2009 MLS Combine List (NCAA Seniors) SuperDraft

squid2

NCAA players (Seniors only) invited to the MLS Combine.

Listed by school.

Akron:

Evan Bush – GK

Albany:

Steward Ceus – GK

Boston College:

Chris Brown – GK

Paul Gerstenberger – D

Brown:

Rhett Bernstein – D

UC-Davis:

Quincy Amarikwa – F

Dylan Curtis – M/F

UCSB:

Chris Pontius – F

Nick Perera – F

Campbell:

Richard Jata – M

Coastal Carolina:

Kyle Russell – D

College of Charleston:

Wes Knight – D

Connecticut:

Oscar Castillo – D

Akeem Priestley – F

Creighton:

Seth Sinovic – D

Andrei Gotsmanov – M

Dartmouth:

Sean Milligan – GK

Duke:

Darius Barnes – D

Pav Castenada - M

Mike Grella – F

Evansville:

Alec Dufty – GK

FIU:

Juan Guerra – M

Furman:

Patrick Murray – M

George Mason:

Kwame Adjeman-Pamboe – F

Harvard:

Michael Fucito – F/M

Indiana:

Brad Ring – M

James Madison:

Nick Zimmerman – M

Liberty:

Josh Boateng – M/F

Louisville:

Aaron Clapham – M

Loyola College:

Milos Kocic – GK

Loyola University:

Keum Sung Kim – M

Maryland:

AJ Delagarza – D

Graham Zusi – F

Michigan State:

David Hertel – D

Doug DeMartin – F

UNC-Charlotte:

Chris Salvaggionne – F

UNC-Greensboro:

Jokul Elisabetarson – M

Notre Dame:

Matt Besler – D

Jack Traynor – D

Old Dominion:

Trevor Banks – D

UPenn:

Alex Grendi – M

Portland:

Bryan Irwin – F

Providence College:

Ryan Maduro – M

Quinnipiac:

Graciano Brito – F

St. John’s:

Neal Kitson – GK

Saint Louis:

Calum Angus – D

Bradon Barklage – F

Kyle Patterson – M

Santa Clara:

Babjide Ogunbiyi – D

South Florida:

Yohance Marshall – D

Jordan Seabrook – F/M

SMU:

Ryan Mirsky – D

Jeffrey Harwell – M

Tulsa:

Chris Clements – D

UVA:

Matt Poole – M

Wake Forest:

Lyle Adams – D

Evan Brown – D

Michael Lahoud – M/F

Sam Cronin – M

Marcus Tracy – F

Washington:

Raphael Cox – M

George John – M

Winthrop:

Otto Loewy – D

Daniel Revivo – F

Wisconsin-Green Bay:

Tosaint Ricketts – F

Listed by position:

GOALKEEPERS (7): Chris Brown (Boston College); Evan Bush (Akron); Steward Ceus (Albany); Alec Dufty (Evansville); Neal Kitson (St. John's); Milos Kocic (Loyola, Md.); Sean Milligan (Dartmouth).

DEFENDERS (20): Lyle Adams (Wake Forest); Calum Angus (Saint Louis); Trevor Banks (Old Dominion); Darius Barnes (Duke); Rhett Bernstein (Brown); Matt Besler (Notre Dame); Evan Brown (Wake Forest); Oscar Castillo (Connecticut); Chris Clements (Tulsa); A.J. Delagarza (Maryland); Paul Gerstenberger (Boston College); David Hertel (Michigan State); Wes Knight (Charleston); Otto Loewy (Winthrop); Yohance Marshall (South Florida); Ryan Mirsky (Southern Methodist); Babjide Ogunbiyi (Santa Clara); Kyle Russell (Coastal Carolina); Seth Sinovic (Creighton); Jack Traynor (Notre Dame).

MIDFIELDERS/FORWARDS (38): Kwame Adjeman-Pamboe (George Mason); Quincy Amarikwa (California-Davis); Brandon Barklage (Saint Louis); Josh Boateng (Liberty); Graciano Brito (Quinnipiac); Pav Castenada (Duke); Aaron Clapham (Louisville); Raphael Cox (Washington); Sam Cronin (Wake Forest); Dylan Curtis (California-Davis); Doug DeMartin (Michigan State); Jokul Elisabetarson (UNC Greensboro); Michael Fucito (Harvard); Andrei Gotsmanov (Creighton); Mike Grella (Duke); Alex Grendi (Penn); Juan Guerra (Florida International); Jeffrey Harwell (Southern Methodist); Bryan Irwin (Portland); Richard Jata (Campbell); George John (Washington); Keum Sung Kim (Loyola, Ill.); Michael Lahoud (Wake Forest); Ryan Maduro (Providence); Patrick Murray (Furman); Kyle Patterson (Saint Louis); Nick Perra (UC Santa Barbara); Chris Pontius (UC Santa Barbara); Matt Poole (Virginia); Akeem Priestley (Connecticut); Daniel Revivo (Winthrop); Tosaint Ricketts (Wisconsin-Green Bay); Brad Ring (Indiana); Chris Salvaggionne (Charlotte); Jordan Seabrook (South Florida); Marcus Tracy (Wake Forest); Nick Zimmerman (James Madison); Graham Zusi (Maryland).

