The CEO question

Ben Knight

I have to agree with Trillium on one point. We will never get out of this malaise if the same people who are responsible for governing (CSA) are also the ones given the responsibility to do the work.

The CSA has to empower clubs to implement the standards that they (CSA) put forth. The CSA must set the criteria, set up the 'templates' for competitions, facility development, Coaching Education etc. and then monitor compliance. They also need to be involved in supporting their members with information and resources to help them move forward.

This system that is being proposed is eerily similar to what we have. Currently there are a bunch of NTC centres run by the CSA/provinces that essentially duplicate services provided by the club and affect a miniscule percentage of the soccer population. Granted, the elite player base is a small one, but many have argued that the current process does not ensure that the correct 'miniscule percentage' has been identified.

My belief is that our system will never work efficiently until the governing bodies (CSA, provinces & Districtst) realize this one simple concept: Governing Bodies should NOT be in the player development business.

It is this simple, yet impactful ‘moment of clarity’ that will finally overcome the inertia of mediocrity in our soccer community. Governing bodies should govern – set up the playing field, then observe and teak as required.

Instead of paying a member of technical staff a full-time salary to work with 20-40 players at a time for 6 months of the year, have him spend 2 years training coaches across his constituency (distric/province/country) and then start scouting players that are being development under his system. Suddenly he now has access to dozens/hundreds/ thousands of players in which he can use his expertise to identify the cream of the crop.

Instead of being seen as competition by the clubs, governing bodies will be their enablers – giving them the tools they need to become meaningful and integral cogs in the player development machine.

With good leadership the ambitious goals of programs such as Gerry’s can still be achieved. For example, the CSA does not have to control player registration databases in order to attract corporate sponsorship. They just have to make the business case clear enough so that its membership cannot afford to not fall in line. Provide incentives to clubs that get their acts together. If only 50% of clubs can meet the criteria, then only 50% of clubs will receive benefits from any corporate support. Right now, the CSA is going to ask for $15M/year more from its members, and then pump that money into programs that it runs itself, so the net effect to the ones forking over the dough will be negligle, at best.

It comes back to my main point - Governing Bodies should NOT be in the player development business. Under this concept is grasped, we will be spinning our wheels.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Couldn't the clubs also decide that the CSA does nothing for them and then vote that registration levees be abolished? Thus leaving the CSA as a virtual shell operation that puts us in an even worse position then we are in now?

Of course they could .. but if that is your fear that allows you to continue supporting the status quo you dont know much about the clubs and people in them.

The essential question is democratic and responsive control of the CSA by voting membership of all clubs in Canada to elect the CSA leadership.

Coming from that is as LT has said the need for governing bodies to get out of the job of training players ...

Soccer begins in clubs, let them control it in a democratic way.

^ I'm not supporting the status quo, i'm just pointing out that sometimes you should be careful what you wish for. I'm sure there are lots of good people in the club community, but i've been told there are also alot of people who don't give a rats ass about anything but there own little worlds and feel the levees are an unnecessary tax to support a useless NT program.

I will mention again that A LOT of what people are saying here was already pointed out in the Deloitte study. There was another thread in this forum regarding the "CSA Strategic Plan" where someone said they emailed the CSA for a copy of the Deloitte reported that is referenced in the Bibliography. The CSA responded this is not available to the public.

Well everyone... our friends behind http://www.canadiansoccerfederation.ca/ have a copy there for download.

Everyone should read this. Somehow someone somewhere has to make the CSA implement some of these very good recommendations.

Couldn't the clubs also decide that the CSA does nothing for them and then vote that registration levees be abolished? Thus leaving the CSA as a virtual shell operation that puts us in an even worse position then we are in now?

This is exactly what is unfolding as you/we speak.

It's commonplace in BC, Alberta and occuring with greater numbers in Ontario. I have a contact who tells me that the matter is up to a vote in January for 1 club in Halifax.

The CSA, the provincial members and district associations will soon see shortfalls in budget projections.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

This is exactly what is unfolding as you/we speak.

It's commonplace in BC, Alberta and occuring with greater numbers in Ontario. I have a contact who tells me that the matter is up to a vote in January for 1 club in Halifax.

The CSA, the provincial members and district associations will soon see shortfalls in budget projections.

