Combine List (NCAA Seniors) SuperDraft

squid2

Mo's take on his picks and the draft.

01/05/2009 3:56PM

Johnston ready for combine

Director of Soccer to scout talent in Fort Lauderdale

Toronto FC Media Relations

"Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston is making final preparations ahead of the 2009 MLS Combine which takes place in Fort Lauderdale starting on Friday (9th). Johnston will head to the combine with Head Coach John Carver to watch the top prospects ahead of the MLS SuperDraft. Assistant coaches Chris Cummins and Nick Dasovic will also be travelling to the combine as the Reds ensure they have as much knowledge as possible before heading to the SuperDraft in St Louis next week. "

full article here:

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090105&content_id=210592&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

highlites:

"our coaches will have everything at their disposal in terms of the college information and stats of the main guys we have been looking at"

"Johnston has been working for the past 12 months to ensure the club is in a good position heading into the SuperDraft. "We're holding two and four, and I foresee something good from that," he said."

"I like to work a year in advance. I looked at all of the juniors coming through in last years Atlantic Coast Conference and I've been keeping tabs on them for the full year. There are four or five guys that impressed me last year. You have to look at the ACC, the Big East and out West"

So Mo's mainly tracking Wake, Maryland, UConn & UCLA.

edit = Mo's video on aforementioned article, from TFC TV

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=346

just a comment on the video,

Wileman puckers right up and smacks a big wet one on Mo, re picking

Edu, Wynne, Altidore - they were front end 1st round cream-of-the-crop picks... John Ferguson Jr would have made the same picks.

Where Mo faulters is late round picks!!!

His "homework" is incomplete, his scouting staff is undermanned and under resourced or clueless!

TFC has nothing to show from 2008's draft!

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

There seem to be multiple reports coming out that we are shopping our picks. Ives reported as much along with some other sources.

Let's hope this draft is more like 2008 than 2007 if that's the case. Not to mention if anybody is going to be robbed blind for NCAA players it will be Hyndman.

Mo's popular.

Based on my sources for MLS information, he has been contacted by every MLS club, including Seattle.

When he deals the picks, look for a 2010 1st rounder coming our way when he deals 2009's picks. But make no mistake, the talent available at this years draft, Gen A and the Seniors, is far superior than what was available during last years draft, perhaps even better than 2008. So our 3 first round picks do have a bit of added value in that they are available and this year's draft has depth. All of the club's have acknowledged this.

So don't be surprised if at the end of the draft, TFC end up with Serioux, an MLS player yet to be named and another club's 1st round pick for next year's draft.

I say this because if Mo doesn't deliver a competitive team this year - he and Carver won't see next. So I don't see him relying on college boys who are unproven at the pro level to fill the holes and gaps that are in TFC's roster. The picks do have value to other clubs and will be exchanged for proven MLS players, and this direction would better serve Mo's longevity with ML$E/TFC.

Given Mo's P-O-V in preparing for a draft, his eye might already be on 2010 Gen A prospects like Sheanon Williams and/or Ike Opara.

And another thought, if TFC struggles at any point this season, Carver's under the bus, fasterthanthis!

I think the pressure's on and the ML$E MoJo clock is now ticking down.

The "UNOFFICIAL Generation adidas LIST" as per 3rd degree.com, Goff & Ives

Kevin Alston D Indiana Jr Signing with MLS 3rd Degree Ives has confirmed. A source very close to Alston contacted us to say Kevin has signed Ga and been invited to the combine. So does Goff.

Daniel Cruz F UNLV So Signed Ga SBI Ives reporting he has signed with MLS. On the MLS Ga possible list. US U-20

Stefan Frei GK California Jr Signed Ga 3rd Degree Ives has confirmed. Hearing he’s signed, same source as Husidic, not the player or agent. Might be the best keeper in College soccer.

Omar Gonzalez D Maryland Jr Signing with MLS Soccer Insider Goff says he’s signing with MLS. Has trained with FCD on and off the last couple years.

Jeremy Hall M Maryland Jr Signing with MLS Soccer Insider Goff says he’s signing with MLS.