Notes:

O'Brien White not listed due to injury

Akeem Priestley (Connecticut) is the straw that stirred the O'Brien White drink (u20 Jamaica teammates)

Canadian - Tosaint Ricketts – F

Canadian - Daniel Revivo – F

Generation Adidas players - non-seniors, to be announced in January.

Top senior glkp is not listed, UMass's Zack Simmons. He's committed to doing the post grad thing (law) and will play USL/PDL. MLS dev $$$

isn't of any interest to him. He'll play MLS in 3 or 4 years but closer to his terms than MLS's.

Another glaring omission is Brad Rusin, UCLA, D; he is going back to Europe which explains why he's not listed, but he'd be a good supp draft pick (aka "a Lapira like" pick).

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Does anybody know how Ricketts did with Green Bay? I thought he was only a junior, and then he was supposedly on trial in Sweden.

IMO: a pretty unimpressive season.

A weak soccer conference, and not the stiffest of competition either.

He didn't tear his conference up. But he was the top team scorer.

He'd be better off trying his luck again in Europe, the CSL or in the USL playing regular rather than sitting on the TFC bench on a dev contract.

Bio

http://uwgbathletics.collegesports.c...tosaint00.html

Stats

http://uwgbathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Did you miss the news that reserve division has been discontinued by MLS and that there are now as few as four development roster slots available per team? That changes the landscape considerably. Given TFC need three of those four roster slots for Ibrahim, Rosenlund and Attakora Gyan as things stand and have three first round draft picks that may well be used to acquire another Generation Adidas player, I don't think it is safe to assume that a player like Ricketts will merit an offer from TFC. Coaches like Dasovic and Bent will be pushing hard for their best U-18 Academy players to get any opportunities that are going that way and then there is the question of whether Gaudet, Melo and Gala deserve another season to show what they can do.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Did you miss the news that reserve division has been discontinued by MLS and that there are now as few as four development roster slots available per team? That changes the landscape considerably. Given TFC need three of those four roster slots for Ibrahim, Rosenlund and Attakora Gyan as things stand

They technically don't need those roster slots for those three, they can all be put on the senior roster (in fact I thought Ibrahim always was). Nana might still want to retain his eligibility to play in Canadian college ball and thus remain on the dev. roster but the other two should be on the senior roster next year, especially as TFC will need to sign at least one more Canuck to their senior roster if they want to get up to 20 and Rosenlund seems like a prime (and affordable) candidate.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

They technically don't need those roster slots for those three, they can all be put on the senior roster...

Hence why I wrote "as things stand" and mentioned some of the alternatives to Ricketts for any developmental roster spots that do open up. :) Generation Adidas players definitely form part of the development roster, by the way:-

http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

B) DEVELOPMENTAL ROSTER

MLS teams shall not have more than 10 developmental players on their developmental roster at any time (unless a player is added as a season-ending injury replacement). Developmental players can be either domestic or international and must be 25 years of age or younger during the calendar year of competition. These players do not count against a team's salary budget. They are signed to non-guaranteed contracts and thus, can be waived at any time. Teams are permitted an unlimited number of signings during a given season to ensure all 10-man developmental roster spots are occupied at any one time. Generation adidas players and domestic and international underclassmen, form part of a team's Developmental Roster. They are acquired by MLS teams through the SuperDraft, Lottery, Discovery or waiver system (see below) if they join the League after the SuperDraft.

Having Sutton, Brennan and Harmse on the senior roster enables 15 non-Canadian senior roster players plus Ibrahim on the developmental roster at the moment. It will be interesting to see if an extra international roster spot or two is/are traded for. Probably a good move anyway as I believe the extra ones obtained for Cancela and Phelan run out at the end of the 2009 and 2010 seasons, respectively. Rosenlund and/or Attakora Gyan on the league minimum is not the only option in other words but I suspect at least one of them will get a well deserved pay raise that way.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

If Carver really likes a kid from the Academy, is he able to put him in the starting eleven straight away, or does the kid need to first sign a contract with MLS and then clear waivers or something?