Imagine if the 45k plus players in the EODSA split and take there money and leave the OSA/CSA tax system, the EODSA could then spend the money locally ... say a million a year on buying land and developing fields as well as running its regional league.

They would get a huge value for the local game, and not have to worry about the top of the pyramid, those players who aspire to the top would simply go to play with a CSA affliated club.. for example the Ottawa Fury, and to heck with provincial etc.

Leaving the CSA to find its own funding for the National team programs out of professional soccer revenues and sponsorships.

The danger is lurking for the OSA and CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Sorry to say it Ben your being hoodwinked by Gentille, its the same old crap there is only one issue to be dealt with before you do anything else.

You have to change the CSA board to being directly elected by all Canadian soccer clubs at a National annual convention. You have to make the CSA a democratic organisation where over a period of two years all executives can be voted out and replaced.

Anything else still leaves it to the back room boys to play games.

Do not be sucked in it is systemic change you need at the CSA, they have the power to do it, in fact it would bring them in line with FIFA guidelines.

Once you are democratic the clubs who should be and are the ones creating players, can make structural changes to develop leagues / and revenue streams.

Gentille is selling a set of centres because he does not believe in the clubs, and that my friend Ben is where soccer begins and ends at the clubs.

No disrespect to Mr Gentille, he IS/HAS been a very good and loyal foot soldier for the grass roots.

But I'm with Trillium on this one.

Until the CSA changes the voting, i.e. amends the weighted voted (which is tied to registration dollars generated) to a 1 club = 1 vote scheme (truely democratic), and then becomes the TRUE administrator of soccer in Canada, we're destined for contiued failure, domestically and internationally.

Any "national" like league needs to be TOTALLY independent of the CSA and its provincial association branches.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

what is to say that the "regional soccer centers" that Mr. Gentile is talking about would not be clubs, in the same way the USSF has designated certain clubs in all the regions of the USA to be US Player Development Academies.

The problem in Canada, like the US, is that there are simply too many clubs playing competitive soccer, thereby dilluting the talent pool. Our best players need to play more high quality games and receive lots of high quality traiing...this is fundamental platform of the USSF program, which in 5-10 years will start paying huge dividends.

Gerry most certainly believes that clubs are the heart of soccer development, based on conversations I have had with him. The reality though is that not all clubs are created equal and for soccer to progress, I believe that some clubs need to be identified as development hubs and that is where the best players in each region need to be congregating.

From Gentilles concept...

4. Hire 20 UEFA “A” licensed international coaches to administer the national player development curriculum at each of the 20 national training centers Replacing Dale Mitchell, one man, with another person, and to expect results to change simply makes no sense and has been proven to be just a short term solution and a long term failure. We need a team of professional international coaches across Canada, not one, to train our brightest young talent 5 days a week. Bonuses should

be paid to the staff of training centers when their players sign professional contracts. Each facility’s international technical director would be required to train 20 of the best Canadian apprentice coaches from clubs or academies surrounding the national training center. These apprentices would also be required to scout the areas they serve for new young talent and insure those players are identified and exposed to the national training curriculum. The apprentice coaches would also be required to conduct regular coaching sessions for club and academy youth coaches across each province. With this plan Canada would develop an additional 400 world class

coaches in less than 10 years.

Note he sees the 20 A coaches training players then earning bonuses when they sign pro contracts.. no mention of clubs... at all, just money for the twenty choosen ones.

Its a mugs game, follow the money .. and if its not flowing to clubs its a wrong decision.

Hell we cant even get clubs to be compensated now for developing a player .. allow that first and let the clubs have a new revenue stream to take utilize.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

My belief is that our system will never work efficiently until the governing bodies (CSA, provinces & Districtst) realize this one simple concept: Governing Bodies should NOT be in the player development business.

It is this simple, yet impactful ‘moment of clarity’ that will finally overcome the inertia of mediocrity in our soccer community. Governing bodies should govern – set up the playing field, then observe and teak as required.

Beautiful!

Well stated!!

Thank you Lino

^ I'm not supporting the status quo, i'm just pointing out that sometimes you should be careful what you wish for. I'm sure there are lots of good people in the club community, but i've been told there are also alot of people who don't give a rats ass about anything but there own little worlds and feel the levees are an unnecessary tax to support a useless NT program.