Baggio Husidic M UIC Jr Signing Ga 3rd Degree Hearing he’s signed now, although not from a source as firm as the player or agent. Previously I had heard (from a completely difference contact) that he was interest in Europe, his agent contacted me to say the Europe interest information I had was “inaccurate and damaging to a player’s desire to play in MLS.” One can’t help but wonder why you have an agent before signing with MLS if the player wasn’t interested in Europe on at least some level since last time I checked signing with an agent killed college eligibility. Ives has confirmed.

Peri Marosevic F Michigan Jr signed Ga SBI SBI confirms as target. On the MLS Ga possible list.

Rodney Wallace D Maryland So Signing with MLS Soccer Insider Goff says he’s signing with MLS.

Steve Zakuani F Akron So Signed Ga 3rd Degree Ives has confirmed. Hearing from some informed people that he’s signed with MLS and rumor has it he’s the highest paid Ga signing.

copied/pasted direct from 3rddegree's tracking site

http://www.3rddegree.net/ga-tracking/

Gen A or Generation adidas, is a joint venture between the MLS and U.S. Soccer. These players do not count against the MLS senior roster or the salary cap, though they are considered professionals when they enter the program. Generation adidas players are also guaranteed scholarships to continue their college education if they choose to.

^ See that's why it's hard to take the MLS draft seriously or get too excited.

You have about 10 players signed to decent contracts. Everyone else gets scraps, and a fair number of the top NCAA players skip MLS entirely. Not that there aren't some quality prospects that come out of it, but it doesn't fill the need MLS assumes it does.

After about 6 or 7 of these "combines", I'm still lost on the real value of the event, especially pre-draft.

Is it more to accomodate an opportunity to interact with a player on a club's short list; or is it to actually justify how and who to select when a team's selection comes up.

The disparity that exists between programs in the NCAA is huge. Quality players always stand out in the NCAA. Technically, tactically, athletically - it's obvious who has skill and who does not. NCAA rules sometimes blurr a game, ie the unlimited substitutions, because players are platooned, interchanged and this sometimes disrupts the flow of not only the game, but an individual player.

MLS, sooner rather than later, must recognize that the NCAA is not the grooming ground for future MLS'rs.

Once you're past the 9 Gen A players, there's only another 10-15 players in this year's draft that will evolve into strong MLS players. Maybe another 8 become good MLS roll players that give a club some depth. I've seen the stats, I'll have to look them out and post them. They are interesting.

I think what the NCAA provides is just another development level, pre MLS, much like the USL, and of course the academys.

The Draft is a crapshoot. Especially if a team is unprepared.

How have Mo's picks from the previous 2 drafts benefited TFC?

Is Brian Edwards the only remaining player selected by Mo wearing our kit?

How has he utilized those past picks?

MLS and more to the point, TFC, have to take the academy route more seriously.

I'm thinking about the young lad who picked up the CSA's u17 POTY award, Russel Tiebert. He's from Niagara Falls, was involved with the NTC program, a brief stay with the TFCA u16, then jumped out west to relocate with the Whitecaps program.

Rhetorically speaking, "Why did he leave the TFC academy?" I know the answer but it's not for me speak for the player.

My point here is, he moved from an MLS affiliate to a USL affiliated academy.

Is that an forward step or a backward step?

TFC needs to get the top u14s, u15 and u16s into the fold and develop them while they are young. Develop the skill set, the mind set. Exposure to better players, constantly. By the time the players hit 17/18 its evident whther they have the "ability" to move on or be released. But at least TFC has more control and influence on that specific part of the development pool.

And the MLS, man I was some ticked when they didn't send me the release of the final Gen A list this morning.

Why's it a secret? Why does it have to be so complicated?

It's not like I'm asking for their position papers on the next Collective Agreement, which by the way will be very ugly.

I'll secure those elsewhere.

And Dino, thanks for the props.

finally,

Brief Bio's of the Gen A Class of 2009

Complete 2009 adidas MLS Combine Rosters

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090107&content_id=210926&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Combine runs Jan. 9-13 in Ft. Lauderdale.

Now we wait for the wheeling and dealing.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

^ See that's why it's hard to take the MLS draft seriously or get too excited.