Not able to put them in the starting eleven or even on the bench straight away as far as I am aware. An exception might be an emergency callup when fewer than 15 signed players are available.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Not able to put them in the starting eleven or even on the bench straight away as far as I am aware. An exception might be an emergency callup when fewer than 15 signed players are available.

I don't think they have accesss at all actually. Remember that stupid rule where mls clubs can sign a maximum of something like 1 or 2 academy players to pro (or dev) contracts per year. And on top of that, you can only do that once the league approves.

Talk about a stupid system.

If anyone is in Florida between Jan 10-13

here is some more combine information.

Combine HQ and host hotels are The Sheraton Yankee Clipper Hotel and the Harbor Beach Marriott.

The coaches and composition of each roster will be determined at a later date.

The schedule of matches and kick-off times are as follows:

Saturday, January 10

2:30 PM Predator PowerSwerve vs. adiTunit

4:30 PM adiPure vs. adidas Tiro

Sunday, January 11

3:00 PM adiTunit vs. adidas Tiro

5:00 PM Predator PowerSwerve vs adiPure

Tuesday, January 13

9:15 AM Predator PowerSwerve vs adidas Tiro

11:15 AM adiPure vs adiTunit

As in the past, the matches are open to the public.

Kickoff times are ET. All matches are at Lockhart Stadium.

Bits & Pieces, or Odds & Ends about the superDraft.

Combine Coaches:

Santa Clara University Head Coach, Cam Rast has been selected to coach Team adidas Tiro.

Caleb Porter, a former MLS player and current head coach of Akron, will coach Team Predator PowerSwerve.

Entering his ninth season at Providence University, former MLS player Chaka Daley will lead Team adiTunit.

University of Notre Dame Head Coach Bobby Clark will lead Team adiPure.

The SuperDraft 2009

The 2009 MLS SuperDraft will be held on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009 in St. Louis, Mo. 1:00 - 5:30 in the convention centre's ballroom. ESPN will again provide a degree of "live" coverage.

This is a departure from previous drafts which where typically held on the Friday of the annual NSCAA convention.

FYI.... the NSCAA convention schedule

http://www.nscaa.com/convention_schedule.php

a quick diversion from the topic, but posted as an FYI....

Some of the featured clinicians and speakers lined up are as follows:

Ex CSA T-D Dick Bate allegedly will be making his NSCAA debut, he has returned to the English FA;

US women's HC Pia Sundhage, will lead 2 clinics;

And Jorge Barcellos, the Brazil Women's National Team Coach will also be leading a clinic;

After a long abscence, Craig Brown, a former Scottish National Team Coach, marks his return to the NSCAA;

The Australian Football Federation's education Manager is a featured speaker;

Enrique Hrabina, Assistant Director of Coaching, Argentine Coaches Association is a festured speaker/clinician;

Sergio Gregoria Da Silva, of Fluminense FC, Brazil, is a featured speaker/clinician;

KNVB, as always, marks their presance, u21 HC Hans Schrijver will be a keynote speaker;

As will Anson Dorance, HC of 19 time NCAA women's soccer champions, UNC.

Steffi Jones, FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 Organizing Committee President is leading a panel;

The always endearing Tosh Farrell, Head of International Football Development, Everton FC is back;

Mike Forde, Chelsea FC Performance Director.

and for future considerations:

2010 - Jan. 13-17, Philadelphia, Pa.

2011 - Jan. 12-16, Baltimore, Md.

2012 - Jan. 11-15, Kansas City, Mo.

2013 - Jan. 16-20, Indianapolis, Ind.

2014 - Jan. 15-19, Philadelphia, Pa.

2015 - Jan. 14-18, Minneapolis, Minn.

2016 - Jan. 13-17, Site TBD

2017 - Jan. 17-21, Site TBD

2018 - Jan. 17-21, Philadelphia, Pa.

A head's up!

Toronto could host 2016 or 2017.

The Canadian branch/arm of the NSCAA has previously submitted a bid to host (Toronto convention centre on Front Street) - it was scuttled due to "being in Canada" and SARS. The bid was very good/solid with some great partnerships but the NSCAA is concerned members won't support the event in Canada. This event is poorly supported when it goes west, never mind North. HOWEVER, MLS now has TFC, the optics have changed and discussions are ongoing.

You heard it here first!

Finally - I've always seen a good number of fartcatchers from the OSA at these events. Usually they openly snear at this organization, but every January they are attendees - some strut around in their Everton/OSA branded kit, others don't. And not to dismiss our CSA cast, EP has been a featured clinician over years past.

The Academy crowd (nationally) are also well represented at this event. Although I've yet to see LT - is this the year LT?

for those who care ...

MLS is scrapping the supplentary draft, effective this year.

source: http://www.soccerbyives.net/

Ives also has his mock draft, version 1.0.