You are absolutely correct.

With the good comes the bad, but for the majority of people involved in football here in Canada, the NT program is not useless, but an unknown. Its those who aspire to the "power" positions but who fall short that more often than not refer to the NT program negatively. Its those people who have the chronic short term vision, failing to see beyond their own future and involvement.

Our top 2-3% of players, coaches and referees have to find a way to the top, early bloomers, late bloomers - the lot, and the best path is through an academy or a club or a combination of the two!

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Imagine if the 45k plus players in the EODSA split and take there money and leave the OSA/CSA tax system, the EODSA could then spend the money locally ... say a million a year on buying land and developing fields as well as running its regional league.

They would get a huge value for the local game, and not have to worry about the top of the pyramid, those players who aspire to the top would simply go to play with a CSA affliated club.. for example the Ottawa Fury, and to heck with provincial etc.

Leaving the CSA to find its own funding for the National team programs out of professional soccer revenues and sponsorships.

The danger is lurking for the OSA and CSA.

Sounds and looks like a good idea to me.

I'm working with people in two separate districts in Southern Ontario (Niagara & Toronto) to implement this exact type of plan.

quote:Originally posted by dgroen

I will mention again that A LOT of what people are saying here was already pointed out in the Deloitte study. There was another thread in this forum regarding the "CSA Strategic Plan" where someone said they emailed the CSA for a copy of the Deloitte reported that is referenced in the Bibliography. The CSA responded this is not available to the public.

Well everyone... our friends behind http://www.canadiansoccerfederation.ca/ have a copy there for download.

Everyone should read this. Somehow someone somewhere has to make the CSA implement some of these very good recommendations.

What is the back story on this report? I took a quick read and, to me, it is rather sensible. It is clear, however, that is has been ignored? Anyone know why? If it is simply that the current director base didn't want to cede any power, then why was the study commissioned?

quote:Originally posted by dgroen

What is the back story on this report? I took a quick read and, to me, it is rather sensible. It is clear, however, that is has been ignored? Anyone know why? If it is simply that the current director base didn't want to cede any power, then why was the study commissioned?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The CSA is an absolute mess. The entire Nycamp/Simoes/Linford affair was damaging as hell. But there is a lot of good that has happened in the last few years that can be directly attributed to the work of the CSA. Its too bad that some people have agendas and try to twist every minute detail into their favour, no matter how illogical it really is.

There are many good and quality people employed by the CSA and the various provincial associations. Too bad many are afraid of losing their jobs if they speak up, let alone out!

Which is why massive change to the CSA's constitution is long overdue and very necessary.

But, here's another obstacle, quality candidates have sought out Holger, Dick Bate, Linford and Nycamp and their first hand experience doesn't translate well to people thinking about taking on the challenge that is football in Canada.

I'm sorry to say this but I think its going to get worse before it gets any better.

quote:Originally posted by SF

What is the back story on this report? I took a quick read and, to me, it is rather sensible. It is clear, however, that is has been ignored? Anyone know why? If it is simply that the current director base didn't want to cede any power,

Pretty much.

The executive and BoD is a closed network, an old boys club, favours owed vs favour due. The executive cut their teeth and put their time in on the BoD; a majority are former provincial association presidents. All are volunteers who have full-time responsibilities other than football.Majority have no more or no less football acumen than many Voyageur members. But its the politics, the control aspect, the influence or power and for more than a couple, its a peception of entitlement and the perks.

quote:Originally posted by SF

then why was the study commissioned?

CSA executive's at the time were nothing but short term visionairies. None of the execs or BoDs saw or anticipated the sweeping changes that were required. The results of the D&T report were a shock to the CSA blazer & tie set. Too big and too bitter of a pill to swallow.

D&T took a professoinal approach to their audit of the whole operation and CSA employees were very helpful and cooperative with the Deloitte people in assessing both short & long term vantage points.

Problem was/is the BoDs are "Men-in-Waiting" for their slice of the executive pie. Although the executive has changed, the mentality has not!

The next generation of exec's are no better suited than those past or currently serving the association - perhaps better prepared because every year more of the "natives" get a bit more restless...

Maybe Dino or Stephen (CSF guys) can shed more light, they met with some Deloitte people for more insight.