You have about 10 players signed to decent contracts. Everyone else gets scraps, and a fair number of the top NCAA players skip MLS entirely. Not that there aren't some quality prospects that come out of it, but it doesn't fill the need MLS assumes it does.

and that's precisely why, if TFC can get good value for its picks, they should trade those bad boys for real players who will help TFC win games in 2009.

and Squid....you are welcome...much deserved

Day 1 of the combine is done.

My oldest son and his NCAA/NSCAA crowd are at the combine and his brief e-mail includes a couple of comments:

Chris Pointius's goal aside, this draft is no longer the year of the striker, none showed up on Saturday.

Far from the worst 2 games ever played at a draft combine, certainly better than last year's but not ACC quality either - nerves and rust in mostly everyones' "game". Sunday's games will be better.

Gen A players were outplayed by the top rated Seniors.

Frei is easily the standout keeper.

Zakuani & Husidic didn't show well, hopefully whoever covets them, covets them sufficiently that average play amongst and with "the best" will be overlooked.

- BTW, Zakuani's Gen A contract figure was talked at length, $175,000.

The lone Canadian, Daniel Revivo, was very very average. Wasn't noticeable because he was good, wasn't noticeable because he was bad; just noticeable only and when he tangled with Ganzalez and was left behind as roadkill.

Two players really stood out:

Sam Cronin - when he was subbed, his team fell apart. He played well, always in the right place and the right time. Made good decisions, and made them quickly. He's making a case to be a top 5 pick - 1st non Gen A selection - unfamiliar teammates, a 2 month lay-off, pro-coaches/career, poor field, nothing phased him. He stepped up.

- Dave Hertil, a D with very good speed. Again, in the right place and the right time. Really read the game well. As a result of game #1 on day 1 of the combine, HE truly stepped up! Opened a lot of eyes, if he wasn't prior to Saturday, he's now on every MLS club's short list. Will not be a 1st rounder, but if he improves or remains steady, he'll earn a roster spot.

Brian Schmetzer, Seattle's AC, confirmed the #1 pick is in play with the right offer.

Buzz Carrick (FC Dallas supporter) aka 3rd degree as his report from

day 1 on his web site

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/01/mls...eport-day-one/

edit: spelling

quote:Originally posted by squid2

...Edu, Wynne, Altidore - they were front end 1st round cream-of-the-crop picks... John Ferguson Jr would have made the same picks...

Jozy wasn't a 1st Round pick. He was drafted in the 2nd Round. Drafting in any sport is an inexact science. Hell, Mike Piazza will probably be a first ballot Hall of Famer and he wasn't drafted until the 62nd round, and even then it is rumoured that the Dodgers only drafted him because Tommy Lasorda was good friends with his family.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Jozy wasn't a 1st Round pick. He was drafted in the 2nd Round.

Correct; and that's Mo's best pick, ever, and that's what I should have included rather than lump JA with the others. My main point is Mo's been a bust in drafting for TFC.

Rec'd a quick call from my guy last night... not too much detail.

But here's the main talking point:

First 5 picks, as at today, in order is Seattle, TFC, LA Galaxy, TFC and FC Dallas. On Draft day, the order will be different! Everyone's looking to trade, up & DOWN!!! Way too early for details but lots of discussion, more than the acutual combine itself.

Cruz is the weakest Gen A player, perhaps ever!

Husidic is sliding.

Zakuani isn't performing like one would expect from a #1 pick.

Sadly our lone Canadian entry, Daniel Revivo, had another very average performance; at least he's not the worst player at the combine. He's the weaker of the mis-match when up against the better

players, which is sort of the idea of the combine.

A more detailed report from Buzz

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/01/mls-combine-report-day-two/

EDIT = reports from day's 1 & 2 in 1 spot

Buzz Carrick, 3rd degree

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/01/mls-combine-report-day-one/

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/01/mls-combine-report-day-two/

Joe Mauceri, Pro Player Pipeline

http://proplayerpipeline.wordpress.com/

Day 1 & 2 Reports

Ives

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/my-entry-1.html#more (Day 1 report)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=608925&sec=mls&root=mls&&&cc=5901 (Day 2 report)

http://mlsdraft.net/

Report for Combine Day 1

Report for Combine Day 2

Archived