And from 3rddegree.net ... (an FC Dallas supporter)

Buzz has some interesting observations from last year's draft.

Top Ten Right & Wrong from Last Winter

http://www.3rddegree.net/2008/12/top-ten-right-wrong-from-last-winter/

Buzz's network is top notch on draft info. Well worth the time.

IMO, no one does it any better.

Also another update on his Gen A tracking page.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

The Academy crowd (nationally) are also well represented at this event. Although I've yet to see LT - is this the year LT?

I'd love too but the gods are conspiring against me. Last year I was on a Leave of Absence from work to help grow SAAC, but Jan. 17/08 was my 10th wedding anniversary... Now it's hard to get the time off work... :) The usual suspects from SAAC will be there though...

Sounds/reads like Maryland is loosing 3 underclassmen.

Gonzalez, Hall & Wallace are Gen A players. Goff & Ives report they are close to signing, my MLS source sez they have signed.

Also,

Sheanon Williams (pronounced Shan-non), born in 1990, is also on the verge of signing. He's a freshman D at UNC, fresh from Bradenton, currently a member of the u20s, he has 3 years with the USSF u17s. Trialed with FC Twente. Parents are from T&T, he was born in Boston area. Plays as a D with UNC & the USSF, developed in the Boston Bolt youth program as a forward so he's had some top notch coaching (a few ex Revs coach within the Bolt program). Revs track him while DC & NYRB keep an eye on him too. People in the know from the Boston area say he's further ahead in his development than Parkhurst was when they were similar ages/stages. Versatile, a good decision maker, loads of raw skill very coachable, strong right foot, and has speed. He'd be good cover/depth for Wynne.

If you've seen UNC this year, he's the one with the long throw.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

The usual suspects from SAAC will be there though...

As to be expected,

But I can't say the same for a few of my S Ont guys who are taking a year off... our subbuteo tournament won't be the same. ... but I'm looking forward to the rib fest, jazz, more ribs & footy - it'll be a good 5 days.

What about San Jose in March - you guys going to the work shops?

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Also,

Sheanon Williams (pronounced Shan-non), born in 1990, is also on the verge of signing. He's a freshman D at UNC, fresh from Bradenton, currently a member of the u20s, he has 3 years with the USSF u17s. Trialed with FC Twente. Parents are from T&T, he was born in Boston area. Plays as a D with UNC & the USSF, developed in the Boston Bolt youth program as a forward so he's had some top notch coaching (a few ex Revs coach within the Bolt program). Revs track him while DC & NYRB keep an eye on him too. People in the know from the Boston area say he's further ahead in his development than Parkhurst was when they were similar ages/stages. Versatile, a good decision maker, loads of raw skill very coachable, strong right foot, and has speed. He'd be good cover/depth for Wynne.

If you've seen UNC this year, he's the one with the long throw.

I don't profess to watching much NCAA footy (I'm not a big fan) but I did see UNC twice and I definitely did notice Williams. He definitely stood out on what was a pretty good team. Should be a very deep class of Defenders in this draft.

• 3 weeks later...

for those who care....

1/5/2009 2:58 AM

Monday MLS Breakdown: Generation Adidas Players Change MLS

Generation adidas players have drawn most of the focus ahead of next week's SuperDraft. Goal.com's Kyle McCarthy explains how roster and salary protections granted by MLS - and the inability of teams to keep draft picks on the roster long-term - makes GA players a smart choice.

full article here:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/01/05/1041884/generation-adidas-players-change-mls-game

as a matter of clarity, it does not appear that any of the US u17 are signing Gen A contracts, so Sheanon Williams isn't in the mix this year.

So for any Draft junkies or poolies, here's the most recent stuff:

Generation A list (recent developments)

http://www.3rddegree.net/ga-tracking/

Goalkeeper pool for '09 draft deep in prospects

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=602848&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

Senior defender class solid but lacks sizzle

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=604792&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

Midfielder crop lacking offensive threats

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=605844&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

Bumper crop of senior forwards heading to MLS

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=606840&sec=mls&root=mls&&cc=5901

Each of the ESPN overviews written by Buzz Carrick, who is 3rddegree.com - i.e. an FC Dallas super supporter

and don't forget about Goff & Ives, they compete with each other to break info and have good sources..

Goff: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

fwiw, Goff has a decent read for today.

Ives: http://www.soccerbyives.net/

There seem to be multiple reports coming out that we are shopping our picks. Ives reported as much along with some other sources.

Let's hope this draft is more like 2008 than 2007 if that's the case. Not to mention if anybody is going to be robbed blind for NCAA players it will be Hyndman.

Archived