In Summary

This document was presented at the 2008 OSA AGM Seminar: Canadian Soccer Association Strategic Plan. The author is Neil Brown, President of Oakville SC and partner at Deloitte & Touche. His office was the one that prepared the “infamous” report for the CSA. It never saw the light of day until it miraculously showed up on the Canadian Soccer Federation website.

Focus and Resources are required from CSA on the structure that actually delivers programs and LTPD. More club involvement is necessary. This should be the #1 priority.

Governance reform is needed to regain credibility. Transparency and accountability are a significant issue of concern. What is the plan here? Is this issue acknowledged?

Commitment to fixing the current structure is required rather than gambling on short term results. Other than having a $25 million annual budget, what is CSA’s investment strategy?

Before asking for new membership fees, CSA must start changing and delivering. Program deliverables, timelines and budgets!

CSA's Strategic Plans and Priorities, Our Club's Perspective

have a click here

http://www.insidesoccer.net/?p=1868

ByTheWay

The Oakville Soccer Club is the largest club in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

have a click here

ByTheWay

A good read.

Good post Saul,

btw, happy to see that your good health continues

I'd like to see the Oakville SC do three things:

Withhold the fees, including the $53,000 increase over 2008;

Start their own Acadamy program, join LT's group but also continue as a club; and

launch a PDL franchise (on the ladies side, a W-League franchise).

Oakville has the resources to do all and lead the way here in Ontario.

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

In Summary

This document was presented at the 2008 OSA AGM Seminar: Canadian Soccer Association Strategic Plan. The author is Neil Brown, President of Oakville SC and partner at Deloitte & Touche. His office was the one that prepared the “infamous” report for the CSA. It never saw the light of day until it miraculously showed up on the Canadian Soccer Federation website.

Focus and Resources are required from CSA on the structure that actually delivers programs and LTPD. More club involvement is necessary. This should be the #1 priority.

Governance reform is needed to regain credibility. Transparency and accountability are a significant issue of concern. What is the plan here? Is this issue acknowledged?

Commitment to fixing the current structure is required rather than gambling on short term results. Other than having a $25 million annual budget, what is CSA’s investment strategy?

Before asking for new membership fees, CSA must start changing and delivering. Program deliverables, timelines and budgets!

have a click here

ByTheWay

I've been waiting anxiously for this document to get posted online. it is a fantastic read. Mr. Brown and the OSC executive did a great job of preparing this analysis. I truly hope that other clubs in Ontario and across the country will read it, digest it and then agree that blindly accepting the CSA's $5 per head registration tax at this time would be the wrong choice to make.

BTW, Oakville is apparently the largest soccer club in North America, with more than 10,000 registered players

CSA executive's at the time were nothing but short term visionairies. None of the execs or BoDs saw or anticipated the sweeping changes that were required. The results of the D&T report were a shock to the CSA blazer & tie set. Too big and too bitter of a pill to swallow.

D&T took a professoinal approach to their audit of the whole operation and CSA employees were very helpful and cooperative with the Deloitte people in assessing both short & long term vantage points.

Problem was/is the BoDs are "Men-in-Waiting" for their slice of the executive pie. Although the executive has changed, the mentality has not!

The next generation of exec's are no better suited than those past or currently serving the association - perhaps better prepared because every year more of the "natives" get a bit more restless...

Maybe Dino or Stephen (CSF guys) can shed more light, they met with some Deloitte people for more insight.

Squid...you pretty much summed it up. Nothing more for me to add.

Pretty much.

The executive and BoD is a closed network, an old boys club, favours owed vs favour due. The executive cut their teeth and put their time in on the BoD; a majority are former provincial association presidents. All are volunteers who have full-time responsibilities other than football.Majority have no more or no less football acumen than many Voyageur members. But its the politics, the control aspect, the influence or power and for more than a couple, its a peception of entitlement and the perks.

If the Board undertook such a study and seriously thought any other conclusion could have been reached, then they are even less qualified than I would have otherwise thought. I was expecting someone to tell me they had one of their funders (eg the government, a prominent sponsor) insisted on the study.

I have seen a few of these studies. They are generally boilerplate (that is not to say they are wrong). Anyone with even a modest degree of business/governance experience and an IQ slightly above dead would be able to tell you what the conclusions would be before they were issued when applied to an organization like the CSA.

Unreal.

Archived